Start by marking “The Historic Unfulfilled Promise” as Want to Read:
The Historic Unfulfilled Promise

The Historic Unfulfilled Promise

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Howard Zinn's life and work are the stuff of legend. His "People's History of the United States" has sold over two million copies and has altered how we see and teach history. A hero in word and deed, Zinn's views on freedom, fairness, history, democracy, and our own human potential are educational and transformative. In few places is the genius of his voice more crystalli ...more
Published June 12th 2012 by City Lights Books

To ask other readers questions about The Historic Unfulfilled Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Historic Unfulfilled Promise

Aaron Cance
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume collects essays that Zinn wroter for The Progressive over a period just shy of thirty years. It has proven to be a fantastic intruduction to his work and should be on the bookshelf of any American who is interested in a real democratic system of government. The essays range in scale from the micropolitics of Boston University late in the 20th Century to the shameful foibles of both the Clinton and W. Bush administrations. Equally critical of Democrats and Republicans, Zinn would like ...more
Kate
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can hear Howard's voice while reading his words, which greatly enriches the experience. His ability to make me laugh out loud while reading disturbing truths about our government is such a gift. His sense of humor and wit greatly improve accessibility, reach and, I believe, moves more readers to shift their position to one more closely in line with his. I deeply miss his compassionate, and passionate presence in our world, but am ever grateful that our lives overlapped as much as they did. Thi ...more
City Lights Booksellers & Publishers
"This posthumous collection of Zinn's passionate, iconoclastic, and wryly humorous articles from the Progressive magazine spans 30 years—from 1980 to 2010—though most are of 21st-century vintage. Zinn argues repeatedly for an alternative to war, totalitarianism, and redistribution of resources and energy away from the military and 'toward ideals of egalitarianism, community, and self-determination... which have been the historic, unfulfilled promise of the word democracy.' Zinn persists with his ...more
Jonathan
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent launching point into reading Zinn's past writings. Definitely a man that didn't get a chance to finish his work, but inspiring enough so that another may pickup the torch and strive for change.
R.K. Cowles
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars
Milo
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really accessible and thought-provoking essays about really important topics. Several of the essays repeat each other, but that's the nature of a collection. I agreed with about 95%, and the remaining 5% was presented in a way that I was willing to give it some thought, rather than shoot it down as I-just-don't-agree. Somebody needs to force-feed a few of these essays to our new "president".
Sivananthi T
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In times of war, Zinn is an essential read I think. Why do nations go to war? Why does the US go to war? What do we defend, and from whom? An analysis which can be applied not only to current international matters, but also domestic matters in Malaysia - an analysis based on class, the defence of capitalism and militarism. "We are smart in so many ways. Surely, we should be able to understand that in between war and passivity, there are a thousand possibilities."
Gordon Howard
Only for hardcore fans of Howard Zinn. A majority of the articles are anti-war screeds, some more persuasive than others. The best of the articles are 1) an interview with David Barsamian, and 2) Three Holy Wars, which presents an interesting take on the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and World War II.
H Wesselius
A collection of essays written for the Progressive magazine over the last 20 years. The majority concern itself with Iraq. Reading essays meant for a news magazine invariably mean the articles are dated and thus not always relevant. However, they are saved by Zinn's writing and analysis which help the reader relive the past with more clarity.
colin
i love me some Howard Zinn, especially when he's fired up about something, like invading a country under false pretense, or deceiving a populace about priorities and spending, you know, that kinda stuff...
Beth Shirley
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because this is a collection of short essays written for The Progressive over a 30-year period, I recommend you not try to read these in one sitting. Zinn does tend to repeat himself, but the messages are well-put and thought-provoking.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Jul 28, 2012
Chris Alden
Jan 12, 2013
John
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2012
Jun 14, 2012
Vivek Jain
Aug 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • More Powerful Than Dynamite: Radicals, Plutocrats, Progressives, and New York's Year of Anarchy
  • The Communist Horizon
  • The Gun and the Olive Branch: The Roots of Violence in the Middle East
  • Outdated: Why Dating Is Ruining Your Love Life
  • The Florence King Reader
  • Occupy!: Scenes from Occupied America
  • The Death and Life of American Journalism: The Media Revolution that Will Begin the World Again
  • Philosophy for Militants
  • All on Fire: William Lloyd Garrison and the Abolition of Slavery
  • Going Up the River: Travels in a Prison Nation
  • The Life and Death of Democracy
Howard Zinn was a historian, playwright, and social activist. He was a shipyard worker and a bombardier with the U.S. Army Air Force in Europe during the Second World War before he went to college under the GI Bill and received his Ph.D. from Columbia University.

Zinn taught at Spelman College and Boston University, and was a visiting professor at the University of Paris and the University of Bolo
More about Howard Zinn

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation