Start by marking “Lessons from a Sheep Dog” as Want to Read:
Lessons from a Sheep Dog

Lessons from a Sheep Dog

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  469 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
What you see is not always what you get - and this true story of a man and his dog is no exception. Woven just under the surface of this simple parable, Keller presents profound spiritual truth. It is the story of Lass, a worthless animal thought to be untrainable, who becomes a magnificent and valuable sheepdog - not terribly unlike how God's love can transform our worst ...more
Published September 9th 2002 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published November 30th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Lessons from a Sheep Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons from a Sheep Dog

Madelle
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully written short book by Phillip Keller compares his relationship with his rescue sheepdog to our relationship with Jesus Christ. He pulls many parallels together in a simple, easy to read style. He talks about his relationship with the Savior which was quite fractured for sometime and how he was able to restore and renew that as he worked to train his beloved dog.
Donna Hunt
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Such a great story and great lessons about Christ learnt by a man's faithful dog.
Carol
I had hoped that this might prove a great devotional book for my sheep-keeping grandkids. It tells the story of Lass, an abused sheepdog adopted by the author. Lass's rehabilitation requires unchaining her and waiting for her to approach her new master. It's a "nice" book, but was too facile for me.
momma.hailey
Totally disappointed. As a believer I really wanted to love this book, like I did the children's version that I read first. I struggled between a 1 star and 2 star rating. For me the theology is bad. The author admits struggle on deep theology issues but ultimately makes his decisions based on the interaction with the dog instead of God's word. Overall a bit too fluffy and emotional. That being said the lessons from the sheep dog were good, which is why I love the children's version.

Read this w
Karen
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom
This book was recommended by the NGJ magazine. It sounds good, can't wait to get a copy and read for myself.

This is on my list to read with Hailey but I just got my copy in the mail today and can't wait :).. 4/24/15

I have misplaced The Scarlet Letter so I read this instead. 5/1/15
Therese
The fact that it had a dog on the cover is what initially drew my attention but it is the most beautiful analogy of why God wins our trust, teaches us and ultimately brings us into a relationship with Himself to the point where we become co workers with Him in His mission.
Christian
Very easy and lots of fun to see how Mr. Keller draws on examples from the life of his dog to give a better idea of our relationship with the Lord.
Janet
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slightly repetitive near the end but some great stories.
Nonie
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming little book about what one man learned about how to relate to Jesus Christ though his newly acquired helper, his sheep dog Lass.
Matthew Webb
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting lessons from a gifted story teller

Keller presents the reader with another vivid picture of Christian development and growth in nature. An enjoyable inspirational read great for devotional reading
Cristina Torrão
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A versão original inglesa tem o título Lessons from a Sheep Dog
Cheguei a este pequeno livro por acaso. Foi-me oferecido pelo meu marido, por sua vez, atraído pelo título e pela capa. Sobre o autor, Phillip Keller, não encontrei muito na internet, a não ser que nasceu no Quénia, em 1920, filho de missionários (brancos), e que escreveu vários pequenos livros sobre a religião cristã, nomeadamente, sobre como encontrar Deus na Natureza, tendo, por base, a sua profissão de pastor. Também foi fotógraf
NebraskaIcebergs
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One of my favorite devotionals from my youth is Lessons from a Sheepdog by Phillip Keller. One reason is the unique angle of featuring an animal, instead of random stories about people, to illustrate Christian truths. Another reason is that Keller was well-qualified to write about sheep dogs, himself once being an operator of a sheep ranch. As I read Keller’s inspirational book of parables this week in one sitting, a third reason came to mind, that of the simplicity and brevity of the devotional ...more
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Looking back across those precious years at Fairwinds, I was learning from Lass what it was that Christ, my Great Shepherd, wanted to do with me in His fields as His coworker.” This quotation epitomizes Phillip Keller’s “Lessons From a Sheepdog: A True Story of Tranforming Love.” This short but succinct work of nonfiction—complete with several black-and-white illustrations—chronicles the story of Lass, an abused border collie that the author rescued, and the ensuing friendship that grew between ...more
Bonnie
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great little book for inspirational reading. Keller is a good writer both in his use and choice of words and his insight. Though the book is short and can easily be read in one sitting, I think it is better read a chapter at a time as a devotional book, giving time to ponder his insights and questions. He does a lot of repeating, which serves to emphasize his points, but taken at one time it doesn't give strength to the writing that it could if read over a number of days instead of in ...more
Ann
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A follow-up from Kellers' "A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23", this book takes the spiritual & practical lessons he learned from his devoted Border collie sheep dogs. A good sheep dog does the work of multiple sheep-hands, thus they are invaluable to a shepherd. Kellers' explanations of love, training, discipline and more love necessitated in developing a sheep dog are metaphors of God's work in our lives. Excellent. (Since I'm on my 5th Border collie, I doubly loved these books. They are a great ...more
Poiema
From the author who is best known for his book A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, this is a beautiful picture book about a dog who needs remediation because of previous abuse. The new master exercises patience and discipline to bring the dog round to trust and usefulness in tending sheep. The lessons are readily applicable; a child around 5th or 6th grade can appreciate the underlying principles. We used this book as a bedtime devotional, spreading it out a little at a time. I like that the spiritual ...more
Alicia Ruggieri
Really excellent, soul-refreshing read from Phillip Keller. Reading this book has caused me to want to read others by him as well. In short but not at all abrupt chapter, Keller relates the true-life story of the redemption of Lass, a sheep dog Keller rescued for use on his ranch. The parallels to the Christian walk of faith and obedience are striking - I was moved to tears during some parts that really spoke to me. For my full review, see: http://abrighterdestiny.blogspot.com/...

This would also
Stinger
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Simple but powerful in it's explanation of our relationship to God, this book is a great read. I loved the intertwining of the story of the author's relationship with Lass and the lessons he drew from that relationship to how we should relate to our Great Good Shepherd. Full of real life illustrations and practical applications, this short read was eagerly listened to by my wife and kiddos at the dinner table. I enjoyed it thoroughly!
Michelle
Dec 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the back cover of this book, which included the word "spiritual." Knowing nothing about this author I picked it up because I love working border collies. What a horrible mistake that was! The entire book was NOT about Lass or her journey from scared city dog to happy working dog (in fact, there was little said about this). It was a bunch of Christian progaganda BS about not having free will. I regret spending the money on this horrible book.
Jennifer Priester
I really didn't like this book mainly because it seems to focus more on religion that it does the dog. The author's mentioning of his beliefs and other religion elements take up at least half, if not more, of the book and it is a short book to begin with. If you are religous this book would probably get a high review because the part about the dog is okay, but it doesn't feel as if the book is really focusing on the dog, at least to me.
Diane Morgan
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful, modern day parable. Keller tells the story of adopting an abused and neglected sheep dog to help him with the management of his ranch. As he tells us how the dog eventually came to trust him and find happiness is doing the work he was bred to accomplish, Keller draws rich parallels for each of us who have been abused by sin and are not living the life we were designed to live.

Like most parables, this little story is a joy on so many different levels. Highly recommended.
Max Bush
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know those books that stick in the back of your head for next two weeks..? You know, like the ones that change the way you see the world and your experiences. That was this book for me. Well written, brief and to the point, good narratives on the stories... I'd read it again in a heartbeat.
Oh and it's not a long read.
Michelle L.
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad I found this little nugget of truth. So simple, yet so much I never even thought of. Dogs teach us so much about what really matters, about the way we ought to be with others. The sheepdog in this story was almost a "throw-away" until a patient, kind shepherd took him in and saw his great value.
Mahmoud Adly
The book is not that 'spiritual', but more like a Christian lecture. The story of Lass is too short, and the rest of the book is about projecting each part of the story on the relation between God/christ and us. The messages are very direct like a science book. But I have to admit, it has some nice examples, but for a Christian. Why isn't this mentioned inthe description at the back?!
James
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent illustration of our relationship with Christ. I have rarely been more impressed with any Christian book other than the Bible. The factual information about sheepherding is a greatly appreciated side benefit. I'm confident that I will recommend this book many times in the future.
Thomas Nye
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! A very short enjoyable read. I was a little disappointed that the story line began to be repeated early on, but found the author's purpose was to drive the point home. Mostly, I was sad that it was so short because I loved it.
Jeri P.
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is the backdrop of a rags to riches story of a pup that was battered to becoming a servant of his master. A very poignant story of how we are to see our relationship with the Lord. Excellent allegory and word pictures given.
Amy
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son and I read and discussed this book as part of his Bible studies. Well done, engaging and Keller did a perfect job in relating the lessons to biblical purposes. Our only complaint was that there was a bit of repetition.
Linda
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read - simple yet thoughtful.
  • Angel Dogs: Divine Messengers of Love
  • The Inspirational Study Bible: Life Lessons from the Inspired Word of God -New King James Version
  • Coming Home
  • The Prayer of Jesus: Secrets of Real Intimacy with God
  • Mission of the Messiah: On the Gospel of Luke
  • By This Standard: The Authority of God's Law Today
  • Lifesigns: Intimacy, Fecundity, and Ecstasy in Christian Perspective
W. Phillip Keller (1920-1997) wrote more than thirty-five books on Christian subjects, including his most popular book A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 The son of missionary parents in Kenya, Keller grow up in Africa before becoming a world citizen as a photographer, agronomist, and author. His books have over two million copies in print.
More about W. Phillip Keller...