Start by marking “Mrs. Pargeter's Package” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pargeter's Package

Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs Pargeter #3)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  410 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Although a trip to Corfu is not Mrs Pargeter's usual idea of a holiday, keeping a recently widowed friend company overrules her misgivings. But when that friend starts behaving strangely and is then found having apparently committed suicide, Mrs Pargeter resolves to get to the bottom of the mystery.
Published December 12th 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pargeter's Package, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pargeter's Package

Ellen
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs Pargeter is such a great character. Pushy and determined and not allowing the sinister policeman to intimidate her, she ignores his threats against her and starts her own murder investigation. One of her father's criminal cronies happens to live in the very village where she is visiting and he provides great assistance. Each book adds more of her late husband's pals who are dedicated to helping her whenever she asks. They held her late "criminal" husband in such high regard that when he aske ...more
Richard
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-15, mystery
This series has really grown on me. I can't claim that they're great mysteries or insightful novels, but they are a lot of fun and I greatly enjoy spending a few hours in Mrs Pargeter's company.

(Brett does a great job reading his novels on audiobook, so if you're into those I especially recommend this series.)
Clare
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Simon Brett novels. This was entertaining, well-written and a decent mystery to boot. I enjoyed the descriptions of Greece as well.
Lucy Takeda
I would actually rate this 3.5. It's a rather cozy amble through crime, with a widow in her 60's whose husband had interesting business associates. A friend asks Mrs. P. to join her on a package tour of Corfu. The friend ends up dead. The police officer in charge insists it was a suicide. However, Mrs.P. is certain her luggage was searched, and there is a mysterious bottle the friend had her carry. A fairly enjoyable light read.
cg
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of English mysteries..
I enjoy the books I have read by Simon Brett. A little Miss Marple type with a little humor. I am sure I will continue to look for other titles from this author.
Rachelle Ayala
I listened to the audiobook, but it was hard to follow the mystery, so while it was interesting with local color and Mrs. Pargeter's friend HRH, I didn't really even know what was in the package!
Imjussayin
Mrs Pargeter's Package: Mrs Pargeter Series Book 3

Mrs Melitta Pargeter is the widow of the late Mr Pargeter, who left her well off. Mrs P is not upper class, but she is respectable. Mrs P also inherited his little black book [LBB]. Mr Pargeter kept his business below the radar. Whenever Mrs Pargeter has an inquiry, she uses the LBB to contact the best criminals people with the relevant expertise for help.

The Plot: Mrs Pargeter and her friend Joyce, who has been recently widowed, take a package
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
A better read than the first two Pargeter novels. The characters are more credible, and I've lowered my expectations of Brett as a novelist and taken it for what it is--a mild divertissement. Many of the characters in this installment are so two-dimensional they don't even have names (such as the Blonde Secretaries); Mr Brett enjoys dealing with The British Stereotype. The plot is a bit better woven, though the reader of course is streets ahead of Mrs P. this time.

Mrs P's Cofu holiday starts out
Kate
"From the beginning of their package tour to Corfu, Mrs. Pargeter could see her recently widowed friend was having a frightful time. And the vacation got worse. Poor, overwrought, bewildered Joyce Dover bled to death in her whitewashed room in the Villa Elini.

"But the good Mrs. P. had pull. With the help of some mildly unsavory associates she traced Joyce Dover's former husband from South America to England and back to Corfu -- and to a secret hidden within a family called Karaskakis. Between th
Rachel
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I wanted to put in an excerpt, to illustrate what I love about Mrs. P and this series. Mrs. P, for reason's I won't disclose, needs to get to Greece outside of official channels (something her upright personality would usually cringe from), so she visits H.R.H., the exclusive and pricey travel agent to the underworld. As she's walking through the well-appointed offices filled with well dressed, beautiful assistants, she overhears the following. (I imagined this in well-bred English accents, and ...more
Kimberly Ann
This book was entertaining and a light read. There wasn't as much humor to it as 'Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honor", but there was a good mystery in it.

Mrs Pargeter goes to Corfu with her long time acquaintance, Joyce. Joyce has given Mrs Pargeter a package to carry for her....Upon arriving at their destination Joyce looks as if she has seen a ghost......and the next morning Joyce is found dead (in their shared villa) an apparent suicide.

Mrs. Pargeter with the help of her deceased husband's busine
Alan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is my second reading of the Mrs Pargeter series (the first time being a good 15 years ago at least).
this book is better than the first couple in the series with a more interesting plot and more characters appearing from the late Mr P's business career.

so far though none of the books seem as entertaining on a repeat visit. the same feeling has accompanied recent re-readings of the other series character from this time, Charles Paris.
Amy Bradley
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting mystery, although creepy, as it hits on the fears of corruption in foreign holiday destinations, and cover-ups when tourists die.

Also interesting as while it could be set in any modern year, subtle details such as the local attitudes toward Albania very much set the time period.
Jenny
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Pargeter must have been the pre-cursor to Carole and Jude. I love how tongue-in-cheek the author is about all of these women. Mrs. Pargeter has a lot of help in this story solving the mystery, but she's aided by two very stand-up criminals. The ending was a bit predictable, but this was a very enjoyable summer read.
Gerry
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Corfu, where the local atmosphere is admirably captured, Mrs Pargeter takes a holiday with a friend. But when misfortune strikes, Mrs P has to put her sleuthing to good effect to make sure that a satisfactory solution is arrived at.
NVTony
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, action, fiction
Brett has created a most enlivened series with a cast of exceptional characters. Just when you think you solved current mystery it takes a new turn. Thus far my favorite in series which I recommend to anyone with a like of mysteries.
Carrie
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple mystery, entertaining to listen to during commute. Main character is spunky.
Delores Alger
Good -
Daniel
A nice cozy; looking forward to reading more Simon Brett.
Rebecca
These books are great "lite" reading, not very complex, but fun and easy.
Rachel
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice British lighthearted mysteries, but Mrs. Pargeter's philosophical and moral views are beginning to grate a bit.
Heidi
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick easy read. You can barely call it a mystery just because it is so simplistic. But fine enough if you want some thing you can easily breeze through.
Amy
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I do enjoy these light 'cozy mysteries'. Just a simple story with quirky characters.
Teddy
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun.
Teddi
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one better than the last. Nice little twist at the end.
Barb Deshler
Fun quirky whodunit.
Curtiss
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This light mystery features a protagonist with a variety of 'contacts' from her dead husband's shady past; unfortunately its "deus ex machina" resolution mars its ending for me.
Kim
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Read this years ago. Vaguely recall the plot. Loved the heroine and her unique network of associates. Stopped reading the series because I had read all volumes available at the time.
Bettie☯
Lizzy
Fun little trip to Greece with Mrs. P. Lots of twists and turns. Nice summer reading.
  • Dying Room Only (Pennyfoot Hotel #11)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Reveals Her Art (Mrs. Jeffries, #12)
  • The Lamplighter
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • A Nun in the Closet
  • Harold at the North Pole
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • It Walks by Night (Henri Bencolin, #1)
  • The River of No Return (Jaguar Stones, #3)
  • The Flying Dragon Room
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Death of Lucy Kyte (Josephine Tey, #5)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Mrs Pargeter (8 books)
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • Mrs, Presumed Dead (Mrs Pargeter, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • Mrs Pargeter's Principle (Mrs Pargeter, #7)
  • Mrs Pargeter's Public Relations

“The only situation which might justify panic is one in which panic is likely to help. Such a situation never arises. Though pretended panic may sometimes cause a useful diversion, real panic can never be anything other than a waste of energy.” 9 likes