Start by marking “Leading So People Will Follow” as Want to Read:
Leading So People Will Follow

Leading So People Will Follow

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A unique take on leadership from a popular Forbes blogger and nationally-known leadership coach

"Leading So People Will Follow" explores the six leadership characteristics that inspire followers to fully support their leaders. Using Erika Andersen's proven framework, new leaders and veterans alike have increased their capacity for leading in a way that creates loyalty, comm
Published September 21st 2012 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Leading So People Will Follow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading So People Will Follow

Frank Doosey
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone like me who hasn't been in many leadership positions, I found it to be pretty insightful. I understand that I do possess some of the qualities of leadership mentioned, but am lacking in others. While there's no guarantees in life, I am planning to implement some of these strategies towards future goals. She references a few sources which also sound appealing and I've bookmarked them as to-read.

Overall, I'm impressed and may give 5 stars if I see the techniques bearing fruit for me.
Mark Muckerman
I found myself conflicted while reading it, and in considering a review. After reading it, I THEN looked at other Goodreads commentary, and found it consistent with my view: If you're new to a leadership role, and/or if you find yourself with the responsiblity for coaching or mentoring new people leaders, it's an okay primer in a very simple parable.

That being said, if you have any depth of succesful people leadership experience, you'll likely find it to be a collection of 185 pages of pedantry
Marcel
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eye-opening guide to becoming a truly effective leader. This book did a fantastic job of walking through the traits that we look for in our leaders, and exercises to build further develop these traits ourselves. I was able to identify a lot of areas that need a ton of improvement within my own leadership/communication style, and am looking forward to making real progress in each of them. Highly recommended.
Jim Serger
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells story of a tale, which in return Eric's Anderson creates the storyline. The tale to so many has been told/shared a million times about how a little non- effective person steps up to the crisis and is the hero. The author shared all the necessities needed to make that victory a success , all the attributes needed to accomplish a leader type roll. Good book sharing what is needed to create a leader.
Andrew
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Andersen identifies leaders as being Farsighted, Passionate, Courageous, Wise, Generous, and Trustworthy. Each of the traits are examined individually by the author through the use of an introductory story and numerous case studies. The author provides a set of questions per trait for self-reflection. Additional information is provided for the reader to develop and grow the seven leadership trips.
Steve Semler
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intro book to leadership, explaining leadership from a practical "How does this work?" standpoint. Not theoretical or academic, but uses a deceptively simple method of analysis and storytelling to replicate what a variety of competency modeling firms have built over the years.

Definitely recommended for the new leader, experienced leader, consultant, or academic trying to figure out how to convey complex subjects in a practical, approachable way.
Jeff
Andersen offers a solid leadership book that focuses (rightly I think) on the soft skills of leadership. It's a book that dovetails nicely with Drive by Daniel Pink, Work Happy by Jill Geisler, and The Progress Principle by Teresa Amabile.
Allisonperkel
Decent, quick read that does offer a quick overview of some of key tenants of being a manager. I knocked this down as the book isn't very deep and there was a decided feel of book as pr for her company (which, to be fair, sounds pretty great).
Charlie Miller
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good nuggets of wisdom on how to be a better leader - one whom others will want to follow. Very practical. Leaves the reader in a position to evaluate himself/herself and take some steps to leverage strengths and work on improving weaknesses.
Kathleen
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would have made a great essay. The book was pretty long for the content (but a super fast read). Reading the executive summary of this book would be worthwhile. And the added chapter on listening skills in the back was nice. Not horribly compelling.
  • From Age-ing to Sage-ing: A Revolutionary Approach to Growing Older
  • Tough Cookies: Leadership Lessons from 100 Years of the Girl Scouts
  • The Wisdom of Failure: How to Learn the Tough Leadership Lessons Without Paying the Price
  • Ascension Magick: Ritual, Myth & Healing for the New Aeon
  • Why Good Things Happen to Good People: The Exciting New Research that Proves the Link Between Doing Good and Living a Longer, Healthier, Happier Life
  • Transformation: Understanding the Three Levels of Masculine Consciousness
  • Lucid Dreamer: A Waking Guide for the Traveler Between Worlds
  • How Can I Get Through to You?: Closing the Intimacy Gap Between Men and Women
  • Awakening Spirits
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • The Book Of Tells
  • I Am Right You Are Wrong: From This to the New Renaissance: From Rock Logic to Water Logic
  • The Culture Engine: A Framework for Driving Results, Inspiring Your Employees, and Transforming Your Workplace
  • Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 63)
  • Swarmwise
  • Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World
  • The Power of Your Other Hand: A Course in Channeling the Inner Wisdom of the Right Brain
  • The World's Great Speeches
Since 1980, Erika Andersen has developed a reputation for creating learning and change processes and programs uniquely tailored to her clients’ challenges, goals, and culture. She and her colleagues at Proteus International offer practical methods and skills for individuals, teams, and companies to clarify and then achieve their hoped-for-future.

Much of her recent work has focused on organizationa
More about Erika Andersen...