Start by marking “Fool's Paradise” as Want to Read:
Fool's Paradise

Fool's Paradise

If John Gierach is living in a fool's paradise, then it's a paradise that his regular readers will recognize and new fans will delight in discovering. Laced with the inimitable blend of wit and wisdom that have made him fly-fishing's foremost scribe, "Fool's Paradise" chronicles the fishing life in all its glory (catching your biggest fish ever) and squalor (being stranded ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Fool's Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool's Paradise

Don
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is another noteworthy book in the Gierach series. His stories in "Trout Bum" and "Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing" got me hooked years ago, and I am happy to see he is still producing an occasional book.
His fishing advice is always good but more important for me is to try and emulate his fishing philosophy. If you fish you will enjoy his books.
Mike Prochot
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoors
I like John Gierach’s writing. I have read most if not all of his books. Some are more instructional than others, but they all follow a similar formula – a collection of not necessarily related and not necessarily progressing stories, numbered as chapters, about experiences John has had while on, or going to, or coming from, or planning for, or decompressing from, or planning to go on, fishing trips (well, and maybe a tiny bit of hunting). Most of the stories include one or more of a usual cast ...more
Doug
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Outdoor Enthusiasts
Easily the greatest fishing writer of our time. I don't fly fish, but every time I pick up one of Mr. Gierach's books, I want to...Not only that I feel like I should, like I'm less of a person if I don't.

I don't feel this way because I think Gierach has some sort of 'holier than though' fishing complex. I feel this way because every time he writes about stepping on a river whether it's a river in the middle of winter or the summer on a small pond chasing large mouth bass and musky, it feels magi
Jim
Apr 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: persons interested in fly fishing
This is the third book I've read by Gierach, and so I'm getting used to his writing style. I don't think this is a bad book; I just don't think it is a very good one. That's my complaint with all of his books that I've read. I guess you could say he is consistent.

There are parts of the book that shine, that show insights into the collective trout-fishing-with-a-fly body politic that are quite good. In fact, he did manage to get me to laugh out loud on at least one occasion, which is an accompli
Larry Harbison
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys the outdoors.
Recommended to Larry by: Stephen Woodcock
A book (an autographed first edition gift from friend, fly fishing mentor and guide Stephen Woodcock) I hated to finish because I enjoyed it so much. I learned a little bit more about a sport than requires continual learning.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
A collection of short stories. Very dry read and left me hanging on some stories, no ending. Would have liked to see the pictures he mentioned in a couple of places of the people and fish. Hints of humor here and there. Disappointed in this book.
Bryon
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I don't know much about fly fishing but now I really have to get out there and give it a go. It's a nice easy read for a rainy day, plus you might learn a thing or two.
Peter
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good writer muses about fishing and life.
Sam
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another John Gierach gem. He is my favorite fly fishing author. Instantly readable.
Ron Patch
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from John.
Jared
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
good essays about fly fishing, pretty laid back read.
Jak
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I should have highlighted many parts of this book.
Mr. Wakiki
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
essays on fishing
good books on any subject is a good book
Andrew
James Robberson
Jun 14, 2012

• The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing
  • The Earth Is Enough: Growing Up in a World of Flyfishing, Trout & Old Men
  • The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide, Completely Revised and Updated with Over 400 New Color Photos and Illustrations
  • The Compleat Angler, or the Contemplative Man's Recreation
  • Seaworthy: A Swordboat Captain Returns to the Sea
  • An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World
  • The Nail Knot (Fly Fishing Mysteries #1)
  • Hemingway on Fishing
  • Great Lakes Shipwrecks & Survivals
  • Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind
  • Superstition: Belief in the Age of Science
  • The Old Man and the Boy
  • When a Gene Makes You Smell Like a Fish: And Other Amazing Tales about the Genes in Your Body
  • Great Possessions : An Amish Farmer's Journal