Start by marking “Don't Make Me Stop Now: Stories” as Want to Read:
Don't Make Me Stop Now: Stories

Don't Make Me Stop Now: Stories

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
These eleven arresting, comic, and moving stories by acclaimed writer Michael Parker testify to the driving force of love, the lengths to which we'll go to claim it and pursue it, the delusions we'll float to keep it going, the torment that goes part and parcel with it. And despite all of the above, the absolute necessity of it, no matter its consequences.
Whether it's a
Published September 1st 2012 by Algonquin Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Stop Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Make Me Stop Now

Sally
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story, "Hidden Meanings, Treatment of Time, Supreme Irony, and Life Experiences in the Song 'Ain't Gonna Bump No More No Big Fat Woman,'" is exactly as wonderful as I remembered.
Joy
Jul 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heard about it on NPR, that it was a collection of stories about breaking-up, strange relationships, etc. Started reading it but then I started to move on/make progress so I stopped reading it so as not to make myself feel badly again. But I've since picked it up and read it sporadically, skipping around depending on my mood. Some parts are funny, others kind of flat.

Ok, I've decided I can't finish the last story or two left. My interest waned as my mood improved and I decided that, as much as
Allison
Jan 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This was a collection of stories about (mostly broken) relationships. I had trouble getting into it as some of the stories/characters did not hold my interest very well, and despite the title of the book, I contemplated stopping bothering to read it. However a few of the stories were quite good like "Muddy water, turn to Wine" and "The Right to Remain."
Faythe Swanson
Thought this book might be good to read during Valentine's Day, but unfortunately, it didn't really live up to my expectations. Some of the short stories in here were good & thought-provoking, while others just didn't do anything for me. This book was just....okay. Nothing to write home about - that's for sure.
Golda
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the broken relationship stories especially Muddy Water, Turns to Wine.
Indra
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one from the stalker's point of view was particularly effective.
Taylor
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as I'd hoped. Interesting stories, but not on the same level as other short story writers (David Sedaris et al)
Marjorie
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
he's a pal...and a good writer.
Terry Perrel
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some day grad students will study the stories of Michael Parker, one of our country's finest writers. My question is: why not sooner than later? Why not now?
Sarah Honenberger
i'll read anything he writes. A true master.
Jesse
Mar 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit
gave it up after a few stories. more work to read than pleasure.
Christy
  • Nancy Cunard: Heiress, Muse, Political Idealist
  • Emigrants and Exiles: Ireland and the Irish Exodus to North America
  • Teenagers from Mars
  • Babe in Paradise: Fiction
  • Mr. Speaker!: The Life and Times of Thomas B. Reed The Man Who Broke the Filibuster
  • The Worst Years of Your Life: Stories for the Geeked-Out, Angst-Ridden, Lust-Addled, and Deeply Misunderstood Adolescent in All of Us
  • Boswell: A Modern Comedy
  • The Ruling Caste: Imperial Lives in the Victorian Raj
  • The Runner: A True Account of the Amazing Lies and Fantastical Adventures of the Ivy League Impostor James Hogue
  • Pimpernel and Rosemary
  • More Powerful Than Dynamite: Radicals, Plutocrats, Progressives, and New York's Year of Anarchy
  • Just Don't Call Me Ma'am: How I Ditched the South, Forgot My Manners, and Managed to Survive My Twenties with (Most of) My Dignity Still Intact
  • The Twilight Years: The Paradox of Britain Between the Wars
MICHAEL PARKER is the author of five novels – Hello Down There, Towns Without Rivers, Virginia Lovers, If You Want Me To Stay, The Watery Part of the World and two collections of stories, The Geographical Cure and Don’t Make Me Stop Now. His fiction and nonfiction have appeared in various journals including Five Points, the Georgia Review, The Idaho Review, the Washington Post, the New York Times ...more
More about Michael Parker...