Start by marking “The Crucified Life: How to Live Out a Deeper Christian Experience” as Want to Read:
The Crucified Life: How to Live Out a Deeper Christian Experience

The Crucified Life: How to Live Out a Deeper Christian Experience

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  431 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which now I live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." The apostle Paul declared in his letter to the Galatians that he had been "crucified with Christ." But what does this mean? Is this a claim every believer can and shou ...more
Published September 9th 2011 by Regal Books

To ask other readers questions about The Crucified Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crucified Life

Joshua Mckeown
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE THIS BOOK. It's great and really speaks to us in how we are to live a life that is crucified with Christ. I want to make sure I'm a "hundred folder"
Krista
Wow I didn't realize how long it took me to read this. It is a wonderful book with a lot of deep things to think about. Tozer even addresses that devotional type books should not be rushed through.

This book came at the right time in my life. It challenged me, spoke truth into my life, and made me examine myself.
Josue Manriquez
Tozer has a lot of excellent things to say in this book. One of the strongest points of this book is Tozer's passion for God's glory being God's glory (as opposed to 99% belonging to Him, and 1% belonging to self). It is very easy to desire a little bit of that glory, but this is no good!

His comments on living a life completely surrendered to God, no matter what the cost, are very convicting. I was also very much challenged by his prayer that God would orchestrate the events in his life that wo
Rose on aish
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This book was for me like a bomb...It's one of the best books. Francis Bacon said: "Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention." This is one of those books. This book will bring end to self and exalt Christ in the life of the reader. The book is based on Galatians 2:20. I decided to read this boo ...more
Blake
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because both the topic and the author piqued by interest. Some of my favorite books have been written by Tozer so I began this book hoping that it would be of similar content. I landed on a 3 star rating because I have concerns about Tozer's embracing of mystics and the corresponding mysticism. It's not like everything in the content of the book was bad or wrong, it just fell flat, in my opinion. Various chapters were an encouragement and a challenge to my heart. Others, th ...more
Tristan
Tozer has a tendency to write in a way that speaks in high-level ideas, rather than specific practices and practical thoughts. "The Crucified Life" is no different. Just as I would start to drift while reading the book, Tozer would start upon some idea that I hadn't considered in the same way he presented it, and I would gain my interest in the book back again.

The book is good, but is rather abstract. One of the best gems I got from it was from meditation upon the introduction I believe, when h
Abraham
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cristian
Definitivamente uno de los mejores libros que he leído sobre la entrega total de un cristiano. Existen pocos libros que sean relativamente contemporáneos sobre este tema.

La vida crucificada... una vida a la cual Dios nos ha llamado, pero que como cristianos nos resistimos a llevar. Una vida muy bien descrita por el autor, tocando todos los temas relacionados: que es, cual es el costo, cuales son los peligros, las consecuencias y las recompensas.

Hay un buen capítulo para leer a los cristianos "mí
Glen
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tozer wrote with such spiritual intensity and I am constantly amazed at how prescient his writing still is a half-century later. This book is strong on the appeal to distance ourselves from the world. He pulls from hymns, ancient mystics ("evangelical mystics" he calls them) and his usual treatment of biblical texts.

What is most helpful in this work is how he joins a direct appeal for spiritual hunger with practical advice to those desiring a deeper walk with Christ. A good example of this is th
C.G.
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking. I never underline books... this book has a lot of underlines in it. I'm quite sure this book falls into the category of those books you will read (and need to read) more than once in a lifetime.

Tozer pulls no punches in his indictment of the Christian Church in America. More stunning still? His view comes from 50+ years ago, proving once again that there is nothing new under the sun. We are apathetic and lukewarm, but God invites us to join Him, walking the Crucified Life wit
Tracy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will challenge you to put Christ first in everything you do. It is an in depth analysis of how to live an all-out Christian life! This book was a good follow-up to Not a Fan by Kylie Idleman for me. It challenged me to go deeper in my journey of surrendering to Jesus. My only complaint would be that Tozer seems to have a real bias against "fun," and I believe that having fun can still have a place in the Christian's life, even though it shouldn't be our ultimate goal. Overall, a worthw ...more
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I struggle to find words to review this book. God speaks through Tozer and cuts straight to my heart with conviction, truth, love, grace, wisdom. I put him in the category with the spiritual guides he treasured and describes in this book. "Only a trustworthy guide can help us along the way and enable us with great victory to live the crucified life." This may be one of the best and most impactful books I have read. His words about true religion vs American church culture cut right to the core an ...more
George Hunger
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Tozer. My wife has long been a fan, encouraging me to read his books for many years now. With that said, I don't know why I waited so long to read him!

The Crucified Life encourages every Christian to go deeper with Christ, to live entirely surrendered to Him, and to live completely for His glory. This book is a rare gem in light of the majority of Christian books available today, which resemble self-help books more than they should. This book will challenge
Carolyn
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had the audio version of this book and it was very difficult to listen to. The audio of A. W. Tozer himself was of poor quality. The format the book was written made it hard to follow. The narrator was monotone and therefore made the material tedious to keep up with. I found myself constantly turning it off to listen to something else because I got bored or sleepy. I think it best to purchase the book and not the audio, because quite truly, I haven't a clue if the Crucified Life is attainable.
Jason
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent work on the deeper christian life.
One warning I would give, is that a believer should be steeped in the teachings of grace before reading this book. It would be quite easy for someone to turn this teaching into merit based Christian living instead of a guide to seeking more intimacy with God.
Tozer is also a bit anti-intellectual, which has no basis in Scripture; rather a Christian ought to lean on God, but use his mind.
Royal Farris
I like reading Tozer. This is a compilation of his writings that had not been published before.

Tozer's def for a crucified life "is a life wholly given over to The Lord in absolute humility and obedience: a sacrifice pleasing to The Lord. Gal 2:20. Pg 15.

Tozer's books are best read slow again.

Erin
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book as amazing! A.W. Tozer has taken the subject of living a Christian life, and gone one step further into living a crucified life! His writing is eye opening, honest, and not very difficult to understand. No matter where you are on your Christian journey, I would recommend for you to read this book!
Ruth
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been some time since I've read any Tozer, and I'm happy to have stumbled across this one. Although much of what Tozer says in this volume critiques a time and a church culture different from our own, there are still gems to be gleaned. I always appreciate Tozer's passion and sincerity, even when I don't always agree with his doctrine.
Norm Konzelman
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many many books, but sadly my experience with Christian heroes, Christian leaders, Christian writings is not deep.
It is a great blessing to have come across the works of A. W. Tozer.
It is a book I might say not, does it deserve you, but do you deserve it?
If you seek to walk with God at all in your heart read this book, and another by him, "Voice of a Prophet".
Karla Marsh
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All wanting a deep walk with God
I really enjoyed this book and the insight that God had given Tozer. However I only rated it 4 stars because I felt he was to critical of the modern church and God's ability to move in the midst of it; its music and its methods. God indeed has not changed and wants us to walk in the crucified life, but He is able to accomplish His purposes even in the modern church.
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is SO challenging, deep, excellent, and convicting. My copy is chock full of underlining and dog-eared pages. If you are looking to deepen your walk with Christ (and truly have a heart for the Lord, a hunger and thirst) then you must read this book. Even if your spiritual hunger is there but weak, this book will help it grow!
Barrie Bliss
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aiden W. Tozer really show you what it means to live a crucfied life. He strips away all pretense and doesn't beat around the bush. It opens your eyes to the reality of the crucfied life- it's struggles, its victories. Would recommend this book to any real follower of Christ.
Allyssa
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I feel that I would have learned a lot from reading this book; however, I'm simply too ADD to get through it. What I did read had a lot of good information, but it was very dry and I found myself having to re-red a page multiple times before it sunk in.
Vaughn
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Highly Recommended. There just aren't many authors of this sort today - and by that I mean authors that will deliver the hard message of sin, hope, and the cost of discipleship at the feet of Christ. It's a message that is sorely needed today.

Marcia
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slowly read because so much to meditate on. Tozer brings his perspective to how to deepen the relationship with God and defines what is meant by the crucified life. It will challenge your own Christian interpretation of being "crucified with Christ".
Gisèle Uwobahorana
Such a good and challenging book. Going over the book for the second time now!!
Matthew
Plenty of good and lofty thinking in this book, but it's short on practical application.
Joshua Foote
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Struggle

great book on the holiness and struggle of Tozer for holiness of his converts and for himself an amazing partial biography of this amazing Christian
Tiffany Domena
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book restores the pure conviction of Christ followers to be like him. Walk the walk! Great book!
Michelle
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. It made me stop and think a lot. Certainly not a book for a quick read. I took time to process his points. A must read for any Christian.
Emily
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I wish that found Tozer more inspiring, but I don't. I found this in his other book that I read also. He rails against people who say he is too extreme, but it's his severity that is off-putting.
  • Teach Me to Pray
  • Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation
  • When Will My Life Not Suck?: Authentic Hope for the Disillusioned
  • C. H. Spurgeon Autobiography: The Early Years, 1834-1859
  • The Kneeling Christian (Clarion classics)
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • Secret Power
  • The Spiritual Man
  • Pilgrim Theology: Core Doctrines for Christian Disciples
  • Spectacular Sins: And Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ
  • Church History: A Crash Course for the Curious
  • Untamable God: Encountering the One Who Is Bigger, Better, and More Dangerous Than You Could Possibly Imagine
  • George Müller of Bristol And His Witness to a Prayer-Hearing God
  • The Jesus Life: Eight Ways to Recover Authentic Christianity
  • Heaven Taken by Storm: Showing the Holy Violence a Christian is to Put Forth in the Pursuit After Glory (Puritan Writings)
  • A Passion for Souls: The Life of D.L. Moody
  • How Then Shall We Worship?: Biblical Principles to Guide Us Today
  • The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C. S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles
Aiden Wilson Tozer was an American evangelical pastor, speaker, writer, and editor. After coming to Christ at the age of seventeen, Tozer found his way into the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination where he served for over forty years. In 1950, he was appointed by the denomination's General Council to be the editor of "The Alliance Witness" (now "Alliance Life").

Born into poverty in we
More about A.W. Tozer...

“Those who seek the deeper Christian life and those who want the riches that are in Christ Jesus the Lord seek no place, no wealth, no things, only Christ.” 7 likes
“Nicolas Herman, who was commonly known as Brother Lawrence, was a simple dishwasher in the institution where he lived. He said he did those dishes for the glory of God. When he was through with his humble work, he would fall down flat on the floor and worship God. Whatever he was told to do, he did it for the glory of God. He testified, “I wouldn’t as much as pick up a straw from the floor, but I did it for the glory of God.” 7 likes