Start by marking “Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World” as Want to Read:
Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World

Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  3,834 Ratings  ·  471 Reviews
Michael Hyatt, one of the top business bloggers in the world, provides down-to-earth guidance for building and expanding a powerful platform.

To be successful in the market today, you must possess two strategic assets: a compelling "product" and a meaningful "platform." In this step-by-step guide, Michael Hyatt, former CEO and current Chairman of Thomas Nelson Publishers, t
Published May 1st 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Chris Giovagnoni
Platform begins by delivering the opposite of a Wow! experience. The first third of the book is more or less common knowledge, if you have some degree of familiarity with leadership and social media. But its knowledge that is not easily executed and knowledge Michael Hyatt has earned through trial and error on his path to success.

After an excessive number of endorsements (nearly 30) from a who's who in social media, publishing and Christian leadership, Platform begins by repackaging the same ol
Matthew Bennett
Video comment here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmrtZY...

Amongst all the hype of a vanguard internet mega-book launch by Michael Hyatt (124,000 Twitter followers; 400,000 blog readers/month), the chairman of Thomas Nelson publishing (the 6th largest US book publisher, Nº1 Christian publisher) on the subject of `how an author might use the internet to broadcast his message', it's clearly difficult to separate the book (Platform) from the man (massive levels of experience) and the marketing cam
Gisela Hausmann
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Hyatt's book "Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World" stresses the well-known credos -

"... Create products you would personally use - Create products that solve problems in unexpected ways - Create products that exceed your customers’ expectations..."
"... What is the product or experience I want to create or transform into a wow? The customer’s lobby experience. 2. How will the customer feel as a result of this experience? (In other words, what is the specific outcome we want to create?)
Elizabeth
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to build a speaking, writing or social media platform.
Building a platform is essential. As a writer, I've heard that a million times. Maybe more. The exhortation usually comes with a few specifics: blog, engage on Facebook and Twitter. Until now I've been following that advice blindly, doing what is required to participate in a changing industry.

But, now I have a secret weapon--A platform-building coach in the form of Michael Hyatt's book, Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World.

Platform took me beyond the bullet points and provided a blueprint for
J.F. Penn
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneur
I've been reading Michael Hyatt's blog for a number of years, so I thought that I wouldn't get too much from the book. But it is definitely a fantastic read, whether you are a newbie online or someone who is more experienced. I have read many branding and marketing books and experimented with my own platform online but I wrote 10 pages of notes from this book and have a long To Do list of things I need to improve. This will help you audit where you are right now and target where you want to get ...more
Thomas Umstattd Jr.
Great overview of marketing and platform building. This book is scannable and a great resource as either a reference or a straight read. The book is very blog and Twitter centric and even Hyatt admits he doesn't quiet get Facebook.

Many social media books are full of lots of fluffy stories and little in real take away. This book is different, it goes light on the fluff and high on the take away tips.

Platform gets 4 stars only because Facebook is too big to ignore and because this book ignores F
Ryan Manganiello
In my opinion there were just way too many chapters based on Twitter, a service I don't personally use, so I guess I'm being a little biased towards all that much paper being dedicated to it.

The author admitted his distaste for Facebook, but obviously new very little about it. His rant which was mostly negative pertaining to Facebook was extremely outdated, considering the fact that this book was just released not too long ago. Referring to Facebook Pages as what were once called Fan Pages in hi
Chris Johnson
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good primer on being "old school," and launching a product or service in today's world.

It's not flashy, it's not "whiz bang," but instead it's methodical, plodding and doable. I have successfully done - then abandoned - so many of these techniques that I looked to get motivated to rebuild that platform.

So there.
Honoree
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: success-reads
I read this book at the suggestion of Hal Elrod, author of best-selling book The Miracle Morning. It did not disappoint: a nice mix of practical advice and story, it lays out the how-to for creating a platform for one's books and brand. Well done.
Douglas Wilson
I really enjoyed this, and found a lot of areas for practical application. There were some typical business rah-rah sections, but in the main this was very worthwhile.
Andy Littleton
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking to build an online audience, you'll find this book very helpful.
Josh Steimle
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, practical book on how to promote your business. I just relaunched my personal blog and am going to do an experiment and try all his suggestions to see what happens.
Joe Sewell
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Disclosure: I won this book in a blog contest, but in no way was I required to leave a good review.

As a big name in publishing, Michael Hyatt seems like the kind of person a writer wanting to be a published writer would want to hear. You get an "insider's view" of things. Platform does this to a degree, though I found myself washing from an encouraging "hey, I can do that" to a discouraged "I can't afford to do that!"

Hyatt encourages lists, so here, to the best of Goodreads' ability, is my bulle
Evelyn Puerto

Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World is the book I’ve been waiting for, the book I wish I read years ago.

As the second subtitle states, author Michael Hyatt lays out “a step-by-step guide for anyone with something to say or sell.” Clearly, concisely and in easy-to-understand prose, Hyatt gives instructions from product development, launch, and marketing.

I found the chapters on using social media especially helpful. Hyatt shares what worked for him and gives helpful guidelines. For example, the
James
So in this book Michael Hyatt mentions he's the author of four books including another book on the NYTimes bestseller list, only he doesn't mention what they are. I looked into his back catalog to see what they were. Two of them were alarmist warnings about the coming computer meltdown, Y2K (published in the late 90s). The other book (which Hyatt does mention) was a book about guarding your family's privacy in an internet age.

This book is different than that. It is a business book designed to h
Rachel Blom
I'm a big fan of Michael Hyatt and I bought this book as soon as it came out. I just hadn't gotten around to actually reading it. It's a practical book on building a platform and getting noticed, for instance as a writer, blogger, or public speaker. There is a ton of how to advice on many things, ranging from social media to building a blog audience and more. However, the book wasn't as good as I had expected and there were two major issues:
1. Michael Hyatt has the luxury of building a platform
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career, social-media
Platform is an in-depth step-by-step look at how to develop a social media presence. Michael Hyatt has taken many of his former blog posts on the subject of building a social media platform, cleaned them up, added to them and put them together into this great how-to guide. This results in the book being broken up into around 60 very short chapters. Each chapter is brief and to the point and the content is divided up into bulleted lists, numbered lists and specific action items. This means that y ...more
Joseph McBee
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is easy to read and incredibly practical. If you are trying to launch anything, whether it is a business, a non-profit, a ministry, or a creative project you will need a platform from which to launch it. This book should be your go-to resource for building that platform.

Here is how you can utilize this excellent resource:

1. Read it through, cover-to-cover.

2. Read it with a highlighter in your hand and mark passages and tips that are particularly relevant to you and what you are trying
Steve Sanderson
I'm a first time writer (just finished my novel), and I picked up the audiobook version.

There's good stuff in here, but the book's geared towards people who want to generate revenue, or create bigtime buzz from their blogs, from their online presence. Some of this applies to me, and the parts that were geared towards the business side of things I skipped.

The author has a distracting habit of making lists to keep things readable and easy to digest. I don't know how these play out on the page, but
Jay
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
Nice collection of tools and practices for using social media to spread your word. Many of these books feel dated in short order, but this seemed pretty current at the two year mark. If you haven't created a blog/Twitter/Facebook presence for commercial use, this is a great primer, and worth it to pick up for reference. I noticed this focuses strongly on the individual or the company owner, and not so much to the employee making his statement as a part of a company. Still, even for that kind of ...more
Andrea Judy
There's some good advice in here, but as the years go on more and more is becoming outdated.
A lot of the advice provided by Hyatt is either things that you've heard a thousand times, or theings that worked for him, but are not neccessarily repeatable. A few hundred dollars to a CEO is a bit different than a few hundred dollars for someone just starting out.
He goes over what's worked for him, and this book is deeply tied into his own story and journey in social media. There's some interesting t
Lucille Zimmerman
If you want to get noticed for anything, this is the book. I've been building a platform for the past six years in order to promote the book I wrote.

I've also been reading Michael's blog for years. Still, I'm learning so much.

He covers everything you would ever need to know from blogging to making video posts, to setting up specific web pages, speaker pages, etc.

Way too much to describe here. Just know the small amount you pay for this book is minimal compared to what you get in return. I cou
Ahmad Moshrif
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth or the sixh book that i read about building personal branding on the internet or using social media channels.

But the difference here is that Michael Hyatt is the one behind it, and that is why it's worth the 5 stars, he did a great job. indeed, this book is a must read for any blogger, business person who is trying to build his career/image using internet platforms.

well detailed book, with full of experience.
Peter Krol
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I enjoyed it, but I'm sure I already read almost all of it on his blog. I was hoping for a bit more coherence and a bit less "10 tips for" everything.

That said, there are some tremendously helpful things in here, and I'm sure I'll refer back to it often.

What I found most helpful was Hyatt's insight into the contemporary marketing scene. "I have good news. Marketing is dead." The whole idea of building a brand and winning a "tribe" is a helpful framework for getting an idea out there.
Jane
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, business
Given that I implemented several tips while I was reading, I have to give this five stars for its usefulness. I purchased it during its launch week when Hyatt also included the e-version. Having it on my iPad is handy--the links to the tools he's suggesting are live. If you're putting time into social media, I suggest you check this out to invest that time as wisely as possible.
Todd Coburn
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Need ideas for preparing or enhancing your platform? This book has tips and tricks to offer. It is an easy read and is organized such that the reader can navigate straight to the area desired. This also makes it a good reference to focus on various concepts at different times as you establish your approach to platform.
Derek Neighbors
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great practical advice. I must have added 25 things to my todo list while reading this, which means it was giving great nuggets that are implementable. If you run a company or want to get your own personal brand elevated Hyatt gives some great steps for promotion. Already has me thinking about my strategy for speaking and positioning for Gangplank and Integrum. Worth the read.
Tony Jr.
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book would more appropriately be titled: Platform: How to build a great BLOG that gets you noticed, as 90% of this book is dedicated to that topic. I was expecting this book to be a one-stop-shop for building a substantial platform as a whole not just a blog. For anyone looking to build, run, market and monetize a blog this would be awesome book to get you started.
Bill Tillman
Yes I have bought the kindle version of 'Platform'. The Audible version is okay, but there is nothing like having it in print to reread and review. After finishing reading "Platform" for a second there is still much to be gleaned from this book! It is literally a roadmap to navigate the world of Internet Presence. Its like that plastic card, don't leave home without it!
World, Writing, W...: Buddy read? 25 16 May 07, 2016 01:42AM
5 Question Survey for Authors 1 12 Dec 04, 2013 08:19AM
  • You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One)
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Wisdom Meets Passion: When Generations Collide and Collaborate
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype
  • Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Move Forward
  • Jab, Jab, Jab,  Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Engagement from Scratch
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • Make your Idea Matter
  • No Bullshit Social Media: The All-Business, No-Hype Guide to Social Media Marketing
  • EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling

“somewhere deep inside you realize that the dream has taken a hit. It hasn’t died, of course. But it has been dialed back—calibrated to the reality of deadlines, budgets, and limited resources. A similar process can happen for individuals who set out to create something, whether a book, a record album, or even a comedy routine. It’s easy to “settle.” At this very moment, you face a decision.” 2 likes
“Perfectionism is the mother of procrastination.” 2 likes