Start by marking “Rediscovering Holiness: Know the Fullness of Life with God” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rediscovering Holiness...

J.I. Packer

Rediscovering Holiness: Know the Fullness of Life with God

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"There was a time," writes renowned theologian J. I. Packer in this classic book on biblical holiness, "when all Christians laid great emphasis on God's call to holiness. But how different it is today! To listen to our sermons and to read the books we write, and then to watch the zany, worldly, quarrelsome way we behave, you would never imagine that once the highway of hol ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Regal Books (first published June 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rediscovering Holiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rediscovering Holiness

Kim
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. Packer really gets to the nitty gritty of matters, and he doesn't mince words. He presents the reality that holiness is not a passive things which we gain by osmosis. We must participate in our sanctification, beginning with truly understanding what salvation is; what it cost and what it ought to generate in our hearts.

Packer is eloquent, profound, and witty. He has years of experience behind him, yet he still speaks as one on the journey.
Kelly
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book examines the need for Christians to live a holy life in view of a God who is the Holy One. My attention was less than adequate for this nonfiction book since I listened to it as an audiobook, and it merits a more thorough reread of the printed version. I particularly appreciated the concept of DEP (doctrine, experience, and practice) and the need for a balance between these to walk in holiness better.
Joe Huffman
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It is filled with great truths with the biblical back up. I picked this book up because it was on clearance and J.I. Packer is a trusted name, it has ended up being a life changer for me. Definitely more prayer is needed.
Chad
J. I. Packer presents a delightful overview of the nature of Christian holiness. With his well-known conversational style, precise language, and insightful textual and cultural analyses, Packer provides readers with a helpful framework for the doctrine of sanctification.
Nick Gibson
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Challenges the low bar of mortification of sin in the evangelical Christian life and strives to use historical role models to affix the target higher.
Eric
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overview
Dr. Packer’s Rediscovering Holiness is an excellent and comprehensive guide to understanding and experiencing holiness, as God designed. He starts the book off with defining and showing why holiness is important in the Christian life. He then talks about salvation and sanctification as they relate to holiness. In these chapters he not only talks about the general truth of holiness but how it applies practically in our lives today. The final chapter is focused on perseverance and sufferi
Jerry Simmons
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holiness is often equated with legalism in our minds. We think of it as strict rules, lists of what you can or cannot do, and guilt and condemnation for missing the mark. Holiness is actually about relationship with God and living in that relationship. Holiness is about grace, mercy and love, as well as purity. Understanding this brings great refreshment to the soul!

This is the first book that I have read from J.I. Packer, so I was not sure what to expect. From this book I would describe his wri
Rachel
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the format of this book. Very organized and full of Scripture passages to illustrate his points as Packer reminds us of the Christian's call to Holiness. "Be holy, as I am holy."
I found his sections on repentance and endurance through suffering particularly helpful and thought provoking.
Packer gives lots of helpful suggestions of questions to ask yourself or passages to meditate on regarding your own personal growth.
This is a book I will definitely plan on reading again.

Phillip
The first four chapters were tough to wade through, not because of the difficulty of the material but in the ability to keep my attention. At chapter five, the book really took off for me. On its own merit, the book is a worthwhile read; however, it pales in comparison to the author's book titled Knowing God. I read Rediscovering Holiness on the tails of reading Knowing God, and was disappointed. (Sorry Mr. Packer!) This is still a good book to invest in reading.
Ted Dettweiler
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am essentially finished this book and I must say it was one of the most important books that I have ever read because of the circumstances in my life that were concurrent with its reading. This shows the power of not just looking into the word and going on one's way but applying what one sees in the word. The wisdom in this book instructed my attitude when I was going through difficult circumstances. God sent me this word from J. I. Packer.
Ivan
Aside from a few ecumenical-leaning portions (e.g., holding up Teresa of Avila and Mother Teresa as paragons of Christian experience), this is an important work on sanctification for the modern evangelical church. I would also commend Packer's work on J.C. Ryle's "Holiness"; the first half of the book is Packer's intro on Ryle and the latter half is Ryle's classic written over a hundred years ago in his battle with the Keswick movement in England (the "let go and let God" approach to holiness).
Brad Ormonde
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

J.I. Packer really explains the fundamental truths of Christianity. Rediscovering Holiness is very detailed in how the Christian ought to view the realm of holiness. As the Christian matures, holiness becomes more acknowledged in that person's life & Packer does a great job of portraying how we can work towards our goal of being holy as Christ is holy.
Victoria
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-list-2016, 2016
SOOOOOO good and SOOOOOOOO helpful! Packer showed me what holiness is, how it is worked out in our lives as Christians, and what it is to pursue holiness day in and day out. His love of living, reading, and learning comes through as it always does making this book a delightful read as well.

Alicia
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing and thought-provoking book. Almost every page has a sentence that deserves underlining and further meditation. Recommend this to anybody interested in the topic of holiness from a Christian perspective.
Phillip Nash
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packer at his most powerful and erudite yet the simple honesty and integrity of the man shines through. A book to read and read and read gain so that you can apply all the pithy wisdom continued in it. You get a sense that this is man to writing about theory but out of a lived experience.
Indrajeet Pawar
A marvelous and soul searching read. Packer is a modern day Puritan. Not only does he freshly mine old truths but contextualises in a most helpful way.
Ken
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive and accessible treatment on holiness. You can hear J.I.'s not just writing theologically but from his own experience
J.J.
A modern classic. A lesser-known work of Packer's, but an important one. The bits on suffering are especially nourishing.
Ellen
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another 5-star J.I. Packer. So helpful. Fuller review later.
Marissa Burt
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and timely read. Packer's common-sense and clear teaching is very helpful in diving into such a subject. Really appreciated discovering this one. Recommended.
Mike Tsui
Carlos Moscoso
Aug 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian Live Seminar: Participant's Guide: Communicating Your Faith in a Style That Fits You
  • The Invisible Hand: Do All Things Really Work for Good (Paperback)
  • Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion?
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • Love in Hard Places
  • Holiness by Grace: Delighting in the Joy That Is Our Strength
  • The Gospel at Work: How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to Our Jobs
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • Don't Call it a Comeback: The Old Faith for a New Day
  • The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story
  • The Practice of Godliness
What do J. I. Packer, Billy Graham and Richard John Neuhaus have in common? Each was recently named by TIME magazine as among the 25 most influential evangelicals in America.

Dr. Packer, the Board of Governors’ Professor of Theology at Regent College, was hailed by TIME as “a doctrinal Solomon” among Protestants. “Mediating debates on everything from a particular Bible translation to the acceptabi
More about J.I. Packer...

“I must labor to keep my heart actively responsive to God.” 2 likes
“The shape this book has taken reflects my belief that there is need to blow the whistle on the sidelining of personal holiness that has been a general trend among Bible-centered Western Christians during my years of ministry. It is not a trend that one would have expected, since Scripture insists so strongly that Christians are called to holiness, that God is pleased with holiness but outraged by unholiness, and that without holiness none will see the Lord.” 1 likes