Start by marking “God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time” as Want to Read:
God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time

God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time

Nobel Laureate Desmond Tutu has long been admired throughout the world for the heroism and grace he exhibited while encouraging countless South Africans in their struggle for human rights. In God Has a Dream, his most soul-searching book, he shares the spiritual message that guided him through those troubled times. Drawing on personal and historical examples, Archbishop Tu ...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Image (first published March 16th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about God Has a Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Has a Dream

Start your review of God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time
Jim
What a fantastic book! God has a dream - and that dream is is that we are His arms and legs that bring about transformation in this world. That without experiencing life with others, we are not fully human. The importance of how our Christianity is intended to change everything and everyone around us.

Plus, he used the word "wonky". I love that word.
Katie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
This isn’t the kind of book I’d normally pick up. I initially bought it after hearing a lecture by Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky, who wrote a great book on secondary trauma. She quoted the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hahn, and Desmond Tutu extensively and afterwards, in addition to her book, I bought a few by Thich Nhat Hahn and Desmond Tutu. It’s taken me awhile to read this one, although it’s a pretty short book.

I found it really comforting. As I’ve written about before, my relationship with God is oft
Linda
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
A rather liberalk but uplifting book about God's work in our lives today. Tutu takes life experience from South Africa and explains God and his love for us. Perhaps the line of writing that people will be startled with is that statement that "God loves our enemies as much as he loves us". We must believe this if we cling to a loving all powerful God. God is so good and you will agree after reading this book.
JM
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Archbishop Tutu presents a radical way of viewing the relationship between God and Man. It was very soothing to listen to his voice as he expressed the goodness of God and God's dream of humans loving each other. If I were not a Baptist clergyman, I would be an Anglican priest, just so I could study under him!
Arleen Lindstedt
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I would have given this a 5 ---- but it's not exceptional literature --- it's a warm, heartfelt, genuine account of our common humanity: that struggles and suffering aren't options; and that we must learn to live and see with the eyes of the heart....Live Ubuntu!
Inder
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
What a lovely little book, truly a vision of hope. It choked me up a bunch. Just the way he starts every chapter with "Dear Child of God," was enough to get me going. I'm not sure why I had such an emotional response - just the fact that someone who has lived through so much could be so compassionate, so hopeful?

It's not evenly written, and there are some less amazing parts, but overall, really beautiful. Also, he's surprisingly liberal. At least, it surprised me a little. But very pleasantly so
Sue
I was disappointed with this, largely because it wasn't what I'd expected. The library catalog description spoke of it as a book in which Tutu shares the spiritual message that guided him as he helped guide the nation out of apartheid. From that, I expected it to be an account of what the nation was going through (and his role with the Truth and Reconciliation Commision) and how his faith supported him in those activities. Instead, I found it to be broad spiritual statements, designed to appeal ...more
Emily
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book - one I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did. It's a beautiful read, and I could feel the love of the author coming through the pages.

This excerpt of the summary really expresses how I felt about it: "Nobel Laureate Desmond Tutu has long been admired throughout the world for the heroism and grace he exhibited while encouraging countless South Africans in their struggle for human rights. In God Has a Dream, his most soul-searching book, he shares the spiritual message th
Anna-karin
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wow. Tutu basically describes "pure religion and undefiled" (James 1:27) in this book in the sweetest and simplest way. I do not necessarily agree with every doctrine and social opinion that he puts forth, but definitely most of them! It is not often that someone can cut through all the complexity and excess of life and pare it down to some lovely basics that definitely point us to God, by way of our sisters and brothers all around the world.
Michelle DeFields-Gambrel
If I could only read one book besides the Bible, this would be it!!! God's message to us didn't end with Revelation and when I read this book about God's love for us and how God wants us to love each other in the same way, it just rings with Truth. Truly the most important book I've read in a long time!
blmagm
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A "light bulb" moment when reading this book...Our EFM group has struggled with the question as to whether or not God has a master plan. The author states it's not whether or not God has a plan, it's how fully humans choose to participate in the plan. Tutu radiates his spirit of love on every page!
Martin
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Arch-Bishop Tutu has been one of the world's premier voices for peace, hope, and reconciliation in the midst of some of the most intransigent strife and injustice.

"God Has a Dream" captures a life time of theology, both learned and experienced. With gentle wisdom, he shares what he has learned and what he still sees as hope for our world.

I would highly recommend this.
Joanne
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book moved me personally more than any of his others, maybe it was because I had just finished his biography so it was infinitely clear just how miraculous his gentle words are about allowing suffering to build all that is compassionate in us. Not a book for Christians, or Anglicans but a book for anyone who has hope for mankind, or just wants to have hope for mankind.
Michelle Anderson
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an easy book to read with a very life changing message. Getting to sit down with this book and read it was like getting to sit down with you grandpa and listen to a lifetime of stories. I highly recommend this.
Carol
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! If you have lost faith in humanity, or simple feel inspired by someone who has supreme faith, this is a must read. Tutu's understanding and compassion had me running up the street to share his thoughts with my neighbour.
Joseph
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A slender read, Bishop Tutu has had an enormous impact on my perception of life, and deepened my connection to a God that is personal, not to make a pun but he has deepened my understanding of... A God that has a Dream, and not just for me. For all of us.
Signe
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
I learned never to ostracise anybody intentionally again - and this desicion changed a lot of things for me
Natalie
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am currently obsessed with Desmond Tutu, so take my 5 stars with a grain of salt. He frames the essence of what life is and should be very well. I think he is DARLING!
missy jean
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A wise and comforting book that makes me want to get up off my duff and do something kind for someone else.
Yamile Méndez
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I want to learn more about South African history. What a great man.
Sharon Edelmann
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written words of peace.
Rod
Nov 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not convinced this is GOD's dream AT ALL - it's definitely Mr. Tutu's hope and bad theology though. Oh well~

Desmond was an Archbishop of the Anglican church at one time - (Didn't he have to take a Sunday school test to get that job? Apparently not.) He seems to have no comprehension of the entirety of the Bible. He only has a few favorite Bible stories that he babbles about and takes out of context. He seems like a nice guy though: I wouldn't object to him running a soup kitchen or collectin
Olivia
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
literally the gentlest piece of theological literature i've ever read :')
Leroy Seat
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-devotional
This is a very fine book of sermons/talks by Archbishop Tutu. There is humor in them, but most importantly there are profound insights and emphases. And it is a very hopeful book.

In the first chapter Tutu declares, “This is a moral universe, which means that, despite all the evidence that seems to be to the contrary, there is no way that evil and injustice and oppression and lies can have the last word. God is a God who cares about right and wrong. God cares about justice and injustice. God is i
Jes Pedroza
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks contemplating the good in all.
Despite the fact that this book was a short and breezy read, the concept of ubuntu continues to probe my thoughts even though the book has long been read. Ubuntu is an African concept which conveys the idea that we are only who we are because of others. We are all connected and can not survive without each other. When Bill Clinton spoke at the 2007 U of M commencement, he noted that ubuntu was like saying, "I am because you are". Desmond Tutu does a wonderful job at describing this concept (whic ...more
Jeff
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desmond Tutu who has walked through immense darkness with apartheid in South Africa, now talks about how to have hope in the midst of horrendous, bad, good and everything in between situations.

His vision for hope is based on his faith in God, and in people. People tend to have a focus on one over the other. Those who have a hope in God alone, see that humans are basically not good and therefore God is the only good one who can help humanity. Those who have a hope in humanity alone, don't believ
Amber
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pearls of wisdom written in clear, easy to understand language. As a theologian, I could appreciate what he was saying at the same time that I know I could give this book to my twelve year old niece and she would understand it as well. The most beautiful thing about this book is Tutu's dedication to loving language (beginning each chapter with 'Dear Child of God') and inclusive language (refusing the inherent sexism of much religious language actively). The only thing I didn't particularly like ...more
Adam
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a simple and beatiful book from a great spirtual leader. Its stories or anecdotes are heartfelt and the lessons intuitive. I read it in about a day and a half. I don't consider myself 'religious' and this is written by a someone (a cardinal? perhaps) in the Roman Catholic church. But his views are very non-secular and maybe even what some may call progressive but in essence, like I said before, they are simple reminders on living righteously and with love and in doing so regardless of a ...more
Maggie
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY recommended. when I hesitate to explain my faith tradition because the words that might capture that experience do NOT come easily, I nonetheless still long to be able to speak about what it is like to be in relationship with God who speaks in a small voice and who appears more absent and weak than present and powerful. NOW I can point to THIS book and say, "What he says." Beautiful, clear, and accurate!!

Be aware, however: this book can only explain the experience that a person of faith h
Peter
A book with a simple premise of profound breadth and implications.
God's intentions have always been for us to live in just, equal and codependent society. It follows therefore that living from faith means living for that aim and so, by definition, acting in ways that lessen injustice and poverty.
Rev. Tutu emphasizes that this, (and therefore his actions in bringing about the overthrow of apartheid not to mention his involvement in the Israeli-Palestinian relations) primarily a spiritual practice
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. God Has a Dream by Desmond Tutu 1 3 Apr 08, 2012 07:10PM

• Nobody Cries When We Die: God, Community, and Surviving to Adulthood
  • The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
  • Meditations of the Heart
  • Where Do We Go from Here:  Chaos or Community?
  • Socrates in the City: Conversations on "Life, God, and Other Small Topics"
  • Money, Possessions and Eternity
  • Plain Theology for Plain People (Lexham Classics)
  • If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil
  • Race Matters
  • The Unexplainable Church: Reigniting the Mission of the Early Believers (A Study of Acts 13-28)
  • Strange Planet
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe
  • Katheryn Howard: The Scandalous Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #5)
  • An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith
  • Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others
  • Lost December
  • Reunion: The Good News of Jesus for Seekers, Saints, and Sinners
Desmond Mpilo Tutu is a South African cleric and activist who rose to worldwide fame during the 1980s as an opponent of apartheid. In 1984, Tutu became the second South African to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Tutu was the first black South African Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa, and primate of the Church of the Province of Southern Africa (now the Anglican Church of Southern A ...more

News & Interviews

“Dear Child of God, I write these words because we all experience sadness, we all come at times to despair, and we all lose hope that the suffering in our lives and in the world will ever end. I want to share with you my faith and my understanding that this suffering can be transformed and redeemed. There is no such thing as a totally hopeless case. Our God is an expert at dealing with chaos, with brokenness, with all the worst that we can imagine. God created order out of disorder, cosmos out of chaos, and God can do so always, can do so now--in our personal lives and in our lives as nations, globally. ... Indeed, God is transforming the world now--through us--because God loves us.” 70 likes
“It is through weakness and vulnerability that most of us learn empathy and compassion and discover our soul.” 57 likes