Start by marking “The Glory” as Want to Read:
The Glory

The Glory

(The Hope and the Glory #2)

In The Hope, world-famed historical novelist Herman Wouk told the riveting saga of the first twenty years of Israel's existence, culminating in its resounding triumph in the Six-Day War, which amazed the world as few events of this turbulent century have. With The Glory, Wouk rejoins the story of Israel's epic journey in one of his most compelling works yet. From the ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glory

Start your review of The Glory
Supratim
I journey that I had started with The Hope now finally comes to an end and I must say that the journey had been enjoyable for the most part.

The characters introduced in The Hope are still there and their children have now grown old enough to don the national uniform of their country.

Israel had won the Six Days War but her troubles are far from over. In midst of war and diplomatic pressure life continues as usual - love, infatuation, misunderstanding, ambitions, affairs go on. What I liked most
Gary
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Glory continues where The Hope left off and continues with the characters we have come to know in The hope as well as introducing us to the trials and tribulations of their grown up children: The new generation
We are taken through key pints in Israel's struggle for survival: The raid on terrorists in Beirut in retaliation for the massacre by PLO operatives of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics; the horror and sacrifice of the Yom Kippur War and the resultant political fallout; the
Nancy Ellis
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those priceless books, the ones you never want to end. I was so involved in it, it took me a few days to come back down to earth and withdraw from it. All avid readers have experienced that sense of loss, as if you had to say goodbye to close friends.

The story resumes from the first book, "The Hope", and takes the characters through the buildup to the Yom Kippur War, the panic and then the pulling together to bring victory to Israel. Wouk's writing is so intense again in this
This is the second book of the series "The Hope and the Glory."

In this epic novel, the author describes the following historical events: the sinking of the Israeli ship Eilat by Soviet rockets fired by the Egyptian Navy; the Yom Kippur War, the dramatic Entebbe rescue, and bomb Iraq's nuclear reactor in 1981; and the visit of Anwar Sadat to Israel.

The historical characters mentioned in this book are the following: Yonatan Netanyahu, Golda Meir, Ariel Sharon, Anwar Sadat, Moshe Dayan, and David
Sonny
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
While I've thoroughly enjoyed reading Herman Wouk in the past, The Glory never captured my interest. When the narrative took us into the events of the Yom Kippur War, it was interesting to read. However, when he got away from the war and dealt with the many characters, I completely lost interest. His characters seemed flat and colorless.
Blakely
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really, really wanted to like this book. It has many good qualities: it's absorbing, it's exciting, it's hard to put down.

But the fact is that every single female character in this book basically serves as a plot device to further develop the stories of the male characters. The bottom line is that this is a 700 page book that fails the Bechdel Test.
Patrick
Mar 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I would have preferred that Wouk concentrated more on the events that shaped a young Israel and less on the love lives of his fictional characters. The sinking of The Eilat gets fewer words than some woman having an affair. It read more like "Peyton Place". Maybe I would have a different opinion if I had read The Hope first.
Jeff P
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This is a good work of historical fiction, very interesting story. It was difficult to keep all the characters straight, especially since the author switched back and forth between nicknames and proper names IMHO a little excessively. I will read more by Wouk, and also more of the history from this book.
Becky
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The conclusion of Wouk's The Hope and The Glory, The Glory picks up after the 6 day war and ends at Israel's 40th anniversary celebration in 1988. I was unaware of some of the history, being a child when it happened. A terrific book and series.
Al
This is the final volume of Herman Wouk's two historical novels about the early days of Israel. Wouk tells the story through a few compelling fictional characters who interact with real characters such as Golda Meir, Moshe Dayan and Menachem Begin and Egypt's Anwar Sadat.

The surprise attack at the start of the Yom Kippur War by several Arab countries caught Israel by surprise during one of it most revered religious holidays and shows how close Israel came to defeat. In the end audacity and
Cynthia
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read "The Hope," which I found rather odd, given that it was a Wouk novel. Odd, in that I just could not connect with any of the characters.

Anyway, I just finished "The Hope." I still could not connect with any of the characters, and Emily was one of the most annoying characters I have ever had the displeasure to meet in a book. I am not sure why Wouk wrote her in such a silly manner. I know how women spoke in the 60s and 70s, and we never used the terminology she did! He wrote her as if she
Misha
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely the easiest and most gripping way to read the history of Israel in the 1960s and 1970s. I was completely pulled in to the story. Great characters (although I did start to wonder what the rate of affairs and divorces was in Israel at that time period, because it started feeling like all of his characters were embroiled in something), incredible research (I appreciated the section at the end that revealed how factual the book was), and a very good sense of pacing throughout ...more
Chuck
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to The Hope, a novel of the early history of the State of Israel. It, like its predecessor, is well researched and documented. It continues where The Hope left off and the author does a good job of reminding the reader of the events and characters already introduced. (I was grateful for his effort in this regard as six months have passed since I read The Hope and my memory is not as sharp as it once was) I thoroughly enjoyed this novel in spite of the author's sometimes ...more
Eric
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good solid writing on the part of Wouk, and the story was far above average for me on the 'interest' scale, but in the end it was just a book to 'like' but not fall in love with. Sold characters abounded, and the path through history was on solid ground. In the end I had to wonder if "The Hope" and "The Glory" might have been better served with one huge, "The Hope and the Glory," in one volume that had been turned over to an editor with whom Wouk would have loved working.
Janenereicherthotmail.com
Excellent historical fiction

With the reading of this book, I have read all of Wouk's novels. This was one of his better ones. A bit difficult with so many key characters to follow. I strongly recommend his following books: Winds of War, War and Remembrances, and Youngblood Hawke.
Helio
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like other reviewers (e.g. Cynthia) I couldn't get into the many characters. I appreciated the telling of historical events particularily the Yom Kipper War. I tried to remember where I was during the actual events and recall the impeachment of Nixon around the time but didn't recall it being during the war.

The wikipedia account provides even more reasons the Isrealis were led into believing there would not be a war revealing how wily Sadat was such as sending some Eygptian troops on leave and
Alan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epub

The gripping sequel to Pulitzer Prize–winner Herman Wouk’s stunning historical novel The Hope…

The Glory plunges immediately into the violence and upheaval of the Six-Day War of 1967—and continues the dramatic story of Israel’s struggle for survival. A sprawling, action-packed novel, Wouk takes readers through the terrors of the Yom Kippur War, the famous Entebbe rescue, and the airstrikes on Saddam Hussein’s nuclear reactor—ending with the final hope for peace.

Illuminating the inner lives

Marks
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Finish To A Great Story

Israel is the greatest story of the modern era. Born out of ancient promise and modern barbarism a small nation fulfilling the destiny of many histories is a difficult story to write. As you follow the magnificent characters of Wouk you learn the lessons and paradox of a nation that defies explanation and survives by the grace of its ancient God.
Steven
A long read that I need to break away from a few times. While I love his ability to write characters and flesh them out, this story took way too long to tell. Where the first book had each war to further the story, much of this book had to rely on much out of the control of the characters which dragged it down.
Christian J
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr Wouk delivers once again! This conclusion to a wonderful series allows the reader to be immersed in a society which has had to fight for its very existence, and is now stronger than ever. The characters add to this work tremendously!
Robert J
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the Audible version and really enjoyed it.
Adam Hummel
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down - a real epic from an epic author.
Greeng
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting historical fiction.
Jim Rickard
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a great book.

Loved it. Loved watching the family, the events is Israel and United States. Loved the details of what happened and loved the ending.
Alexander Stroli
Great Reading

Recommended for all who are not prejudiced and can face reality and want a safe and happy world free of prejudice and strife.
truenorth
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not quite a five. I wouldn't say it's the most entertaining book I've read, but I really enjoyed the Israeli history that was told in this book in an interesting way.
Dad
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to The Hope...covers the 6-day war and its aftermath.
Susan
1967-1977 Continuation of The Hope about the history of the Israeli battles
Anton
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved both parts of the book

So sad it is over, the characters really come too life and the book made me look up plenty of historical events too. I know there will not be a sequel, but it was sad to lose the connection with the heroes of this story...
Perry Whitford
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
In this sequel to Wouk's novel about the birth of Israel in 1948 to their defeat of the joint Arabic forces in the Six Day War in 1967, The Hope, the focus this time is largely on the extraordinary Yom Kippur War / Ramadan War of 1973, when the Israelies showed all their characteristic daring and resolve to rescue victory from the jaws of defeat against overwhelming odds.

Israel's sense of security lasts barely a matter of months after the Six Day War before the Egyptians once again tip the
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Slave
  • City of Clowns
  • The Tower Room
  • Watching the Roses
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Redemption
  • In The Clearing
  • Preservation
  • The Queen's Lady (Thornleigh, #1)
Herman Wouk was a bestselling, Pulitzer Prize-winning Jewish American author with a number of notable novels to his credit, including The Caine Mutiny, The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance.

Herman Wouk was born in New York City into a Jewish family that had emigrated from Russia. After a childhood and adolescence in the Bronx and a high school diploma from Townsend Harris High School, he

The Hope and the Glory (2 books)
  • The Hope (The Hope and the Glory, #1)
“screws on the cowlings. Only a divine miracle” 0 likes