Start by marking “Bonnie Raitt: Still in the Nick of Time” as Want to Read:
Bonnie Raitt: Still in the Nick of Time

Bonnie Raitt: Still in the Nick of Time

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This is the in-depth biography of Bonnie Raitt, the Grammy-Award-winning musician whose career rocketed up in the 1970s, stalled in the 1980s, and resurged in the 1990s. Bego reveals how the Quaker daughter of Broadway musical star John Raitt and an accomplished pianist Marjorie became acquainted with the emerging folk and protest music that swept the country during her ad ...more
Published December 26th 2002 by Cooper Square Press (first published December 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bonnie Raitt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonnie Raitt

Stacie
I should have stopped reading after the first few pages when words describing the author started popping into my head - words like sycophant, obsequious, fawning, and fanatic. Because I like Bonnie Raitt and couldn't find any other biographies of her, I continued reading, all the while disliking the author.

I had two chapters remaining when the following sentence forced me to come to a dead stop: "It is shattering to hear her bury her unhealed hurt in the statement 'you did the best you could.'"
Em
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I know how boring my Queen essays would likely be to someone else. I picked up this book hoping it would tell me about the woman and in some brief, very sketchy passages it does, but most of the book goes over song by song of her work. Not that I don’t like her work, I obviously do or I wouldn’t have four of her recordings , it’s just that this writer was so fawning in his writing that I think he underestimated the real spark of Bonnie Raitt. Or maybe it’s just that a man can’t get to the he ...more
Jill
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is mediocre, but there aren't any other published biographies out there on Bonnie Raitt, except for the sequel to this one but the same author. The writing is at a sixth grade level and some of the paragraphs are repeated word for word at the end of the book - fill space much? It wasn't really that in depth either. Bonnie did not contribute to the book. He just wrote a book about her life from what he knew. I personally think that it's not very professional to do that so that disappoin ...more
Rita
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book. Mr. Bego has written a book about Raitt that is jam-packed full of information. It reads much like a text book and less like a biography. I think part the problem stems from the fact that Mr. Bego did not have Raitt's authorization.
Jeff
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good biography of a legendary American blues-based musician, but many times I felt Bego was hemmed-in by a desire to be more of a cheerleader than a biographer. Still, a great read for a fan of Bonnie's.
Lindsey
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In terms of the quality of writing, I would compare reading this book to reading a Wikipedia entry about Bonnie Raitt. But since the subject matter was so near and dear to my heart, I still enjoyed it. And I picked up a great deal of information about Bonnie and some songs I may want to download.
Melissa
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I'm giving this two stars is because it is about Bonnie Raitt, who is a four star person. The author should be embarrassed to have published this drivel. I could have written this book and done a better job!
Tommye
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A biography done with good research and good taste
Wendy
Jan 24, 2013
April Amelung
Aug 31, 2010
Sandra
rated it did not like it
May 03, 2015