Start by marking “One World: A Global Anthology of Short Stories” as Want to Read:
One World: A Global Anthology of Short Stories

One World: A Global Anthology of Short Stories

This book is made up of twenty-three stories, each from a different author from across the globe. All belong to one world, united in their diversity and ethnicity. And together they have one aim: to involve and move the reader.

The range of authors takes in such literary greats as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Jhumpa Lahiri, and emerging authors such as Elaine Ch
Published May 1st 2009 by New Internationalist

To ask other readers questions about One World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One World

Realini
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Third and Final Continent by Jhumpa Lahiri

One thing I like about the stories of Jhumpa Lahiri is the frequent reference to India or in the case of When Mister Pirzada Came to Dinner – to Bangladesh.
This is a fascinating, if distant world.
When we say India, we think of a country, but the people in that single country are more numerous than Europe and North America put together. We must not think of a single culture, since there are a multitude of languages, habits and
Urenna Sander
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Leng Lui is for Pretty Lady, by Elaine Chiew, the character, Alina, received an English Lit degree from a university in Manila. Yet she works in Tokyo as a maid for the wealthy Kong’s. She is focused on supporting her family and returning home to Manila. The Kongs, parents of two children, are estranged in their household. When Mrs. Kong is not savoring White Russians, she’s having a torrid affair with the young man in the Chinese medicinal shop. Mr. Kong, a banker, chats with, slobbers, and ...more
Sobia Raja
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book! I learned so many different things from different people & cultures in different countries. I will never think about the countries/cultures in the same way I did before. I wish each of these stories could be made into novels - I've become so attached to the character's stories already that I want to keep reading on and on. But since I cannot do that, I'm going to re-read it!

I recommend this book to ANYONE(especially racists!). It's pure knowledge about the world we live in
Xarah
An interesting, and sometimes quite sad, collection of short stories written by a variety of authors and set throughout the world. All the stories provide a brief glimpse into another culture, another person’s experience. Sometimes these glances were gloomy and distressing, while other times they brought a smile to the face. Despite the heartrending aspect of some of the stories, I found all to be vivid and realistic.
Sanaa Hyder
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember not liking ‘The Namesake’ so much when I read it for an undergrad course. Something about the ethnic depictions didn’t settle well with me. But that was almost a decade ago. With this story, however, I found myself enjoying Lahiri’s writing and characters. Time is a funny thing.

This is a really sweet short story about a self-made man. The male protagonist is depicted flawlessly and convincingly. I dream of writing characterization like this.
Lindsay Ercanbrack
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-justice
Good resource for social justice unit. Will be using some of the stories in class, including “Homeless”.
Kathrin
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Great collection of short stories written my authors around the world. Lots of diversity of backgrounds and material.
Abeer Hoque
I picked up "One World" because a friend's short story was in it. Dominated by Nigerian stories (the editor is from there), it is described as a beautiful chaotic rendition of the human experience that transcends culture and border. It would fit this description better if there were more variety in theme. Many of the stories are tribal, ensconced in a particular and hemmed in context. That's fine in itself, because I like knowing a lot about a little place or thing, but I also found the stories ...more
Kirsty
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an anthology of short stories from writers around the world. The stories cover many topics and the aim is to capture the essence of the country they're writing about and to convey that essence to the reader.

It certainly captured me. I really enjoyed reading about the different cultures, traditions and ways of life of the people in the various countries. Each story was the perfect length and I really didn't want to put this down. It has definitely made me want to read more wor
duck reads
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-s, fiction
I grabbed this book from the library because it contained a story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, whose longer works (and solo anthology) I have recently devoured. It's an interesting collection of stories published through the New Internationalist (www.newint.org) dealing with a range of topics but largely focused on issues of poverty and inequality. Really good stuff: I enjoyed almost all of the stories, and will probably be seeking out other work by half of the a ...more
Cathy
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title suggests, this is a collection of short stories written by a great collection of authors from all of the place. Not only did I love the stories but I loved the fact that the royalties from the sale of the book were donated to Medecins Sans Frontier (MSF).
Vicki
On the one hand, it is a window into other cultures which I do not read about often enough. On the other hand, the quality of the stories varied quite widely and I wondered about the inclusion of a few of them.
Sequoia
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The website for the book is no longer active but any special inquiries can be directed to oneworldanthology@gmail.com if you can't find what you're looking for (usually contact info for specific authors for class projects etc.) on the web.
Lori Anderson
Oh my.

I picked up this book after being enthralled with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's book "The Thing Around Your Neck". This anthology of "world stories" is nothing short of ... READ IT.

There are 23 stories told by different authors from all around the world. Regardless of the subject matter, each story will leave something with you.

And JOY! I see there is another volume! Guess who's got that on her list!
Les
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't enjoy it and I'm confused why so many countries were overrepresented when there weren't that many stories. Maybe to give a "fuller" picture, but that's not possible in a few stories anyway. The writing is fine to good - just not my cup of tea. I didn't read them all, so may have missed an amazing one but what I did read didn't make that seem likely.
Karen Ng
A collection of short stories ( Some non fiction, some fictionby some big name female authors. However, I loved the first story, Leng Liu by Malaysian author Elaine Chiew- an amazing find and read.
Now I have a women's fiction anthology to recommend to my friends that won't disappoint.
Cornelius
Apr 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed bag in my opinion. I enjoyed the variety of topics and styles and reading authors I’d never heard about. And I admire Jhumpa Lahiri‘s contribution ‘The Third and Final Continent’.
Liz
2019 Catch Up Challenge: Library book
Gabrielle Carolina
3.5

Read for class.
Nathalie Franssen
very good short stories. I am going to use some of these in my class :-)
Barbara
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Review will follow...
Jenny
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story collection features authors primarily from Africa and Asia, and reads almost like a cultural anthropology reader. It's not quite as good as collections by Indian novelist Jhumpa Lahiri, but I loved reading about characters set in the midst of their countries, and discovering their daily lives and thoughts.

These characters live in such stark different environments yet their emotions are strikingly relatable. One theme that disturbed me was cross-cultural sexism. It's
Priscilla Herrington
One World is a collection of 23 short stories by authors from around the world, predominantly from Africa and Southeast Asia.

I discovered this book while searching for work by Jhumpa Lahiri, who is one of the contributors. While I have read a number of Indian authors, I am less familiar with African writers. This collection introduced me to number of authors from Nigeria, Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe to name a few.

While nothing will take the place of actually living in anothe
Bekah Ward
I'm not really a short story person, because it's so easy for them to go wrong- to much backstory, not enough, no climax etc.

But I really enjoyed this collection of stories. I liked how the authors were from all over the world, and there was a massive range of stories. I learnt a lot about the conditions people around the world survive under. The book was a messy collection of humans and how far they will go to survive and protect their families/friends.

I loved the final story the most, and th
Dorothee Lang
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"One World" is both a collection of short stories, and a literary-political initiative. The book features twenty-three stories, each from a different author from across the globe. It includes both well-known and upcoming authors from different backgrounds, and is an excellent read, with uncountable layers of life included - it's a richness of human experience woven into stories....

..this is from a longer review that also includes a global statistic and a video: http://virtual-notes.blogspot.de/2014...
James
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, short-story
Some enjoyable stories but an oddly assembled ‘global’ anthology. Twelve of the 23 stories originate from Africa, and all 12 are from south of the Sahara, six alone from Nigerian writers. No stories are from Central or South America. That said, I particularly liked Henrietta Rose-Innes’s, ‘Porcelain’ (South Africa) ; Chika Unigwe’s, ‘Growing My Hair Again’ (Nigeria); Sequoia Nagamatsu’s ‘Melancholy Nights in a Tokyo Cyber Cafe’ (USA); and Petina Gappah’s, ‘Before Tonde, After Tonde’ (Zimbabwe).
Magda
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book was not my cup of tea. Not sure whether this is because of its content or whether short stories are just not my thing. Indeed this was my first book of short stories - I found it rather difficult to engage in. Most stories would frequently use italicised foreign words, which is something I particularly dislike in literature, although I appreciate its purpose. I will give it another go in future as reviews of others are making me think I am missing something obvious... Hope you enjoy it ...more
Troy
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the short story, and wanted to get away from the America-centricity of most other collections. This was pretty great as an antidote. With stories from various African nations, Australia, and smatterings from other places, this spoke to the diversity of culture, but the universality of a good story. Highly recommended, and it will give you a few authors for you to check out later, if you haven't already.
Kimmie Larsen
I read this anthology as an assignment for my creative writing class. While I really liked the concept of including stories and writers from around the world. Many of the stories in this collection did not cut if for me. I had high hopes knowing that Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was a contributer, but her story, along with a few others, were the only ones worth reading for me.
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this collection. Each story, although just a few pages, gives a glimpse into another culture or a clash/mesh between cultures. There are stories from authors from around the world. Each was interesting, well-written and thought-provoking. I recommend this book.
Bonner Springs Li...: One World: A Global Anthology of Short Stories 1 2 May 23, 2019 02:56PM

• The Granta Book of the African Short Story
  • The Tiger Claw
  • Imitation
  • The Devil in America
  • Unlucky Lucky Days
  • Mango Elephants in the Sun: How Life in an African Village Let Me Be in My Skin
  • Pieces of a Rainbow
  • Where the Dog Star Never Glows
  • Here We Are in Paradise: Stories
  • Swimming in the Monsoon Sea
  • The Salt Roads
  • Prom and Other Hazards
“I need to work so I can find a home but then they tell you that you need a home to get work. What kind of system is that?” 0 likes