Start by marking “Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)

Celebromancy (Ree Reyes #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  680 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Fame has a magic all its own in the no-gossip-barred follow-up to Geekomancy. Ree Reyes gets her big screenwriting break, only to discover just how broken Hollywood actually is.

Things are looking up for urban fantasista Ree Reyes. She’s using her love of pop culture to fight monsters and protect her hometown as a Geekomancer, and now a real-live production company is shoot
Published July 15th 2013 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Celebromancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebromancy

Mary Robinette Kowal
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, narrated, fantasy
I narrated this for Audible.com, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is not always the case. Alas. Strong female protagonist and tons of geek cred. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Cyndy Aleo
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I... am a little bummed.

I've been looking forward to reading Celebromancy since the second I finished Underwood's first book in the series, Geekomancy. I dove in the second I downloaded it, and ended up reading it in two separate sittings (I had some books that got in the way in the middle).

Like the first book, Celebromancy is chock full of pop culture references, especially as they pertain to the geek world. It also introduces a new type of magic that surrounds celebrity culture, and several ne
Shelley
*Genre* Speculative Fiction
*Rating* 3-3.5

*Thoughts*

After reading Geekomancy last year, I knew I was going to jump at my chance to read Celebromancy its sequel. Celebromancy actually takes place 6 months after the end of Geekomancy. Our kickass heroine, Ree Reyes, is a Geekomancer, or, one who draws powers from Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror. She's a pretty powerful Geekomancer in that she understands how to use Genre emulation to her benefit. I personally love the fact that she has a light
Cyn Armistead
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Celebromancy was even more fun than Geekomancy - and that's saying something! I cannot remember when I've enjoyed a heroine quite so much. Ree is funny, smart, snarky, sexy, and as geeky as they come. Quite a few lines had me laughing out loud, but my non-geek boyfriend didn't understand why I was so amused. You want to read this series, I promise!
Whitley Birks
Oct 11, 2013 marked it as dnf
DNF-ed at 10%.

This book had an interesting premise, but I simply could not get into it. The narration was stuffed so full of pop-culture references (but only certain kinds, of course) that it often turned convoluted or just plain silly trying to work in one or two more. The flow of the story (what little I could tease out) was constantly interrupted by these attempts to cash in on as many different names as possible, and more time was devoted to Ree's social commentary than anything that was act
Michael Melilli
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I keep restarting this review because I just can't figure out a way to explain how much I liked Celebromancy. I was a fan of the first book in the series and expected more geeky, fanboy magical fun but I wasn't prepared for how awesome the second Ree Reyes books would be.

Rather than just doing more of the same in Celebromancy, Michael Underwood dives into an entirely new branch of magic; one that investigates and explains America's obsession with fame and celebrity. This book gives us a sense o
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
This was all kinds of awesome. Gret characters, really good plot and the amazing, brilliant mythology we've seen in the first book of the series. These are the books of my people, I feel, books written with a great love for geekdom and great care too. You can find pretty much anything geek in here: CCG, RPG, TV shows, movies, comics. There is just one omission. Where are The Gamers and Dorkness Rising? This is a must-see for all RPG lovers and I'm honestly surprised to not find it in here. Anywa ...more
Joseph
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Michael R. Underwood has done it again! Celebromancy takes the reader further into the life of fledgling geekomancer Ree Reyes. From mounting successes in some areas of her life to heart-breaking failure in others, Ree is a real and vibrant person. Underwood has created a character that you could invite to your gaming sessions or visit at Grognards and have a fantastically geeky time.
Kim
Ehh it was alright. A bit too much fan service I think, especially the main characters bisexual nature, but it wasn't too bad. Not sure if I'll read any more that may come out.
Mary
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
HIGHLY enjoyable! Review to come!
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears on my blog. Note that links in the blog reviews are not reproduced here, nor will any updates or modifications be replicated in this copy.

NOTE: SPOILERS!

Here's a choice quotation: "Around midnight, Ree got a call on her phone." On what else would she get a call?! Just asking!

Celebromancy is book 2 in the Geekomancy series. I didn't realize this, so please note that I haven't read book 1 (although that's in progress!). I advise you to do this if you're ju
Daniel
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.25 of 5

In the first book of the Ree Reyes series, Geekomancy (read my review here) we learn what 'geekomancy' is (the ability to manifest, for a short time, the power or attribute of anything or anyone in a movie, comic book on a trading card, etc), and are introduced to the geekomancy poster-child, Ree Reyes. In this second installment in the series, author Michael R. Underwood takes us on the next part of Ree Reyes' journey a
Dark Faerie Tales
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Ree is a Geekomancer and a screenwriter who has just hit her big break. Things start looking bad though when the lead actress Jane, who happens to be a Celebromancer starts having problems with her powers. If Ree can’t help her figure out what is going wrong it may be the end of her production before it even begins.

Opening Sentence: Ree was late to her first public appearance as a screenwriter, and she couldn’t even blame it on a monster att
Timothy Pecoraro
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
The problem I usually have with Urban Fantasy(Dresden aside of course), is that it seems entirely unbelievable. It seems like everyone would be running for the hills or people would just find out. Because that kind of thing would definitely have a way of being found out. In the world of Celebromancy there is the “Doubt.” Which keeps people from believing the impossible things are happening. Especially as time goes on from those impossible things. Which seems like a great way of handling it. I w ...more
Tammy
This is the second Ree Reyes adventure, and though I didn't like it as much as I did the first book, Geekomancy, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. At times the pop-culture, nerdiness felt like it was a bit too much for me, and since that's exactly what I signed up for when I chose this book I'll chalk it up to personal taste and move on.

I loved the addition of celebromancy and cinemancy to this universe. Especially celebromancy with the idea that an actor or actress holds certain mantles of power,
Scotto Moore
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is the 2nd book in an urban fantasy series based around the idea of a pop culture-based magic system. in the 1st book, Geekomancy, we learn about an underground culture of magic users who tune in to games, movies, tv shows, comic books, etc., to acquire magic power; the more popular the item and the more personal the connection you have to the item, the greater the juice you can pull from it. the debut was erratically paced and a little maddening, but i got through it via the charisma of th ...more
⚜️Trea
After somewhat enjoying Geekomancy, I had hoped we'd get a continuation of that story line a bit, but instead what we got was something that felt like a step backwards.

I couldn’t get into the story, and it didn’t feel like Ree had really grown since the first book. She's still trying to figure out where she stands with Eastwood and Drake both, then she adds in another "romantic" interest in Jane, which felt like it pandering to the 20-something horny male segment of readers. She kept acting like
Beth Cato
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, ebook, ree-reyes, urban
I may be a bit biased since I read an early draft of this, but I found Celebromancy to be a delightful urban fantasy romp. It's self-awareness of its own silliness without overdoing it--the best way to describe it is "happily geeky." Considering the first book in the series is titled Geekomancy, you get exactly what you expect.

Ree Reyes is a relatable heroine. I like how Underwood explored her bisexuality here without making it feel like total fanservice. Ree is attracted to movie starlet Jane,
Steven
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very exciting and engaging follow-up to GEEKOMANCY. The best thing I can say about this is it's about time someone published an urban fantasy hero(ine) with a great sense of humor. Didn't realize I'd missed this so much since Buffy went off the air.

I also like the fact that Ree is seen in total on the cover, not having her head cut off and all the focus going on secondary gender traits or weapons.

Michael Underwood's woven a fascinating world herein with a wide and surprising variety of magic.
Talk Supe
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Braine's Talk Supe review

Once again, Michael R. Underwood gives us major ball-busting action courtesy of her queer, latina, super Geekomancer, Ree Reyes, in his latest urban fantasy, CELEBROMANCY. If you've read Geekomancy, expect to find the same level of fandom in CELEBROMANCY if not more, as MRUnderwood expertly weaves countless pop culture movers and shakers in this latest Ree Reyes installment.

CELEBROMANCY is fast-paced and action-filled novel and FUN to the nth level! MRUnderwood's imagina
Jeff Raymond
I don't have a ton to say about Celebromancy that I didn't already say about Geekomancy, except that I enjoy the fact that Underwood has gone all in with this bizarro, interesting, fascinating magic system and that, on a whole, the tales are completely unafraid when it comes to offering new ideas in the existing world.

This one is, in some ways, less fun than its predecessor. It makes up for it in a lot of areas, for sure, but those looking for a similar-to-identical experience in the second book
Jen
Oh man. I love this series. I need more of them.

Snarky heroine? Check.
Out-of-timestream adventurer? Check.
Fast paced plot? Check.
Non-gender normative relationships and considerations? Check.
Surly bartender? Check.
Magic system that I so, so wish was real? CHECK.
Surrounding cast of awesome? Check, check, and CHECK.

So, yeah. I love this series and want more adventures of Ree.

EDIT - Aug 21, 2013 - I just finished the Audible version, narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal. This is me being BLOWN AWAY. The
Michel Alexandre Salim
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading Michael Underwood's sophomore effort, as much as I did reading the earlier Geekomancer.

Magic abounds as before, and having Hollywood divas and studios slinging it back and forth certainly makes this book surprisingly ... relatable...

On a technical note, it's been great fun listening to the audiobook in parallel, the seamless sync between the two makes it effortless. I think I found a typo in the book - or simply like Kowal's version better - when Ree reminded Dr
Drev
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the second installment of this series Micheal R Underwood has written another in a hopefully long running series of books. I am not one to often identify with a female lead in novels but with his in depth understanding of Geek culture and nerdy jokes I found this book impossible to put down. I read it from start to finish without stopping and cannot wait for the rest of the books in this series. For readers that like fantasy scifi or are just plain geeks like me this book is for you and you w ...more
Aaron Reiser
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that Michael Underwood has struck upon a wonderful premise with his Geekomancy series. His characters are well written with a light touch of humor provided in every chapter. I look forward to turning each page to find the next gem hidden amongst the pages and I'm definitely looking forward to his future works.

This is a great book for anyone out there who has an inner-geek and needs to let it strut from time to time.
Samantha
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic and geeky read. With references ranging from Buffy and Firefly to Leverage and a whole lot more, this was a great follow-up to Geekomancy. Now I just have to suffer through the many months of waiting until the next book is released. I can honestly say that I am a geeky fangirl for Michael Underwood and plan to recommend this to all of my geek friends.
Kris MacNaughton
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Better narration than the first novel. Really interesting. I still dig all the characters. The geekomancy still satisfies all my needs for reference to pop culture. The nostalgia this series creates would be very useful in its world's magic. The visibly bisexual main character is a huge plus for me, obviously. This is worth reading.
Michael Underwood
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the second Ree Reyes novel, but can be read without first reading Geekomancy, though it would likely be best enjoyed read in order.

I find filmaking, Hollywood and celebrity culture both fascinating and somewhat terrifying, so the decision to have the second 'Mancy' of the Ree Reyes series bring in this world's version of Hollywood and foreground Ree's dream of becoming a screenwriter.
Feminista
Feb 15, 2014 marked it as never-to-read
Shelves: urban-fantasy, arc
Did-not-finish.

I could not finish this book unfortunately. I couldn't understand what was happening (this being the second book in the series). And I just didn't realise what this book was about... Mainly the superwoman theme. I should have read the blurb before requesting this book.

ARC Courtesy of Edelweiss and PocketStar.
Ben
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Geeks of all flavors!
Another amazing, geeky, fun read from Michael Underwood! 5+ stars and a load of recommendations. Great world-building, great characters, AMAZING actions scenes, and all the pop culture you could want (and more!).

Pick up Geekomancy and read it... I'll be waiting to talk to you about it.
Around the Year i...: Celebromancy, by Michael R. Underwood 1 9 Mar 20, 2017 09:17PM
The Challenge Fac...: Karina & Trea - Ree Reyes Series 16 18 Jul 16, 2016 02:32PM
The Sword and Laser: Celebromancy (Ree Reyes #2) 18 86 Jan 24, 2014 07:30PM
Adventures in Sci...: Celebromancy by Michael Underwood 2 13 Aug 20, 2013 07:40PM
  • Velveteen vs. The Junior Super Patriots (Velveteen vs., #1)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Fixer (The Ustari Cycle, #0.5)
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • IMAGINES: Celebrity Encounters Starring You
  • Rifts (Grace Murphy, #2)
  • Damn Him to Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #2)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Forsaken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #5)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Reconstructing Brigid
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Romeo Spikes
  • Whitefern (Audrina, #2)
  • Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1)
  • Deceptive Innocence: Part 3 (Pure Sin, #1.3)
Mike is the author of:

Genrenauts - a Science Fiction Adventure series in novellas, about a group of storytellers that travel between dimensions to the worlds where genres live to fix broken stories. Starts with The Shootout Solution.

The Ree Reyes urban fantasy series (Geekomancy, Celebromancy, Attack the Geek, Hexomancy) about magicians who channel the power of popular culture. Starts with .

Shiel
More about Michael R. Underwood

Ree Reyes (3 books)
  • Geekomancy (Ree Reyes, #1)
  • Hexomancy (Ree Reyes, #3)
“Today I acquired a collection of ray guns, posed for a cover spread, and wrote four thousand words of essay, including a reminder for my readers to avoid that terrible gallery show. What have you done?"
"Science," Drake said, annoyance shadowing his face as he crossed to the bar.”
1 likes
“Jane smiled the Making Lemonade smile that adults learn to do when they get used to the world stomping on their heads.” 1 likes