Start by marking “Managing” as Want to Read:
Managing

Managing

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Henry Mintzberg first became a star with his 1973 classic book, The Nature of Managerial Work, which overturned many standard views of what managers do and how they do it. Since then, Mintzberg has written many other important and bestselling books, such as The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning and Managers Not MBAs. In this new book Mintzberg provides the most comprehen ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Managing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing

Jan-Maat
Were shall I start,(view spoiler) ...more
Jeff Scott
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is similar to Management of the Absurd and takes the same premise. Managers don't have a formal learning process, but learn on the job, and that job is always localized. There are many approaches to management and each one works in the particular environment, but finding the right approach in the right place is always tricky and always dependent upon the local environment.

This is a great book for new managers or potential managers. It looks at t
André Gomes
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mintzberg goes beyond common sense about management, and his ideas came from studying different managers in different contexts.

Here are some of the Big Ideias I've found in the book:

1. What is Management?

Leadership and Managing are parts of the same thing are they shouldn’t be separate. Leaders cannot delegate their management accountabilities. Management is not a science and it is not a profession.

Mintzberg sets out the stark reality of what managers do: 'the pressures of the job drive the ma
Ashley
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books, mba
An interesting, if slightly contrarian view, of management. Mintzberg is a big advocate of using common sense and doesn't idealize management, like many business books tend to. Rather, as he often states throughout the book, it's just one damn thing after another.
Jomana Ismail
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and hands on. It is not theories but totally realistic exposure of what really managing is
Jessica
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not the fastest-paced book I've ever read, but it made me think about some things in new ways (empowerment vs. collaboration) and helped me refine some ideas I'd been trying to work through.
Richard Newton
I can't help but like this book. Mintzberg has original and helpful views on all sorts of aspects of management. He has an easy and engaging style of making sometimes quite profound points. But there is always a light hearted touch lurking below serious points. I have no doubt that this is an important book for anyone interested in management.

The main drawback is that this is written from the viewpoint of an academic studying management, rather than a practising manager. I have no problem with t
E
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scholarly report on managing

Managing, believes scholar Henry Mintzberg, is different from leading. To study which skills are essential to good management, Mintzberg spent an entire day one-on-one with 29 managers from different kinds of organizations and from different sectors – including banking, retail, filmmaking, government, nonprofits and healthcare. Mintzberg looked at managers who worked in the executive suites as well as on the front lines. He learned that although managers differ consi
Katrina Douglas
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on Mintzberg's observations during a day spent individually with 29 managers across a range of sectors this is incredibly value as the book is steeped in management practice which makes it all the more relevant and relatable.

Mintzberg dispels many management myths and outlines clearly what managing is through a comprehensive description of management roles and a very useful model for managing.

It was very valuable to read this book whilst encountering many of the scenarios it d
Craig
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Very original and loaded with intelligent insight. I had not previously read Mintzberg but am definitely now a fan of his. It gave me a fresh, empirically-based, view of what managing actually is. Mintzberg's goal in this book, it seems, was to strip back any pretenses and stylisations of what management is--and just portray it in its more raw form. And it is kind of reassuring and enlightening to see that it is pretty messy and varied! After studying a day in the life of ab ...more
Renato Willi
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelent for those who want to understand more about what do company managers do and the challenges of their jobs. Mintzberg separates analytically their activities, their way of acting (doing, linking, dealing, , the nature of their behavior (craft, science, art) and puts some very intelligent reflection for those who study management and for those who try to control management.
He also, as usual, questions the current MBA models for teaching management - something he disagrees that can be done.
Edilson
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry Mintzberg, autor deste livro, certamente é o mais polêmico, perspicaz, provocativo e irreverente entre os gurus da administração moderna.

A partir de observações feitas com 29 líderes das mais diversas indústrias, Mintzberg defende que Gestão e a Liderança não são ciências exatas e, desta forma, não há uma fórmula única de sucesso que possa ser aplicada incondicionalmente aos mais diversos tipos de gestores.

O último capítulo, Os inevitáveis enigmas da Gestão, trás considerações ousadas e va
David Glad
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had more of a Canadian perspective which helped make it distinct in a noisy marketplace for such books.

Overall, handling different situations (and customer needs) and the various organizations that exist suggest there is not, nor will there ever be, that one size fits all solution or the myth of some superstar manager who could manage anything. (Although some may be better at adapting. Plenty of organizations are willing to settle for an interim manager before finding someone who appea
Christophe Druet
Read this book when you've been managing for a few years. You'll understand that the complexity you are facing day after day is just a natural aspect of managing. Mintzberg proposes several pragmatic models to improve your way. Your way should never be too much of one thing (as it frequently happens) but a few of everything (it could seem obvious when you read it, it is not when practicing). Mintzberg also demystifies conundrums that impede managers to go forward. This book is just a must for ev ...more
Vince
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this as a Christmas present. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I have to confess that I enjoy Mintzberg. His latest book lived up to its promise.

Within the text I found validation for aspects of my practice, as well as useful models to guide reflection toward improving my craft. His discussions of the major contradictions that characterize management was particularly useful.

I'll need to revisit and contemplate parts of this book in an ongoing fashion. I definitely recommend Managing by
Andre
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book on managing that tackles it from many angles and many sources. What I especially liked about it was that it's an analysis that recognizes the complexity of the subject and does not pretend to offer a simple recipe to tackle it. It is academical and heavier reading than some other books but worth the time and efforts to read it.
Denis Korsunov
Nice report about the experiment by Mr. Mintzberg which has observed a bunch of managers from different industries and on different stages of management maturity. Overall conclusion is that managers at the same level of management at most have similar traits which is insignificantly depend from industry.
Sergei
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit wishy washy, contradictory, some times even pessimistic to the extent of adhoch nature of management. I guess, in a sense, these make up a great deal of managerial job, as it has been meticulously chewed in the book. Not a go-to sort of whatever-number-of-principles guide by any means. One take away, though - management is an art, not a science, always chaotic in its core.
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong start to this book, very refreshing perspective on managing, compared to most of the other books I've read and seen. Loved the first two chapters. The next three kinda lost me and I ended up skimming mostly. Chapter 6: Managing Effectively was very good. An important book on managing.
Angus MacCaull
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a picture of the solid practice behind all the business hype. One of the more interesting ideas for me is that we're now over-led and under-managed.
Alexandre
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite theoretical, but very profound. You can easily skip some parts as Mintzerg has highlighted the main actionable items for managers more interested in practical insights.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Managing by Henry Mintzberg was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2010.
Vincent Darlage
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
One of the best books on managing and leadership ever written.
Jess
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another requirement for grad school, but this one actually had some good takeaways, and although parts were long and a bit tedious, overall, I found this useful.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Mintzberg writes: Instead of distinguishing managers from leaders, we should be seeing managers as leaders, and leadership as management practiced well.
Lori Grant
A must-read book on middle management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Hugo Cayuela
Oct 04, 2011
Bruce
Nov 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Leader′s Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • The Future of Management
  • Freedom From Command And Control: A Better Way To Make The Work Work
  • Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices
  • Beyond Budgeting: How Managers Can Break Free from the Annual Performance Trap
  • #Workout: Games, Tools & Practices to Engage People, Improve Work, and Delight Clients (Management 3.0)
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • Who am I?: 16 Basic Desires that Motivate Our Actions Define Our Personalities
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Executive Presence: The Art of Commanding Respect Like a CEO
  • The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong
  • Profit from the Core: A Return to Growth in Turbulent Times
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • The Connected Company
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
Professor Henry Mintzberg, OC , OQ , Ph.D. , D.h.c. , FRSC (born September 2, 1939) is an internationally renowned academic and author on business and management. He is currently the Cleghorn Professor of Management Studies at the Desautels Faculty of Management of McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where he has been teaching since 1968, after earning his Master's degree in Management ...more
More about Henry Mintzberg...

“leadership is a sacred trust earned from the respect of those” 1 likes
“being a manager’ means not merely assuming a position of authority but also becoming more dependent on others,” 1 likes