Start by marking “Go to the Room of the Eyes” as Want to Read:
Go to the Room of the Eyes

Go to the Room of the Eyes

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A family moves into a big Victorian house and discovers clues to a treasure hunt.
Published 1969 by Little Brown & Co.

To ask other readers questions about Go to the Room of the Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to the Room of the Eyes

Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susann by: Laurie A-B
Laurie lent this to me, in preparation for my trip to Seattle. The book is good and odd. It's told in the first person plural, to represent the six kids in the family. There's a mystery to be solved, but the story is really about heterogenous city-living. These 1969 suburban kids move to Seattle and almost casually encounter school integration, stolen bikes, gangs in the Park, a home intruder and a somewhat shell-shocked Vietnam vet. The undercover cop disguised as a female nurse was a favorite ...more
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
I loved this book as a child, even more since I knew the area. Reading it aloud as an adult so many bits seemed true to real life, especially at that time. Some things are discussed in a way that they would not be if written about now, but the story is just as strong as ever, a real-life adventure that kids still love.
We wished the author had written more books like this, but apparently she was busy with her six children and big old house (just like in the book) and her job as a physician (!).
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melody by: Wendy Burton
This book made me late to ALA Midwinter. Where they give away lots and lots of free books.

I loved the Capitol Hill setting, especially because I was in Capitol Hill while I was reading it. I didn't find the house which is perhaps lucky because I would have felt compelled to ring the doorbell and demand that the current residents read this. I would possibly have demanded a tour as well.

The plot follows a satisfying arc as a large family of interesting kids moves into an old house and finds a tra
Mar 10, 2008 added it
Elizabeth Kuzina mentioned this book on maud-l, and when I looked into it further I discovered the setting was right down my street. Wendy and I found the house where the book takes place (former home of the author) and I was able to meet the author's daughter, who still lives in Seattle (Dinky in the book).
Oh, it's a good book, too.
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Spooky, clever, funny, and surreal. Contains some interesting views of politics of the late 1960s (discusses desegregation, gentrification, Vietnam PTSD). Intriguingly different, yet comfortably familiar.
In the 1960s, the Evans family moves into the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle, into a big old house very different than the tame suburbian bungalows they’re used to. Nothing is what they’re used to; the diversity in the schools, the market, and everywhere else tells them that. They struggle to adjust to school and making friends. Then Susan finds an old treasure hunt clue reading “Go to the Room of the Eyes,” that sets them on a hunt set up by the kids who used to live in the house. What’s ...more
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
A mystery/adventure story set in Seattle. Written in 1969 some of it is pretty dated (the parts about the African-American girl bused into the kids school are cringe-worthy today) and parts of it are pretty unbelievable, but I really liked the Seattle location and it was a nice slice-of-life book from 40 years ago.
Aug 31, 2015
Jan 15, 2018
Feb 21, 2014
Feb 27, 2013
Oct 10, 2016
Betty Erwin successfully combined the careers of author, physician and housewife. A graduate of the medical school of the University of Wisconsin, she practiced anesthesiology, first in Wisconsin and then in Seattle when her husband got a job as a mathemetician at the Boeing Company. The Erwins and their six children lived in a large house in an older section of Seattle.
More about Betty K. Erwin...
“It was one of those years when there was no summer. There was no winter either. It was just November all year that year.” 3 likes