Start by marking “A Heart Full of Peace” as Want to Read:
A Heart Full of Peace

A Heart Full of Peace

Following in the footsteps of two millennia of Buddhist practitioners, author-teacher Joseph Goldstein leads Forest Refuge programs, lengthy retreats in which seekers develop “the practice of awakening.” A Heart Full of Peace distills those teachings into breezy, entertaining lessons on peacefulness and positivity that all readers can learn from and enjoy. Like the songlin ...more
Published October 28th 2007 by Wisdom Publications (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart Full of Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart Full of Peace

Start your review of A Heart Full of Peace
Mia
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, favorites
A lovely little book which can be read in one sitting.
An excerpt from the foreword by the Dalai Lama sums it up the best:
"This small book conveys with clarity and concision some of the spiritual teachings and practices we urgently need to help balance the materialism of our age--compassion, love, kindness, a skillful mind, and a peaceful heart."
May Ling
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Summary: Very short and approachable. I love the humility of this amazing person as he tells us this philosophy of how to think about meditation, peace, and this sort of spiritual journey.

In this short book, you get a far better sense for the idea that Meditation is a practice of something. So often when people talk about meditation and it's benefits, it talks more about peaceful and calm. In this book, in short order, it goes through more that sort of mental stuff that is not just peace calm an
Susa Schwalbe
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
A light read on general Buddhist top ten topics like meditation, attachment, compassion and so on with more Tibetan perspective. Nice to read before bed to fall asleep with, but completely lacking structure, so I honestly don't remember much of what I read. ...more
Jessica Lillesand
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, succinct book that focuses on the practical aspects of Buddhism. A wonderful companion to anyone who is working with a regular meditation practice.
Teri Miller
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening

This is the first book in many years that I could not put down. From the first sentence I knew I was meant to read this book.
Michelle
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, a very peace-ful read. A simple book to be read often.
James Allen
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
A short but powerful book on mindfulness, compassion, and peace. Goldstein knows how to get to the heart of the matter and express it succinctly.
Chris Duprey
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joseph Goldstein has been a huge influence in my practice and my study of mindfulness and the Dhamma.
This short book truly captures the practice with a gentle and reassuring way.
Wendy Yu
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
oh buddhism, i love your ideas but you're so hard to distill into a compelling written narrative. i still dig you though. ...more
tpei
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
A lovely little book full of inspiration for the spiritual path. Its short sections are very well suited for being picked up here and there for a few minutes of inspiring insights.
Sidek
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-development
Love this book. Unlike any other "self-help book", this one is straight to the point about how to be in happy, peace, free of suffering states. To conclude, it is all in your (healthy) mind.

I was so depressed for the past years and under shrink care with cocktail of medications. The depression is almost no more, however my brain was shaped by the experience of depression-state itself, and became so negative.

What i need now are factors that could reshaping my mind into positive one with less worr
Rubina
Only a 100 pages but this compact book is filled with so much insightful teachings on the practice of compassion, loving-kindness and peace. Goldstein reminds us by developing awareness of our motivations, thoughts and emotions, we can learn to accept and manage the many struggles and difficulties we face in life.
Definitely a book which should be read not just by anyone who wants to understand the basic philiosphy of Buddhism but also for advanced practitioners.
Steve Woods
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
This is another great little collection of readings. These collections, I use two or three, are an integral part of my daily practice. I read at least one a day, just to get my mind focused on a specific thought and to keep my own practice alive to the basics of my own path. It is a habit I strongly recommend to anyone who is walking any kind of spiritual path.
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantastic teacher.
Alexandrea
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quick and gentle reminder to actively embrace peace and see the good around us.
Michelle
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good, classic text.
Carolyn
Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Simply Beautiful.
Steve Kemp
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book you want to read over and over again. I have a feeling mine is going to be with me most everywhere I go ! Yes , it is that good !
Padmasiri

• A Practical Guide to Holistic Health
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Raymie Nightingale
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Someone to Wed (Westcott #3)
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • Someone to Care (Westcott #4)
  • Kynä - Kaikki tärkeä kirjoittamisesta
  • Mindfulness in Plain English
  • Lapsiperheen vegaanikeittokirja
  • The Troop
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7)
  • Lupa: eroottisia novelleja
  • Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
Joseph Goldstein (born 1944) is one of the first American vipassana teachers (Fronsdal, 1998), co-founder of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) with Jack Kornfield and Sharon Salzberg, contemporary author of numerous popular books on Buddhism (see publications below), resident guiding teacher at IMS, and leader of retreats worldwide on insight (vipassana) and lovingkindness (metta) meditation.

Wh

News & Interviews

“The commitment to morality, or non-harming, is a source of tremendous strength, because it helps free the mind from the remorse of having done unwholesome actions. Freedom from remorse leads to happiness. Happiness leads to concentration. Concentration brings wisdom. And wisdom is the source of peace and freedom in our lives.” 23 likes
“Love, compassion, and peace do not belong to any religion or tradition. They are qualities in each one of us, qualities of our hearts and minds..” 4 likes