Start by marking “Campaign Ruby” as Want to Read:
Campaign Ruby

Jessica Rudd

Campaign Ruby (Ruby #1)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  449 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Former workaholic investment banker, Ruby Stanhope is retrenched, hungover, holding a non-refundable ticket to Melbourne. She meets the Leader of the Opposition and is drafted to work on his election campaign. Dealing with a breakneck schedule, a hot journalist and a malfunctioning wardrobe, Ruby must do her best to win the election and find love.
Published June 18th 2014 by Text Publishing (first published August 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Campaign Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Campaign Ruby

Project
One has to wonder if this "novel" (it's more an autobiography) would have been published had it been written by someone other than the daughter of the then Prime Minister of Australia.[return]It's not a badly written book. It's just not glimmering with the sort of talent that you seem to need these days to get published. You or i could probably have written something as clever, given the time and the background.[return]And it is the background that makes this novel stand out. You get the occasio ...more
Sam Still Reading
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a better type of chicklit
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: interested in Kevin RUdd
Australians probably would have heard about this book recently as it’s scarily prophetic. Shafted prime minister’s daughter writes a book about an Australian prime minister being ousted from office by his female colleague who then calls a snap election- it all reflects our recent political climate. But is Jessica Rudd cashing in on her father’s name and fate?

No! Even though I am an ardent Kevin Rudd fan (geeks and academics can be prime minister…hope for us all, but that’s another story for anot
Susan
Jan 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Not my kind of thing. I should have known, when any politician starts talking my brain shuts off. Didn't like the British/Australian cross over... I felt the character Ruby was written like she was trying way too hard to be British and the Australian characters were way too Aussie. Don't want to be offensive to anyone and this is meant to be a light hearted jab but I think Jessica is very much like her father... His australianisms are out dated and over the top and don't suit him. "Fair shake of ...more
Jet
This was an enjoyable romp of a read. I've been a political junkie in a past life, so a got a lot of giggles out of Ruby's campaign trail shenanigans.

Ruby Stanhope is likable, sympathetic and horrifying in the same vein as Bridget Jones - a walking disaster whose competence and courage carry her through her frequent bouts of impulse and embarrassment.

The cast of characters were great fun; from Ruby's aunts the foul-mouthed lawyer and the elegant baker to Oscar the morally bankrupt but hot journa
Annelise
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take, putting the behind the scenes stuff of a political campaign into chick-lit but the book was so full of cliches and stereotypes. An accident-prone heroine, the designer label name-dropping, the manic/insane obsession with shoes, the good guy and the bad boy, etc. As for impressing the difference between British English and Australian English, enough already, stop trying so hard.

Also, I find it incredibly hard to swallow that an English investment banker could swan into a role as
Claire
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was disappointing. I am a big fan of chick lit, and there was a lot of hype around this. The story line was OK, but I thought I was re-reading a Sophie Kinsella with Australian overtones. I found much of the prose grating, too many "Australianisms" which were out dated or highly unlikely to have been used. Apart from the fact the the main character didn't really do or say anything spectacular to justify getting the job, or getting high praise. Sorry, won't be rushing out for the second.
Christina
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really have much of an idea of what this book was about when I started reading it, and it completely surprised and delighted me with how enchanting it is. I normally stay away from anything regarding politics, so when I found out that the main character, on a whim, joins an Australian political campaign, I was tempted to stop reading; I'm so glad I continued. This book is exceptionally witty, funny, interesting, and sweet. While the politics pervade every moment after the character land ...more
SusanC
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light fluffy read for when you are too busy to read anything more indepth but what something to take your mind off work or whatever ever else is taking up your brain power.

I mostly enjoyed the side characters. Not that I am saying I did not like the heroine of the story but they added colour.
Nicola
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice romp....
Karyn
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
could not put this book down. very different view of a spill and what it means to the global stage. lots of smiles and laughter.
Bree T
Ruby is an investment banker in London. When she gets an email from HR during the latest round of ‘corporate restructuring’ that advises her that her position has been made redundant and can she please return all work items on her way out thank you, she doesn’t take the news lying down. She types out a return email that goes viral in hours, goes home and gets tanked on a couple of bottles of the finest Australian pinot noir.

When she wakes up the next morning, Ruby discovers that she’s managed to
Fiona Caldarevic
I've been wanting to read this for a couple of years and *finally* got hold of a copy, only to devour it in all of two days.

Ruby lost her banking job in London, drunkenly booked herself on a flight to Australia, found herself at a cocktail do which turned out to be a political party fundraiser, and she impressed all the right people to land herself a role in the party's election campaign.

Forgetting that this was written by the daughter of the prime minister, who managed to write about the female
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Before I lost my job, got pickled on peanut noise, switched hemispheres ..’

‘.. and joined this travelling circus my life was a relatively straightforward one.’

Ruby Stanhope, 28 year old English investment banker, is fired by eMail. Using the same medium to respond, Ruby protests about her treatment in an eMail addressed to the bank’s board.

The next day, Ruby awakens with a hangover to discover that not only has her impromptu reply to the board gone viral and been published on both facebook and
Emma
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: female readers who are interested in politics
I think like a lot of people I was prompted to read Campaign Ruby given it was written by the former Prime Minister's daughter and spookily foreshadowed his downfall and the subsequent appointment of Australia's first female Prime Minister. This for me, I'm sorry to say, was the only thing that really interested me in the book.

Although I loved the opening chapter in which English shoe-lover and investment banker Ruby is notified by her redundancy via email and so responds with a terrific reply t
Michelle
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is written by a young Australian author who also happens to be the daughter of our previous Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. It was probably quite controversial when this book was published at the height of the political fireworks we were faced with all across Australia when our Parliament shifted with Kevin Rudd going out and our first female Prime Minister going in.

Above all when reading this book I found it was important to see Jessica the author as her own person and writer and not a parliame
Lisa
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia, c21st, 10review
You don’t have to be an election tragic to enjoy Jessica Rudd’s new book. It may be set in the drama of elections in Canberra, but it’s chick lit. Chick-lit for career women; for those with an interest in current affairs; and for anyone interested in what goes on behind the scenes, behind the 10-second news grab and behind the polished performances we see in the media. As the blurb tells us, it’s Bridget Jones on the campaign trail, and it’s as funny as Bridget Jones’s Diary is said to be.

I hav
Anita
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, the novel covers a political campaign. The obstacles/issues come one after another, which luckily stopped me from questioning some of the premises too much (like: who would employ someone for an important campaign role with no checking, and a foreigner at that?). Our main character nails most aspects of her new job, but messes up lesser things. This is to provide humour and so she doesn't seem too perfect, so she's "relateable". As a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, I ...more
Jess
This debut novel by former PM Kevin Rudd's daughter wasn't bad, really, although was certainly slightly creepy at how much of the 2010 spill made it in here. I don't know why she made Ruby English - her Englishness was quite annoying, actually, and all the Australians were so painfully ocker. There was an excessive use of the word "mate" by characters who didn't seem the type to use it. What was interesting was its political ambiguity; you get the sense that Ruby is working for ersatz Labor but ...more
Aaron Cornelius
Felt really run-of-the-mill. It's competently written but most of the plot threads don't offer any real surprises or excitement. If you're into Australian federal politics it's worth a read as there are characters which are very clearly written as parallels of major political figures (most notably, Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard), and the election campaign alluded to in the title plays out intriguingly like an alternate history, but the politics are really just a background to an unconvincing roma ...more
Meg
I'm usually first to put my hand up and declare my nil interest in politics so when I found myself wanting to pick up Campaign Ruby I thought I was unwell. I soon realised that I was happy to take the risk for Australian chick-lit, a genre I hadn't explored since reading Gemma Crisp's Be Careful What You Wish For (to a poor review). I was so curious about how well a former PM's daughter could write. Oh em gee. Jessica Rudd is hilarious. I'll admit I found the most part of the plot a bit painful ...more
Nadia
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Rudd's debut novel is somewhat lightweight chick lit set against the backdrop of Australian politics. I identified with the sense of humour injected into Ruby and the other characters. Whilst it was an easy read, I found it to be charming and enjoyable fun.

I did, however, have done qualms with the book. I felt that Ruby was too ditsy; I kept waiting for her to come good, but there weren't enough moments where she used her brain rather than her Louboutins to get out of a fix. Also, I felt
Katherine
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Ruby who loses her job, uses her email to make her feelings about this known and via a large amount of wine ends up with a ticket to Australia.

You can tell Jessica Rudd is from a family involved with politics as the details about the campaign are realistic although you do have get past the part which has a political party employing someone without checking out their background.

This book doesn't pretend to be anything other then Chick Lit and in this regard it is a good read.
Anna
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Look, I didn't hate it. I knew exactly what I was getting in for when I bought this novel for 50c at an op shop. It served its purpose well- and is now a bit worse for wear with sand in the spine and chlorinated water stains on its pages.
If I'd paid RRP for it, I'd use this space to warn future readers that this novel reads a lot like fan fiction- the type of too-good-to-be-true, straight from the material fantasies and minimal life experiences of the author type novel that is frustratingly lac
ChingyPingy
Most chick lit focuses on romance first - career is a distant second, if it features at all. This book bucked that trend, instead focusing on the protagonist's high powered job working on a hard fought prime ministerial campaign in Australia.

On the whole really enjoyable! The constant references to fashion labels were mildly irritating, but the story was gripping and the intricacies of the relationships between politicians, the media and the voting public were fascinating. Very nearly a 4 star
Maxine
Oh dear...what a disappointment. The book started out ok but got worse as I got into it. Chick lit at its very worst. They story line was just too whacky to believe. I mean who goes to a party and then gets a job offer the very next day working on an election campaign without supplying any evidence of previous work experience? Furthermore who would do such a job for the pittance she was paid? No ....just too silly for me. I gave up about halfway through. I think the author has potential and with ...more
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: addictive
I really liked this book. I admit I picked up this book because of who Jessica Rudd but when I actually started reading I was instantly addicted to it. From the first chapter I just couldn't put the book down.

It was well written and you could quite easily feel the emotions that the main characters are going through. Also the political side of the story gives an interesting look into the Australian political scene.

My favourite part was Ruby's response to her termination. Loved it, dealt with beau
Kelly
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable, very light entertainment. It's chic lit in a political world ... does it get any better?! I think not. I loved it being set in places I know so well - Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney. I couldn't but it down - started reading it on the plane in Melbourne and finished it 6 hours later as the plane taxied into Mackay airport. Recommended for my girlfriends looking for a fun, entertaining, easy read.
Gabrielle Trenbath
is a story of a political novice on her first election campaign. I must admit that I am not a great fan of the “Chick Lit” genre but I did find this book entertaining not only because it is about a favorite topic but it was fast paced enough to keep my interest. It was a little predictable at times (eg Ruby falling for juno who later turns out to be a rat) but on the whole it was great if you needed light reading or a distraction from everyday life.
Samantha
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially picked up this book because I really liked Jessica Rudd. I think her dad, Kevin, was the best person who ever ran this country.

I know nothing about politics, and this was a great book because not only did it give almost a beginners guide, it was also easy enough for me to follow and quite entertaining too.

I like Jessica's sense of humour, and meeting her in person last year was a real treat!
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian
Bit disappointed in this after all the glowing reviews. Ruby is made redundant from her banking job, so after a drunken evening coming to terms with her new status, finds that she has booked a flight to Australia. Upon arriving in the country, she goes to an evening fundraiser at a local winery and is offered a job as girl Friday with the leader of the opposition - as you do. The novel improves as it goes along, but is still a very light and not terribly satifsying piece of chick lit.
  • Stella Makes Good
  • Promises
  • The Secret Ingredient
  • The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
  • Zoe's Muster
  • Kinglake-350
  • Dead Heat (Goodabri #1)
  • Jilted