Start by marking “I Can't Accept Not Trying: Michael Jordan on the Pursuit of Excellence” as Want to Read:
I Can't Accept Not Trying: Michael Jordan on the Pursuit of Excellence

I Can't Accept Not Trying: Michael Jordan on the Pursuit of Excellence

Michael Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to three NBA Championships. When he retired from professional basketball in 1993 he stunned the sports world by announcing his intention to begin a professional baseball career. 'I Can't Accept Not Trying' is Jordan's personal creed and a message for anyone who aspires to greater heights or grander dreams.
Published September 1st 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about I Can't Accept Not Trying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can't Accept Not Trying

Noah
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is about Michael Jordan's life as a professional athlete and all of the hard work that goes into performing to your fullest potential. Michael talks about his hard work and how without it he wouldn't have ever been as good as he was without the hard work he put in. He talks about how he played in games and what kind of player he was.
I can connect this book to Michael Strahan's biography because both people are serious and famous athletes. Also in Strahan's bio he talks about all the h
Brett
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it read like a story a i feel like him making goals and never giving up on ur dreams
Christopher Goins
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Michael Jordan softly addresses why so many people are unsuccessful: they expect to perform better than they perform in practice. I say softly, instead of harshly, because he does, even though he had every right not to be. He could have been tougher. But the MJ we get from this book is the same MJ we get in Pat Williams’ book “How to Be Like Mike”: Michael Jordan the gentle basketball giant. I suggest that one should read the longer book by Williams first before picking up this book.

On a persona
Judd
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is really an excellent book for anyone at any age. At only 35 pages or so and probably only 500-1000 words, it's a breeze to get through but it's filled with useful information. For someone who is eager to start a project, someone looking to get over a hump, someone trying to perfect a skill, or just anyone, really. Michael Jordan clearly understood the pursuit of excellence and even for the average joe with no aspirations of being an athlete, his tips are helpful if not invaluable.

It's har
Yordy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nasser
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-2009
This book is about the one and only Michael Jordan and how he sets goals for him to be successful. in this book Michael Jordan tells us about how when he tried to do something in his basketball career people would say don’t do it and how people would think Michael Jordan didn’t have what it takes to not only comeback to NBA twice but have one of the most famous sneaker companies in the world and to be one of the most known and famous sports stars of all time. People know Michael Jordan for winni ...more
Pep Viveros
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought that I Can't Accept Not Trying was a inspiring book on how Michael Jordan pursued his life and how all the things he was taught he shared with us so we could also learn those things and use them in the future. One of the main ideas was commitment. the author Mr. Jordan taught me that if you don't commit to what you want to do, whether it's basketball or being a doctor, if you don't commit, you won't achieve anything in life. The book made me think that I have to commit to everything I ...more
Douglas
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A good book overall. The first chapter on goals really hit home for me. Basically, when you set your grant goals, you will accomplish many small goals along the way, so even if you don't become #1 salesman or top baseball player, you will have had some levels of success.

The book is really short and can be finished in 20 minutes. Its out of print, so you have to order it.

He did a great job going straight to the point. Its definitely a worthwhile read.
Donna Davies Corley
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A quick, inspirational autobiography that can help anyone with setting goals and not giving up if a person has tried out for a position or team and didn't get chosen for whatever reason as he didn't when trying out for his first high school basketball team. He lists specific guidelines to guide anyone toward achieving goals. Very fast read and good teaching or coaching or team building lessons.
Alberto Jacobo Baruqui
Uno de mis grandes ejemplos de grandeza, superación y sencillez en el triunfo. Sin duda el mejor jugador de BasketBall y uno de los mas grandes deportistas de todos los tiempos. Incomparable en su momento histórico.
Un libro sencillo y bien definido por pasos.
Sin estos simples pasos no hay forma de lograr los objetivos mayores. AJB
David
Sep 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Even when Jordan is trying to compliment coaches and teammates, he comes off as sports' biggest egomaniac. And why shouldn't he? Mostly this is full of great pictures... Jordan's philosophizing is pretty sport-psychology textbook stuff, but hey... he's Michael Jordan. We should be happy he lowers himself to address mortal man at all.
Reader
Here is a case of "more is less." This was a quick read with a lasting impression. Jordan takes the pursuit of excellence to an advanced level. It is not surprising he was such a successful athlete and continues to be such an enterprising businessman. I enjoyed the general theme of how he considers failure to be okay but not trying to be unacceptable.
Wayne
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book that gives some great advice on how to live your life to the fullest and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.
Itzel.
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
6:04 pm
Cam
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a very inspiring book
Robert Butler
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Easy read!
M
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Though not a "children's book," I read excerpts of this to my students. It's divided into chapters such as goals, teamwork, and leadership.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Very unique look at what motivated MJ to excellence.
David
Feb 15, 2013 is currently reading it
Stephanne Stacey
Good insights, but too many of them are a little vague. Still for a quotable book, it's a good one. Which is why I got it.
Cadu Campos
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Objetivo e com bons "insites" motivacionais.
Ivan
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esse é um pequeno livro sensacional. Não se baseia em "psicologia pop" como vários livros de autoajuda publicados atualmente, mas em bom senso - um bom senso sustentado, caso se faça uma leitura sintópica com outros autores que abordem os mesmos temas, em diversos outros livros influentes do nosso tempo.

Michael Jordan divide a sua preleção em seis seções: metas, medos, comprometimento, trabalho em equipe, fundamentos e liderança. Em cada uma delas, é, de certa forma, impressionante como Jordan t
Uriel
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breve historia de o "semi-manual" de Michael Jordan sobre como alcanzó el éxito. Con reflexiones acerca de las metas a corto y largo plazo así como las limitantes tanto físicas como mentales y el auto conocimiento de las fortalezas y debilidades personales.

Michael dice: "la única manera para mi de realizar es con metas a corto plazo. Nunca pensé en ser el mejor jugador de la NBA, primero quise ser el mejor jugador de mi escuela, luego de las estatales, luego de las nacionales,y así fue sucediend
Marilyn
Short but good inspirational book written by 1 of the greatest athletes of the 20th century. One of my favorite quotes from this book: "Any fear is an illusion. You think something is standing in your way, but nothing is really there. What is there is an opportunity to do your best and gain some success." Amen, MJ!
Tab
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is 36 pages, but taking the pictures out (I love picture books) and actually using the entire page would have condensed this book down to 12 pages. More like reading a hardcover whitepaper from work than a book.

It's a nice little read and has some good points. Nothing overly new or interesting.
Pepe Rios
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Libro de narración personal, en el que muestra los secretos, o trucos, o simplemente su filosofía del triunfo. Relatando las historias y su forma de pensar desde pequeño, y como en sus juegos o en todo lo que hacia pensaba positivamente y creía en si mismo para el logro de sus objetivos.

Peter Wolfley
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of Michael Jordan. Mostly because he stopped john Stockton from getting a ring, but I do respect his dedication, hard work, and lead by example attitude. He probably got a billion dollars to write this 35 page book.
Janse
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
bonzinho! nada demais
Luis M. Corona
Un libro muy corto y de fácil lectura lleno de frases motivacionales que son ciertas y que no descubren el hilo negro, pero que viniendo de quien vienen...cobran valor.
Manuel Miyares
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
44 páginas. No se retiró para escribir.

• Rebound: The Odyssey Of Michael Jordan
  • How to Be Like Mike: Life Lessons about Basketball's Best
  • Voices from the Storm: The People of New Orleans on Hurricane Katrina and Its Aftermath
  • Little Teal Book of Trust: How to Earn It, Grow It, and Keep It to Become a Trusted Advisor in Sales, Business and Life
  • A Strong Right Arm: The Story of Mamie "Peanut" Johnson
  • Last Dance: Behind the Scenes at the Final Four
  • Michael Jordan
  • Magic Johnson: My Life
  • The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White
  • Michael Jordan: On the Court with (Matt Christopher Sports Bio Bookshelf)
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Jeffrey Jordan is a retired American professional basketball player and active businessman. His biography on the National Basketball Association (NBA) website states, "By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time." Jordan was one of
“Don't let them drag you down by rumors just go with what you believe in.” 107 likes
“DI can accept failure, but i can't accept not trying.” 1 likes