Start by marking “Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps” as Want to Read:
Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps

Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps

Anne-Marie Faiola provides 31 easy-to-follow recipes for crafting a variety of bar soaps with great color, shape, and texture.
Published August 13th 2013 by Storey Publishing

Laurie Carlson
This book spiral-bound book is FULL of gorgeous, colorful soaps YOU can make all on your own with these very descriptive instructions this author has included in this book for us! Don’t worry! The author has made these step-by-step directions so easy to follow!
These hand-crafted soaps are SO beautiful, and shortly now, YOU can be making them, and showing them off! Or, maybe you could even give them as gifts, too! You are going to have people oooh'ing, and ahhh'ing you over the beauty of these b
Patti
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. As a new soaper, I didn't realize at first it is for cold process soaps, but this gives me something to shoot for. All the soaps are beautifully photographed and the recipes are spot on. The author really does a great job at explaining the process, step by step instructions and constantly preaches caution and using protective gear--especially when using lye.

I enjoy her video's posted on YouTube and this book is a great companion to many of them. I wouldn't hesitat
Laurie Carlson
This book is FULL of gorgeous looking, colorful soaps YOU can make all on your own with these very descriptive instructions this author has included in this book for us! Don’t worry! The author has made these step-by-step directions so easy to follow!
These hand-crafted soaps are SO beautiful, and shortly now, YOU can be making them, and showing them off! Or, maybe you could even give them as gifts, too! You are going to have people trying to friend you from everywhere once they see these gorgeo
Bridgett
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just recently got this book for review from the publisher!

I have always been interested in making soap. I have done the melt and pour thing a few times, but have been a bit chicken to try the Lye thing.

This book came in the house, just as I am going through one of my "I should just go for it" phases! is that ever the right time, or what?

Tentatively I started reading. The beginning of the book is all about what you need in the way of equipment.
At first I thought: Oh, that's a lot!, but then I t
Anastacia
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Years ago - before I knitted, before I designed, before I taught fiber arts, before weaving and spinning and dying, back when I did other crafts that didn't involve yarn, crafts like scrapbooking and latch hook and embroidery and cross stitching, I made homemade soap. I didn't make a ton of it, but I made soap, and it was fun.

When this book popped up on netgalley, I remembered how much fun it was to make soap. I didn't make anything fancy or honestly anything that even looked pretty, but it was
Rebecca
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crafters
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
This is a really great book, first batch of soap turned out perfectly. We skipped over the fancy-pants parts, not using colors and only vanilla fragrance, not swirling, just making a good batch of soap.

I love how it lays flat, has lots of pix and easy to follow instructions.

I do wish she had more basic soaps, as nearly everything in the book is very fancy-pants requiring extra skills, extra equipment, and extra purchases from her business (Brambleberry.com) but still, one can skip those bits i
Norma
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally loved this book. If you love making soap this book is a must have. It has great tips and techniques with colors and swirls. The book is filled with great colorful pictures and is as very detailed.
Katie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: soap-making
This is ideal for the beginner who needs visuals as a guide. This book also contains some helpful information for the beginner who needs suggestions, such as if to use food dye or herbs for the soap color for example.
MJ
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy, soap
Enjoyed the pictures. More attention given to making artful, beautiful loking soap than to the soap itself. I usually make 8lb batches, augthor Faiola "The Soap Queen" demonstrated her craft on making about 8 bars. Too fussy for me, but did I say already beautiful looking soap?.
Dana
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my review of
Jessica
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Storey Publishing!

Review coming soon!
Jojo
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned
A great reference book for the soap minded maker.
WickedStorme
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative

I liked how the book explained and instructed you on how to make soap, especially with Including the picturesof how the finished product would look. Also, liked that they give you resources to follow up with, so that you can farther understand and learn how to make soap of your own. Very happy with this book and it’s resources!!😊
Rose
A beautiful instruction book for making your own soap. Anne-Marie Faiola, of Soap Queen fame, is a immensely talented artisan who mas chosen to share her talents and experiences via Blog, Storefront and Books (Her newer edition was released in 2016). If you are interested in creating soap or perfecting your soaping, her valuable information is a must.
Carrie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciate the author's attention to detail, such as appropriate ingredients. Other author's commonly recommend things such as fabric dye for colorants, whereas this author is careful to recommend only ingredients approved for use in cosmetics. Clear instructions, including the properties of different oils, made my initial batch a success.
Harmony T.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview for learning cold process soapmaking. I wish more of the recipes were palm free or at least there was more discussion about tweaking recipes by substituting oils. Lots of photos of the soapmaking process which was very helpful.
Renee Gordon
A good book for those beginning to dabble in CP soap. Image heavy and spiral bound.
Christie’s Books
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Very educational!

This book is a great read for beginners at making soap. I would recommend this book to others for sure!
Vannessa Anderson
The best book I’ve read on soap making. I’m buying a copy for my home library.
Veronica Smyth
Informative
Cheeyee
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review At: Moments to Share

Review Date: 10 August 2013

Review URL: http://littlemermy.blogspot.com/2013/08/soap-crafting-step-by-step-techniques.html

Summary: -

My very first experience on handmade soap making was about 1 year ago. I got to know few mothers who shared with us on this beautiful art and since then, I have fallen in love with it. For a person who used to bake regularly, soap making to me is just as fun as baking. I can decide what kind of soap that I want to make, what shape, what kin
p roper
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Easy to read. I don't plan to follow any of the recipes because I have my own that I really like and am comfortable with that fit my molds but the reason I wanted this book was for the ideas, anyway. I've been making soap for nearly twenty years and I figured it was time to make things more interesting. I used the idea for one of the soaps just yesterday and although it's still in the mold, it looks very promising. I will be using other ideas in the future.
Yvonne Thompson
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the section on oils, where the properties of the different oils are explained. However, because there are so many different oils that can be used, these descriptions were just a small selection.

I will definitely be experimenting with some of these recipes, not necessarily the colorants, but the additives intrigue me.
Laura Gilfillan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
What a terrific soap book. So many great ideas, many of which are a great springboard for coming up with one's own great ideas. I also like the up to date format, and current resources that are now available, and the formulas for smaller batches of soap. I love to make soap, but in such large batches I'm left with the problem of what to do with all the soap, because I want to do another batch.
Phyllis
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, soap
Although I am not well-versed in soap-crafting books, I truly enjoyed this one. From an aesthetic perspective, each soap recipe is well-laid out with lots of pictures and helpful safety tips. Ms. Faiola displays a number of different techniques that are excellent for a beginner such as myself. One of my favorites was the lovely clay bar, which I still haven't used because it's so pretty!
Sherry
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-2015
A very thorough book on cold process soap making. Explanation and soap recipes were very well setup so that they were easy to understand. Photos were clear and visually appealing. Will be making 29 of the 31 recipes in this book (they're that.good.) and will be using this as a guide for numerous soap projects.
Kathryn Fanestiel
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book for people, like myself, who are beginners to the soap making process. The first book I read was The Soap Maker's Companion, by Susan Miller Cavitch. I definitely prefer this book to that one, due to its full color pictures and much broader discussion of using color and fragrance to create a very diverse range of soap.
Avery Anders
It was a very good book, but the recipes have way too many ingredients if you plan on making these on a whim over the weekend. You will have to plan ahead and order most of the ingredients on the internet.
Leslie
Great detail for beginners and great designs for beginning soapers or those who have been making soap for a while but want to try some new techniques. I also love Anne-Marie Faiola's website and have learned so much from it.
Jennifer Rummel
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little out of my league when it comes to making soaps, but they look amazing and there's some great ideas here.

• Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably, or How to Make Luxurious Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself
  • Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started
  • EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, Rinses, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends
  • Quilting with a Modern Slant: People, Patterns, and Techniques Inspiring the Modern Quilt Community
  • The Everything Soapmaking Book: Recipes and Techniques for Creating Colorful and Fragrant Soaps
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques  Know-How
  • Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join in
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Save Me (O'Brien Family, #5)
  • Meditations Through Coloring
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-By-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Making Natural Liquid Soaps: Herbal Shower Gels, Conditioning Shampoos,  Moisturizing Hand Soaps, Luxurious Bubble Baths, and more
  • Carnival of Feltmaking: Easy Techniques and 26 Colorful Projects for You and Your Home
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • Eco Craft: Recycle Recraft Restyle
  • Around the Corner Crochet Borders: 150 Colorful, Creative Edging Designs with Charts and Instructions for Turning the Corner Perfectly Every Time