Start by marking “Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A new history in the words of the men and women who survived” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Forgotten Voices of Th...

Lyn Smith

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  781 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Following the success of "Forgotten Voices of the Great War, "Lyn Smith visits the oral accounts preserved in the Imperial War Museum Sound Archive, to reveal the sheer complexity and horror of one of human history's darkest hours.

The great majority of Holocaust survivors suffered considerable physical and psychological wounds, yet the even in this dark time of human histo
Published September 15th 2010 by Ebury Digital (first published October 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust

Tony
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, ww2
This excellent introduction to the holocaust is comprised almost entirely of first hand accounts. Organised thematically, each section has only a very short introduction from the author, so there is little to distract you from the horror and sadness these people experienced.
Adam
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have NOT yet read this book. I've only just 'dipped' into it.

So, this is a sort of PREview rather than a true review.

I knew one of the contributors or 'voices', the late Kurt Klappholz.

He was a friend of our family and one of my father's colleagues. In summer when his shirt sleeves were rolled up or when we were on holiday with him, I remember, as a child, seeing the number tattooed in blue (the 7s were the European form with horizontal lines through the diagonals , as in 7), on his forearm. I
Al Bità
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of this work might put some people off. Don't let it. Read it.

Lyn Smith has done a wonderful job of editing over 100 contributors (one could call them 'survivors') of the Holocaust over the period 1933–1945. These very personal stories are simply told, each person trying to come to grips with what happened to them during this terrible period. The stories are split and presented in chronological order, with very fine introductions to provide a general background to each section. Ultimat
Beth
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the more daunting books that I have read. It is filled with unbelievable heartbreak and unimaginable human kindness all at the same time. The courage of the people who survived this dark time in our history are the real heroes of thier generation, we should celebrate their courage, bravery and sheer determination to survive.
Tim
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of a series of books instigated by the Imperial War Museum. Made up from recordings of people who took part in the events. Some are to do with those in action, others who experienced the war from other locations such as London in the Blitz.
If I find a book particularly engrossing I will often read large sections at a time, sometimes the entire book at a sitting.
This one is different.
Many books of this genre are written by an author who has researched the history, visited locations, i
Michael Topley
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I personally believe everyone should be made to read a book like this so they can read first hand of the atrocities the Nazis inflicted on those during the Holocaust. Very powerful and moving stories from the people that were there and thankfully survived, as we all know that millions and millions didn't.
Heather Hyde
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A factual account of the holocaust from the people who survived. It's hard to read but compelling at the same time despite the subject matter.
Emily
May 09, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book has brought tears to my eyes multiple times because of the first hand accounts of those that have lived through the horrific times. having been reading this as a generation that cannot fathom the "why's, how's, or who's" puts into persepctive the feeling that those who actually lived it, had much bigger questions and much more to address than we could even begin to think about.
the writing style was initially hard to adjust to; keeping track of who was who and what story went with whic
Jen
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holocaust
If you are interested in the subject matter, then this is a must. The forgotten voices are not only the victims but also some of those who stood by and watched and then those who stood by and helped. So many emotions touched that I struggle to review this except to say it was a harsh read but necessary.
Sasha Heath
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic collection of short accounts straight from those who were there - from German Jews to Polish Jews to a Lithuanian Policeman (and many more). Very upsetting and a very poignant read that will shock most. A brilliant collection that is a must-read.
Jacqui Smith
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chilling & haunting reminder of lessons we should never forget... a must read for all!
Claire
Heartbreaking and moving accounts of the Holocaust left behind by those murdered by the Nazi regime, and the memories of those who survived. Should be read by everyone - Never Again.
Carey Combe
I've taken over a year to read this book. It sat at my bedside and I read one or two testimonies at a time. Harrowing, brilliant and should be compulsory.
Zal
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True accounts of the victims. Mostly interviews. Good read
Elaine Simpson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We must never forget what they went through. I cannot even comprehend on how they must of suffered. A must read to make sure they are remembered and we never let it happen again .
Lynn
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of books about the Holocaust, but this was one of the most haunting. It is full of vignettes from survivors and others who lived it, prefaced by a few paragraphs from the author setting the scene for the year that was being discussed. The stories were horrifying, as is typical, and several will stay with me. One of the survivors presented an interesting theory, and she might be correct. Perhaps the reason there are people who deny that the Holocaust ever occurred is that the stor ...more
Mike Jennings
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel bad just for saying that this is a good read.
In all honesty I suppose it isn't, it's a harrowing read.
So where does the reader's satisfaction come from? for satisfying it is.
Probably it is in the honesty and humanity it portrays.
It's the kind of book which makes you shake your head as you are reading.
Then you wonder what you yourself would have done (in either role).

One of the last accounts more or less sums it up.
The interviewee is asked how they feel now it's all in the past.
The answer
atlas10
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential for anyone who seeks a more personal account of the Holocaust. This is the second book that I have read in the "Forgotten Voices" series (which was made possible by the collaboration of and vast archives of the Imperial War Museum). Thus far, I think all the books in this series would be worthwhile reads due to the quality and comprehensiveness with which each topic is handled. While it doesn't seem appropriate to give any sort of star-rating to books such as these, I have rated it a " ...more
Tasha enderby
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
I bought this book while I was on a trip with my girlfriend Lisa to Poland. It was our dream to see the consentration camps for our own eyes. It's one of things you have to see for yourself because you can't believe it could really happen to a whole race of people.

I currently live in Germany and they have put the past behind them and do a good job of not talking about it but in Poland the evidence is still there.

Reading this book after my trip changed my whole life.
Susan
Disturbing, shocking, sad: it's a very important book so we remember what happened and we can prevent it from happening again. We've seen the pictures, and to some extent we've heard about the horrible things the Nazis did to Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the handicapped, etc, but these are real stories from real survivors and their stories are horrifying. Not just what happened leading up to and in the camps, but also the aftermath once these people were liberated. Truly devastating.
Bianca Rose
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book incredibly enlightening. The stories of people who lived through the holocaust ranged from heartbreaking to unbelievable. It was riveting to read about the methods that different people employed to survive this shocking time in history. I feel that this a book that should be read by as many people as possible in order to ensure that we can attempt to prevent history from repeating itself.
Aubrey
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This poignant look inside human behavior during WW2 is a must-read for anyone who is interested in Holocaust memoirs and history. Denis Avey (who wrote The Man Who Broke into Auschwitz in 2011) makes an appearance to tell parts of his story. I listened to the audio book, which I highly recommend doing, as you get to hear the actual voices of the survivors telling their heart-wrenching and sometimes hopeful stories.
Thisisuseless
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this was a very interesting read. the stories that were told made the book stood out from the rest. I highly reccomend this book to everyone! each story was different from the next and you cant stop but keep reading. it could be a depressing hearing the survivors' painful story, it was hard to believe that any of that ever happened.
Aveen
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really insightful and interesting book. It gave you a wider scope the various people effected and their experiences of different times and places for example Those in hiding, to those in camps, those who were in forced labour camps, the death marches, Liberation, The aftermath etc. Very significant book in the history of the holocaust!
Devan
I loved the way this book was laid out. It really takes you through the entire process and makes you see what each step meant to the victims. Everyone should read this, so that we won't let such a tragedy happen again
Jill Short
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A true account of holocaust survivors. This book profoundly affected me for weeks and months after I had read it. Only the person with a heart of stone would not be affected by this truly humbling book. Should be compulsory history lesson reading for high schools.
Princess Hannah
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a horrific, inhumane and evil occurrence. This must never happen again! A must read to have the slightest insight into the pointless cruelty that was encouraged during WW2. Good on the survivors for compiling their experiences in this book and making people face up to the atrocities
Alice
An incredibly shocking, moving book told by survivors of the Holocaust. Divided into chronological/thematic sections, the audio version is especially vivid as it is told in the survivors' voices, e.g. recordings of interviews.
Karen
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holocaust
Heart-wrenching first hand accounts from survivors of the Holocaust. If this book is not recommended reading then it should be. I fear as time goes on these events will be forgotten. These stories must be kept alive. People must never forget just how low and cruel human nature can behave.
Nessa
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Intense. More should read so that we never forget.
  • Notes from the Warsaw Ghetto
  • In Our Hearts We Were Giants: The Remarkable Story of the Lilliput Troupe, a Dwarf Family's Survival of the Holocaust
  • The 23rd Psalm: A Holocaust Memoir
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival
  • I Remember Nothing More: The Warsaw Children's Hospital and the Jewish Resistance
  • The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust
  • Forgotten Voices of the Second World War: A New History of the Second World War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Were There
  • The Lost Childhood: A World War II Memoir
  • Into That Darkness: An Examination of Conscience
  • Escape: Children of the Holocaust
  • Schindler's Legacy: True Stories of the List Survivors
  • Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak: Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto
  • My Brother's Voice: How a Young Hungarian Boy Survived the Holocaust: A True Story
  • Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany
  • The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust
  • The Riddle Of Babi Yar: The True Story Told by a Survivor of the Mass Murders in Kiev, 1941-1943
  • The Diary of Petr Ginz