Start by marking “In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)” as Want to Read:
In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)

In the Earth Abides the Flame

(Fire of Heaven #2)

Battered and bruised, suffering grievous loss, the company enters the great city of Instruere. They have to warn the Council of Faltha of the Destroyer's threat, and have no idea of the depth of treachery that awaits them.
Published December 1st 2006 by Orbit (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about In the Earth Abides the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Earth Abides the Flame

Start your review of In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
Lindsay
“In the Earth Abides the Flame” was definitley better than the first. The plot was thick enough that it distracted from the lack of character building. Still I fought with the randomness that Kirkpatrick assigns his character back-stories. Just when you think you are getting to know a character, the scene switches and he begins to delve into another characters life.

The story compelled me enough to carry on with the third and final book. This being said, I will most likely avoid this author’s
Brian Hagedorn
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just like the first book, the maps are incredible. Unfortunately, the rest of book isn't--just like the first book.

Much of this story is like the garbled mess of a first draft or something crunched out during NaNoWriMo. The book can never decide whether it should be omniscient or limited omniscient in its viewpoint, bouncing between the two for no reason whatsoever. More annoyingly, the characters act in a very decidedly melodramatic fashion, and often bouncing from one emotion to the next. The
Attila
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The travelling party arrives at the capital city to tell the Council about the Bhrudwan invasion, but the Destroyer's minions have already infiltrated the capital, so the warnings are not heeded. Some of the good guys decide to travel to a remote location to recover the Arrow of Flame, an old relic that may aid them against the enemy.

I found this more original and intense than the first book, and I can say I liked it. The final scenes and revelations were great.
Книжни Криле
Ревюто на втората част от епичната фентъзи сага „Небесен огън“ на Ръсел Къркпатрик май се позабави, но това е защото имах нужда да понаваксам с първата част, чието ревю е дело на колегата Книголет. Той с право сравнява „През лицето на света“ със стилистиката на Толкин, а аз като негов заклет фен реших да се убедя в тези думи. А след прочита на книгата вече нямаше никакво съмнение, че веднага продължавам с „В земята пламък се крие” (изд. MBG Books). Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
c2004. Second in the Fire of Heavens trilogy. The second book did not disappoint but ended somewhat abruptly for my taste. I know that the third book is out but if it had not been, I would have felt really cheated. It always seems to me to be publishers greed that breaks up these books sometimes or the editors of said publishing houses encouraging the authors to adopt this behaviour. Having finished the rant, the Company's next set of travails were just as good as in the first although I felt if ...more
Douglas
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who read the first or are just in a hurry and skipped the first, arrow enthusiasts
The second book of this series continues in about the same vein of the first, but at least they are out of medieval Canada now. This being a trilogy, our protagonists' long struggles and hardships are meet with even more struggles and hardships as they come to terms with what is happening to the world and what they are called to do.

Perhaps the strongest parts of this part of the story, at least for me, is the growing realization of who the Most High is and what he requires of the travelers and
Peter Smith
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book in this series, and picks up immediately after the 1st left off. The group is divided and the main character sets off to recover an artifact with which to .... well we actually don't know what purpose it will serve yet, be it talisman of power, or just a rallying point.

All in all the story is good, and there is a revelation, of sorts, at the end as to what the quest is. Oddly though, after 600+ paperback pages, I really can't see what took so many to accomplish, except as in
Rachel
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I suspect that I am never going to be a fan of Mr Kirkpatrick's so-called "epic" trilogy, mostly down to the fact that, for a doorstop of a book, it's very low on plot and characterization, concentrating instead on ramming huge amounts of preaching and religious fervour down the reader's throat. The Hermit, in particular, seems to have no other purpose other than to be held up as an example of how Hal's preaching is right, whereas everybody else is wrong.
Characterization is also not a strong
Mick
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is book two of the Fire of Heaven series by Russell Kirkpatrick and continues the wonderful tale. This time around the battle is no longer against the elements but now it mostly against evil rot by other characters. For this reason it is also darker than book one. The pacing is quicker and more interesting characters are brought into the mix. My one complaint is a minor one. There is no natural end like in the first book, here the ending is a cliff-hanger. Make sure you have book 3 on hand. ...more
Felicity
May 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
My mother gave me this series of books to read. There are a lot of descriptive battle scenes and an underlying religious message. Most books take me about a 3 days (if not busy) to a week to read. Each one of these took me a month. It was good enough to keep reading but it didn't hold my attention for long periods of time. I like to be swept away by fiction. Unfortunately that did not happen with these books.
Jeff
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It took me 2 times to make it through this book, but in the end i turned out to enjoy it. Yeah, it has all the familiar fantasy elements, and at times the characterizations could be better. But, the world is deep and well thought-out. If you want sorta a throwback quest fantasy and mindless fun, you would probably enjoy this book. more thoughts here
Aisha Mahmoud
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sue
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it
It was better than the first one. I usually get all three books of a trilogy at the same time (even though I get burned sometimes), and I was glad that this book was better than the first. I'm just starting the third book now, and I'll weigh in on the entire trilogy there. Oh, and I wouldn't put this series on the same level as LOTR.
Daniel Taylor
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I fell in love with the characters and the stories in the first book of this trilogy, but then the poor author got caught on the publisher production line and had to produce this sequel in twelve months. He lacked the chance to develop as an author and refine the manuscript to the same standard as the first, flawless, book.
Shay
Aug 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
The religious overtones make the book seem familiar though not quite predictable. The plot is paced better than the first in the series, but still drags at times. And the ending was utterly random, as if Kilpatrick decided to just stop writing to save something for the trilogy.
Connor Ferguson
This book does a great job of continuing the adventure, as well as introducing new allies and adversaries. This also puts a great interpretation on religion and colonialism, which is saying a lot from me, since I'm generally unwilling to accept God in any form.
Lbd
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
book 2 of a trilogy. good character development and scene setting. A real page turner if you like suspense built into the story that really isn't a suspense-type story. reads right up there with Feist, Eddings and Goodkind
Greg
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Builds on the previous book well, developing the story and fleshing out the characters and plot. I like that the characters seem not quite stereotypical in that they are morphing in ways you might not expect...
John
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Incredible epic fantasy that will make you feel like your on the journey. The story plot was very intriguing, the twists and turns took time to develop, however, your perseverance will reward you greatly.
BQ
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orbit,fall07
Maria
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
He is getting better. The character development certainly helped. The story is intriguing, and the character react very honestly to the fantastical situuations they are faced with. I like it!
Dani
Nov 26, 2009 marked it as to-read
Guess it's about time I picked up this book again. Discovered I only made it 5 pages in as well. Oh goody have to read it right from the beginning.
Fred
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Amazing classic fantasy. Follows the stereotypical formula for success in the fantasy genre so if you aren't in the mood for that beware . . .
Brett
Dec 13, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy
Todd
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
THis one had some pretty good action in it. I'd recommend this one to a few people.

• On Trails: An Exploration
  • Wild Animus
  • Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment
  • The Wolf in the Parlor: The Eternal Connection Between Humans and Dogs
  • Letters from the Earth: Uncensored Writings
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
  • The Dharma Bums
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The Revenant
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
Russell Kirkpatrick was born in 1961 in Christchurch, New Zealand, where he lived until 2000. He is a geography PhD graduate of the University of Canterbury, and currently lectures at the University of Waikato in Hamilton. During the 1990s he was fortunate enough to work on two major atlas projects, as Deputy Editor of the New Zealand Historical Atlas (Readers Choice winner, Montana Book Awards, ...more

Fire of Heaven (3 books)
  • Across the Face of the World (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • The Right Hand of God (Fire of Heaven, #3)