Start by marking “Surrender!: The Life-Changing Power of Doing God's Will” as Want to Read:
Surrender!: The Life-Changing Power of Doing God's Will

Surrender!: The Life-Changing Power of Doing God's Will

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Father Richard will help you see how surrendering to the will of God paves the way to obtaining the peace "which surpasses all understanding, that will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (see Phil 4:7).
Published September 14th 2011 by Our Sunday Visitor (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender!

Essential Catholic
Let there be no mistake - - - Fr. Larry tells it like it is. Like it or not, Fr. Larry Richards loves his faith and wants to help every Christian to embrace the abundant love that God has for them. He is unashamedly Catholic to the core and makes no excuses for his zeal and enthusiasm. Some people love Fr. Larry. Others find him to be "too Catholic." Regardless, he speaks with Love. Knows Scripture. Knows Tradition. Know Catechism. And makes no apologies for speaking the Truth.

This book will mak
Stuart
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will is another book that Our Sunday Visitor (OSV) sent me in exchange for a review. I was super excited to read this book, as Fr. Larry Richards gave a men's retreat in Mobile, I was unable to attend due to Catechist training. My friend talked for months about how great the retreat is, and got this very book from his conference. When, OSV I opened my box and saw this book in there, I was super excited to dive in this book.

Unfortunately, the book
djt
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
After attending a parish mission presented by Fr.Larry Richards I was impressed by his down-to-earth talk about day-to-day life and its challenges and obstacles and his explanation of discerning God's Will in our life to help us through seeming insurmountable problems. It made perfect sense and, again, presented in basic logical thought and language. With minds cluttered with life's difficult situations it's hard to think clearly and come to an understanding of God's Will for our happiness, for ...more
Clare Cannon

This author is very direct about encouraging the reader to surrender everything to God. He combines enthusiasm, realism and deep spirituality. His highly personal and direct style may particularly appeal to young men, and his themes are taken from contemporary experience and are easy to relate to. It is aimed at the average young reader who has seen (if not experienced) the lack of reverence for life and love that is common today, though some of his directness about dealing with contemporary is
Lisa
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure this was the right book for me at this current time. I loved "Be a Man", but this one seemed disjointed and in need of a good editor. There seemed to be some unnecessary repetition, and the chapters lacked definition within themselves and continuity withe ach other. It feel like, "Here's a story. Now I want to tell you a thing. Here's another thing. Here's something that I remember that goes with the thing. And now I'm going to tell you the same thing for emphasis."

Don't get me wron
booklady
Father Larry writes like he talks—with lots of exclamation points! I can see and hear him as I read his book which is probably why I found myself laughing out loud during certain passages. If you’ve ever attended one of his missions you will appreciate this book which is a compilation of many of his best stories roughly tied together with narrative. It’s not the smoothest writing in the world—Father is no great author—but he is very human, down-to-earth and real. He’s fun and he’s humble; by tha ...more
Pat Murray
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Father Richards is back with a book for everyone looking for peace, and a sense of fulfillment in their life. What he does for men in his first book on spirituality, he now does for everyone who does not enjoy the way their lives are.
He tells you what will get you feeling better about the course your life is on. The simple steps you need to change your life from one of emptiness to one in which life is rewarding.
In a couple of hours you can set your life onto a path to happiness. A good investme
Melinda
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As any Christian, I struggle with my faith daily. This book was really a great reminder to Let Go & Let God. Fr. Richards is open, honest, & completely to the point. He breaks down the essence of true Christian faith and reveals what we need to be doing here on our borrowed spiritual journey. Empowering reminder that e, as Christians, are only human. Great read.
Skip Coale
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional book with practical guidance for enhanced spiritual life and relationship with God.
Denese
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just can not be read quickly. Small book, deep, long looks into my soul. Re- reading slower.
Carol
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, and amazing that you can hear his voice in your head as you read each page. At least for those who have heard him speak.
Shaunacey
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book to inspire and modivate you to giving your life over to God. Will have to pull it out next year and read it again.
Sandy
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that offers practical ways to implement the truths of Catholic teachings.
Anna
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for anyone looking for some help in their spiritual life.
Khadija Altaf
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it sgood
Amber
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While Richards has plenty of important insights in this particular book, his tone completely turns me off of his overarching message. Richards is snarky, derogatory, and takes a very self-righteous tone. This is the kind of 'spiritual inspiration' books that is a huge hit with members of the privileged class who want to hear that 'just doing more work' or scourging yourself with further routines is the end-all be all answer to a healthier relationship with God (not to say that it cannot be effec ...more
Resi Katherine
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went to one of Fr. Larry's talks during the weekend of Divine Mercy and was so moved by him that I decided to purchase this book. it really was a great book and I would recommend it. I took off a star because there were a lot of typographical/grammatical errors, which could potentially question his credibility particularly for other, especially skeptical, readers. I also didn't agree with him on a certain subject but I won't delve into that in this review because it is irrelevant to his overal ...more
Pam
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, catholic, 2014
I read this book after Fr. Larry visited my church for a parish mission. It's a good reminder of his life changing message, written in a highly practical way with a summary at the end of each chapter. It's not such an "easy" concept to surrender to God, but Fr. Larry gives us specific things to do every day that make a difference. He writes the way he speaks, with humor, passion, and a deep love of God.
Tim Speer
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will definitely challenge you to become a better Christian. In this book Father Larry Richards outlines, and explains in simple terms, how to completely surrender to God's will. It will definitely challenge you, for as humans, we all fall short. However, by putting to practice the principles of this book, you will grow spiritually, and become closer to Christ.
Candiceguillory
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! It's a tiny book that took me months to read because I would only read a few pages at a time hoping to soak it all up.
Erik
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
Good ole Fr. Larry. Straightforward and challenging, and often funny. Five chapters on surrendering yourself to God; one on discerning His will; last chapter on living His will.
Cacallahan
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life changing. I read this at the perfect time. This priest gets it. I like his style. Praise God.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
..this book guides the reader how one can surrender its life to God's will... I recommend this to everyone... Fr. Larry Richards is quite funny and straightforward....
Theresa Smith
Sep 14, 2016
Monica
Aug 19, 2017
Dan Jensen
Apr 16, 2016
Joe Riccomini
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Fr Larrys style. He pulls no punches and wastes no words. Reading him is the equivalent of getting smacked up side the head with a spiritual 2x4 in a good way. This book worth rereading every few years. Powerful stuff.

Maritza
Dec 04, 2014
  • Called to Life
  • The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine Answers to Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • The Reed of God
  • When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings
  • Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977
  • Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity
  • Hungry Souls: Supernatural Visits, Messages, and Warnings from Purgatory
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic: How Engaging 1% of Catholics Could Change the World
  • Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
  • Pulling Down Strongholds
  • Life Is Worth Living
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • Manual for Spiritual Warfare
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
A gifted and captivating speaker, preacher, retreat master and author, Father Larry Richards holds the answer to some of life’s most profound questions. He speaks from experience as a pastor of an inner city parish, a high school chaplain, a counselor and evangelist. Fr. Larry Richards has directed hundreds of Retreats, Parish Missions and Conferences for young and old alike. His inspirational tal ...more
More about Larry Richards...
“Remember, all sin is communal. All forgiveness is communal. So, if you’ve committed a mortal sin, such as missing Mass on Sunday, getting drunk on purpose, committing adultery, having an abortion, helping someone have an abortion, that hurts everybody, and you must be reconciled with God and reconciled with the Church.” 1 likes
“At the end of our lives, we will be judged by how we have loved or failed to love. That is the ultimate test: how we dealt with the least of our brothers and sisters, the people we can’t stand.” 1 likes