Start by marking “Squirrelly Gray (Picture Book)” as Want to Read:
Squirrelly Gray (Picture Book)

Squirrelly Gray (Picture Book)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
SQUIRRELLY GRAY LIVES in a world without color. His TV is the only fun he has. (And it's really not much fun.) But tonight is an unusual night for the young squirrel. First he meets the Tooth Fairy, who is very nice. And then he meets the Hungry Fox, who is not so nice. So turn off that TV, Squirrelly Gray - the fun is just beginning Mixing playful verse with comics-inspir ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Squirrelly Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squirrelly Gray

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bored little squirrel saves the world! Fun book with great art!
Dov Zeller
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm officially hooked on James Kochalka. As is my five year old neighbor. Thumbs up from both of us for Squirrelly Gray. It's cute, silly, funny, a touch irreverent, a little absurd, and I would even say it falls into the realm of creation myth type tales. I'm pretty sure it couldn't be more charming and ends with the words "tee hee." Tee hee.
Kate
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So apparently I’m not only on a graphic novel/picture book kick, I’m on a James Kochalka one as well. But what can I say? He writes and illustrates amazing books that are meant for kids but appeal just as much to adults.

Little Squirrelly Gray’s story is no different. He lives in his tree and is bored out of his mind because he only has a TV to keep him occupied. His life is dull, drab, and simply put, gray. One day he decides to try and humor himself by wiggling his teeth. He wiggles them so muc
Junio
Sep 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: pictures, comix
This is the story of a little squirrel who watches the static on TV because he has nothing better to do, and then he finds himself in a little adventure that changes his life.

This book is the first Children's book by esteemed indie comic creator James Kochalka. I think it's great because it teaches children as well as uninitiated parents how to read a comic. The left page is reserved for text by a omniscient narrator, while the right page is reserved for a comic illustrating what the narration j
Susan
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Once upon a time the world was gray, boring, and it rained all the time. Then young Squirrelly Gray lost his two front teeth and saved the tooth fairy. For his reward, Squirrelly gets a magic acorn--but how will he open it without his teeth? Enter a hungry fox.....and I can't tell the rest; but you should read it, that would be best! This is an engaging book, told in rhyme, illustrated in sunday comics style (big panels, some dialog). A cracking good read (tee-hee)!
Cheryl
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: K-5
From indie comic writer James Kochalka, alternating rhyming prose with comic strip on facing page, featuring Squirrely Gray, Tooth Fairy, Hungry Fox, and Magic Acorn. A great addition to the pouquoi genre. Go Squirrely!
Emilia P
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I have been waiting far too long to read this.
Very James K.-y, with not quite on point rhymes and really fun pictures that didn't quite match the story as it was written. Very much a kid's book and very much Kochalka just goofing off at the same time. It would be cool to be his kid! Fun to read walking down the downtown businessy streets of Minneapolis.
Jamie Felton
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
As much as I love his artwork, James Kochalka's book for kids is a little bit too weird to be a kid's book. But it's also a little bit too silly to be an adult's book. It falls somewhere in between and feels awkward to read because of this.
Wes Young
Apr 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm a big Kochalka fan by now and this book features his trademark art and text, coupled with a poetic, moral-centric story. It's a total little kid's book, but I liked it.
Magila
2.5

I do have to admit I enjoyed the end.
Katie
Oct 19, 2012
Ramon
Feb 03, 2013
Sean
rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2010
Aug 11, 2013
Jason
Nov 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
James Kochalka is an American comic book artist and writer, and rock musician. His comics are noted for their blending of the real and the surreal. Largely autobiographical, Kochalka's cartoon expression of the world around him includes such real-life characters as his wife, children, cat, friends and colleagues, but always filtered through his own observations and flights of whimsy. In March 2011 ...more
More about James Kochalka