Start by marking “Waiting for Dusk” as Want to Read:

(Waiting For Dusk #1)

Read a book.
Fall asleep.
Meet a boy.
Is it real or just a dream?
Katie’s everyday life suddenly turns exciting when she travels back in time and meets the boy of her dreams. Thinking of nothing else, willing to leave the real world behind, she’s determined to find out if it’s all a dream or not. Returning again and again, Katie almost has her answers until one day her preciou
Published November 27th 2012 by Melange Books

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for Dusk

Jenny Twist
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Katie begins to read the historical novel her mother has lent her she has no idea what she is letting herself in for. For that night she has a dream. A dream so realistic that she can hardly believe it wasn’t real. She returns to the same dream the next night, and the night after…
Soon Katie is living half her life in the present and the other half in the past. There’s no harm in that, is there? Well, not until she falls in love with a boy in the wrong time frame.

This is a delightful story,
Satarupa
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side!

Firstly I would love to thank Nancy Pennick, author of Waiting of Dust for giving me this wonderful opportunity to read and review her book which I truly fell in love with.

It was great and new experience for me because this is the first time that I read a book which included time travel. When I read the blurb, it really excited me and I quickly enrolled my name for getting a copy of this but my expectatio
Susan Gesing
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I loved Waiting for Dusk. Katie is living in two worlds. Is one a dream? She has to find out when she finds herself falling in love with Andrew. The story is rich in detail of the Grand Canyon and gives insight into the 1920's. My book club read this book too anad everyone rated it 5 stars!
Tara Hall
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Good Book Alert

I liked Katie right off, maybe because I also felt a little bored doing website maintenance on my own sites and also had turned to a book to escape my doldrums. I’m happy to report Waiting For Dusk didn’t disappoint, though all the talk of western skies and riding did make me long for a horseback ride.

What I liked: Katie/Kathryn/Kate was very realistic and no-nonsense, but also came off exactly as a young adult with all good points and flaws, not as a false young adul
Tina
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Waiting for Dusk by author Nancy Pennick is about Katie, a normal teenager, and her adventures into the spectacular world of time traveling and surreal dreams. The story opens with us meeting Katie and her mom during the summer, when the teenager is really bored and misses her school friends. But when her mom decides to give her an old historical book to read, things quickly take a turn for the surreal. Katie find herself in a world of Harvey Girls, vintage cars and boarding schools from the pas ...more
Lisa Dess
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and give it 4 1/2 stars. This story was creative, clever, and awesome to read. You can clearly feel the two different time periods come to life.
Justine
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
When I started reading this book I wasn't feeling it. We were introduced to 8 characters in the first 3 pages and those characters all had about 3 nicknames. I found that annoying having to figure out who was who. After that fiasco I actually really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the concept and I liked when we finally start getting the truth about everything. I did find all of the romance entertaining despite the insta- lo
Charmaine Pauls
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Katie and Drew's journey between the past and the present. I don't usually read novels with time travel themes, and the fact that this author pulled it off for me, says a lot. The plot was engaging, and the characters easy to identify with. This is a wonderful young adult novel, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Caroline
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Time Travelers series by Caroline B. Cooney
Review MAY contain minor spoilers - nothing I don't think you'd guess just from reading the synopsis though!

4.5 Stars

When I first picked up "Waiting For Dusk" and started reading, I was sure I wasn't going to like it. The first couple of chapters were kind of boring and Katie was just irritating. But oh boy am I glad I stuck with it! After those first couple of chapters, once the story got going, I was SUCKED in!

When Katie complains about being bored because all of her friends have "abandoned" h
Elicia Cheah
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot...

(view spoiler)
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
The cover of Waiting for Dusk drew me right in with its beautiful sunset (can't go wrong with that! ;)), so I just HAD to see what it was about. Good news- the synopsis mentioned a girl who loves BOOKS. Double check for a supposedly great book!

In spite of how excited I was to read this, I feel like this was a bit of a let down. This book was just not the most captivating thing I've ever read, even though there were still some aspects of it that I really loved.

For a quick summary, Waiting for Du
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
I read this book on request of the author. It’s called Waiting for Dusk by Nancy Pennick, and it’s the first in a trilogy.

The book follows Katie, who is feeling pretty bored in her summer holiday. All of that changes when she picks up a back and realizes it takes her back in time, and meets the boy of her dream. Is it all a dream, or is she really time traveling? Determined to find the truth and willing to leave the real world behind, has Katie gone too far this time? And will her waking up and
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}

**A free copy of this book was received from the author in exchange for an honest review.**

Waiting For Dusk is the kind of book that I should love. I love time travel stories, and the blurb made this book sound amazing. So why didn't I enjoy this one?

The big problem I had with the story was Kathryn/Kate/Katie. I didn't connect with her at all. I thought that she was a bit Mary Sue-ish.

Another problem was that the book didn't teach me too much about life in the 1920s. This was what I was
Jessica
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, e-books
Katie's mom gives her a book after she is bored and all her friends are gone for the summer. Than she wakes up in a boardinghouse with 3 other girls. On her first day of work after getting eggs from the henhouse she runs into Andrew aka Drew.

Her best friend Ty comes into town and makes a move on her but all she can think about is the guy in her dreams. Kate keeps loosing track of her days after she goes into her dream would. Drew takes Kate all over the Grand Canyon, showing her all that he love
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Waiting for Dusk is a great read that actually had me be surprised because I love time travel and dream travel. The descriptions in this book really has me ready to go to the mountains. I will say there were times when I got a little frustrated reading because Katie would get very annoying and for some reason it made her seem like she was an ass at times but I kept going and I have to say that I am glad I finished because it was a cute story and the ending was good.

Katie is working on the farm a
Cameron Kalua
Oct 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
The premise of this book had so much potential. That's the only reason I kept reading this book. That and I'm a romantic at heart and wanted to see what happened. The writing was very poor in this book. The dialog was stilted, not at all how people would really talk. Their reactions and actions didn't always play out as one would expect in real life.
Heidi
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. I found the mc annoying and immature. the dream world is the only thing that saved this book for me
Kelsey
Sep 30, 2013 marked it as maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, contemporary
I'm kind of irritated I bought this. because rereading the synopsis it doesn't sound like something I'm really interested in... maybe I'll read it when I have nothing else. maybe.
Lexi Vick
Oct 31, 2015
Fire & Ice  Young Adult Books
Jun 17, 2016
Jehaenah de Ramos
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2013
Dena
Jan 25, 2018
Patrick Atillo
Feb 19, 2013
Book Giveaways: Waiting for Dusk ebook giveaway! 1 5 Sep 30, 2014 10:11AM
Free Books, .99, ...: Waiting for Dusk ebook giveaway! 1 14 Sep 30, 2014 10:11AM
Advanced Copies f...: Waiting for Dusk ebook giveaway! 1 10 Sep 30, 2014 10:11AM
After a career in teaching, Nancy began writing young adult books. The Waiting for Dusk series includes a historical fiction prequel, Broken Dreams. The fantasy romance series has three books-Waiting for Dusk, Call of the Canyon and Stealing Time. The Swedish influences in the series come from her mother whose parents emigrated from Sweden.
Her new series-Twenty Nine-has slowly developed over time

Waiting For Dusk (5 books)
  • Call of the Canyon (Waiting for Dusk #2)
  • Stealing Time (Book #3 Waiting for Dusk)
  • Broken Dreams Anna and Lucinda's Story
  • Taking Chances (Waiting for Dusk Book .5)