Start by marking “Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps” as Want to Read:
Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps

Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps

Anne-Marie Faiola provides 31 easy-to-follow recipes for crafting a variety of bar soaps with great color, shape, and texture.
Published August 13th 2013 by Storey Publishing

Start your review of Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps
Laurie Carlson
This book spiral-bound book is FULL of gorgeous, colorful soaps YOU can make all on your own with these very descriptive instructions this author has included in this book for us! Dont worry! The author has made these step-by-step directions so easy to follow!
These hand-crafted soaps are SO beautiful, and shortly now, YOU can be making them, and showing them off! Or, maybe you could even give them as gifts, too! You are going to have people oooh'ing, and ahhh'ing you over the beauty of these
Patti
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. As a new soaper, I didn't realize at first it is for cold process soaps, but this gives me something to shoot for. All the soaps are beautifully photographed and the recipes are spot on. The author really does a great job at explaining the process, step by step instructions and constantly preaches caution and using protective gear--especially when using lye.

I enjoy her video's posted on YouTube and this book is a great companion to many of them. I wouldn't
Laurie Carlson
This book is FULL of gorgeous looking, colorful soaps YOU can make all on your own with these very descriptive instructions this author has included in this book for us! Dont worry! The author has made these step-by-step directions so easy to follow!
These hand-crafted soaps are SO beautiful, and shortly now, YOU can be making them, and showing them off! Or, maybe you could even give them as gifts, too! You are going to have people trying to friend you from everywhere once they see these
Bridgett
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just recently got this book for review from the publisher!

I have always been interested in making soap. I have done the melt and pour thing a few times, but have been a bit chicken to try the Lye thing.

This book came in the house, just as I am going through one of my "I should just go for it" phases! is that ever the right time, or what?

Tentatively I started reading. The beginning of the book is all about what you need in the way of equipment.
At first I thought: Oh, that's a lot!, but then I
Natasha
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Years ago - before I knitted, before I designed, before I taught fiber arts, before weaving and spinning and dying, back when I did other crafts that didn't involve yarn, crafts like scrapbooking and latch hook and embroidery and cross stitching, I made homemade soap. I didn't make a ton of it, but I made soap, and it was fun.

When this book popped up on netgalley, I remembered how much fun it was to make soap. I didn't make anything fancy or honestly anything that even looked pretty, but it was
Rebecca
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crafters
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
This is a really great book, first batch of soap turned out perfectly. We skipped over the fancy-pants parts, not using colors and only vanilla fragrance, not swirling, just making a good batch of soap.

I love how it lays flat, has lots of pix and easy to follow instructions.

I do wish she had more basic soaps, as nearly everything in the book is very fancy-pants requiring extra skills, extra equipment, and extra purchases from her business (Brambleberry.com) but still, one can skip those bits
Norma
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally loved this book. If you love making soap this book is a must have. It has great tips and techniques with colors and swirls. The book is filled with great colorful pictures and is as very detailed.
Katie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: soap-making
This is ideal for the beginner who needs visuals as a guide. This book also contains some helpful information for the beginner who needs suggestions, such as if to use food dye or herbs for the soap color for example.
MJ
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy, soap
Enjoyed the pictures. More attention given to making artful, beautiful loking soap than to the soap itself. I usually make 8lb batches, augthor Faiola "The Soap Queen" demonstrated her craft on making about 8 bars. Too fussy for me, but did I say already beautiful looking soap?.
Dana
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my review of
Jessica
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Storey Publishing!

Review coming soon!
Jojo
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned
A great reference book for the soap minded maker.
Handcrafted Librarian
This is my absolute favorite soap crafting book! I got started with soap crafting the easy way, through purchased soap block (from craft stores) that you melt, add your scents to, and pour into molds. From this I wanted to transition to from scratch soap making and this book is the easiest and best one that I've ever used. It's easy to follow instructions, great pictures and thorough break-down of the parts and pieces make it a wonderful addition to the soap crafters book collection.
WickedStorme
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative

I liked how the book explained and instructed you on how to make soap, especially with Including the picturesof how the finished product would look. Also, liked that they give you resources to follow up with, so that you can farther understand and learn how to make soap of your own. Very happy with this book and its resources!!😊
Rose
A beautiful instruction book for making your own soap. Anne-Marie Faiola, of Soap Queen fame, is a immensely talented artisan who mas chosen to share her talents and experiences via Blog, Storefront and Books (Her newer edition was released in 2016). If you are interested in creating soap or perfecting your soaping, her valuable information is a must.
Carrie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciate the author's attention to detail, such as appropriate ingredients. Other author's commonly recommend things such as fabric dye for colorants, whereas this author is careful to recommend only ingredients approved for use in cosmetics. Clear instructions, including the properties of different oils, made my initial batch a success.
Harmony T.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview for learning cold process soapmaking. I wish more of the recipes were palm free or at least there was more discussion about tweaking recipes by substituting oils. Lots of photos of the soapmaking process which was very helpful.
Renee Gordon
A good book for those beginning to dabble in CP soap. Image heavy and spiral bound.
Vannessa Anderson
The best book Ive read on soap making. Im buying a copy for my home library. ...more
Christie’s Books
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Very educational!

This book is a great read for beginners at making soap. I would recommend this book to others for sure!
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
a book to come back to if wanting to work on different colour combinations and techniques for soap making.
Veronica Smyth
Informative
Cheeyee
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review At: Moments to Share

Review Date: 10 August 2013

Review URL: http://littlemermy.blogspot.com/2013/08/soap-crafting-step-by-step-techniques.html

Summary: -

My very first experience on handmade soap making was about 1 year ago. I got to know few mothers who shared with us on this beautiful art and since then, I have fallen in love with it. For a person who used to bake regularly, soap making to me is just as fun as baking. I can decide what kind of soap that I want to make, what shape, what
p roper
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Easy to read. I don't plan to follow any of the recipes because I have my own that I really like and am comfortable with that fit my molds but the reason I wanted this book was for the ideas, anyway. I've been making soap for nearly twenty years and I figured it was time to make things more interesting. I used the idea for one of the soaps just yesterday and although it's still in the mold, it looks very promising. I will be using other ideas in the future.
Yvonne Thompson
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the section on oils, where the properties of the different oils are explained. However, because there are so many different oils that can be used, these descriptions were just a small selection.

I will definitely be experimenting with some of these recipes, not necessarily the colorants, but the additives intrigue me.
Laura Gilfillan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
What a terrific soap book. So many great ideas, many of which are a great springboard for coming up with one's own great ideas. I also like the up to date format, and current resources that are now available, and the formulas for smaller batches of soap. I love to make soap, but in such large batches I'm left with the problem of what to do with all the soap, because I want to do another batch.
Phyllis
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, soap
Although I am not well-versed in soap-crafting books, I truly enjoyed this one. From an aesthetic perspective, each soap recipe is well-laid out with lots of pictures and helpful safety tips. Ms. Faiola displays a number of different techniques that are excellent for a beginner such as myself. One of my favorites was the lovely clay bar, which I still haven't used because it's so pretty!
Sherry
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-2015
A very thorough book on cold process soap making. Explanation and soap recipes were very well setup so that they were easy to understand. Photos were clear and visually appealing. Will be making 29 of the 31 recipes in this book (they're that.good.) and will be using this as a guide for numerous soap projects.
Kathryn Fanestiel
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book for people, like myself, who are beginners to the soap making process. The first book I read was The Soap Maker's Companion, by Susan Miller Cavitch. I definitely prefer this book to that one, due to its full color pictures and much broader discussion of using color and fragrance to create a very diverse range of soap.
Leslie
Great detail for beginners and great designs for beginning soapers or those who have been making soap for a while but want to try some new techniques. I also love Anne-Marie Faiola's website and have learned so much from it.

• Milk Soapmaking: The Smart Guide to Making Milk Soap from Cow Milk, Goat Milk, Buttermilk, Cream, Coconut Milk, or Any Other Animal or Plant Milk
  • Simple & Natural Soapmaking: Create 100% Pure and Beautiful Soaps with The Nerdy Farm Wife’s Easy Recipes and Techniques
  • The Everything Soapmaking Book: Recipes and Techniques for Creating Colorful and Fragrant Soaps
  • Smart Lotionmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Luxurious Lotions, or How to Make Lotion That's Better Than You Buy and Costs You Less
  • Air fryer Cookbook: 550 Easy and Delicious Air Fryer Recipes For Fast and Healthy Meals (with Nutrition Facts)
  • At Death's Door (Deadman's Cross, #3)
  • Farmer in the Dead (A Chelsea Lawson Cozy Mystery #2)
  • Mooved to Murder (A Chelsea Lawson Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Vengeance Road (Torpedo Ink #2)
  • The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • Teacher's Planner (Lesson Planner)
  • The 3 A.M. Epiphany