Start by marking “Five Myths about Nuclear Weapons” as Want to Read:
Five Myths about Nuclear Weapons

Five Myths about Nuclear Weapons

Most of us think there's nothing new to say about nuclear weapons. Yes, they're horrible, possibly immoral, and definitely dangerous, but they feel necessary. If force is the final arbiter between nations, and nuclear bombs are the most powerful weapons, then we're basically stuck with them. Aren't we?
In this groundbreaking book, Ward Wilson delivers a resounding "No." Bl
Published January 15th 2013 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Five Myths about Nuclear Weapons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Myths about Nuclear Weapons

Nicholas
This is a very interesting and succinct essay and very clearly written. However, I don't think the author quite makes his case. At the end he claims that the nuclear weapons do not have a special power to overawe their opponents (example Japan 1945) and that they might not be decisive in war.

Wilson argues that Japan surrendered because the USSR entered the war against them, not because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I think his arguments are very convincing though the documentary evidence he present
Nicolette
I dived into this expecting to rate it higher, and for some reason I feel guilty for not being able to do so. Perhaps it is because I felt myself arguing fiercely, internally, with not only his extrapolations, but many of the precepts he based them on as well. Before I elaborate, note that I have a specific and perhaps different background regarding the subject of Japan, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and nuclear weaponry. This past December, I went on a research trip to the country I had wanted to visit ...more
Bob Anderson
Aug 24, 2015 Bob Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilson’s thesis is that our societal maxims about nuclear weapons are not proven facts but instead myths constructed in retrospective through a combination of wishful thinking, self-aggrandizement, and rationalizing away of faults. He pokes through these myths with very well chosen historical evidence, and argues for a more rational approach to determining what value and use nuclear weapons actually have. Since the book is short and valuable enough, I’ll summarize each myth: first, although we t ...more
The Hellman Authors
Because this is my primary area of academic interest and I've read extensively on the issues treated here, I wasn't sure how much time I would spend reading this book. But, when I got my copy, I found myself drawn in to the point that I finished it the same day it arrived! That hasn't happened in a long time, and is a tribute to both Ward Wilson's masterful writing style and his concise arguments.

To put this praise in context, I should note that I've criticized an earlier paper of Wilson's for c
Peter Mcloughlin
This is a very short book about myths of nuclear weapons. The author contends 1. Nuclear weapons weren't the cause of Japans surrender but more likely Russia's declaration of war against Japan in the summer of 45. 2. Nuclear deterence is reliable in a crisis, The author argues that in the Cuban Missile Crisis, The Yom Kippur War, and The Gulf war in 1990 luck was more important than any deterrent of nukes. 3. Nukes brought about the long peace from 1945 to the present, The author argues that ot ...more
Mike Gabor
Feb 06, 2013 Mike Gabor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cold-war
The author of this book says that there are 5 myths concerning nuclear weapons. They are as follows:

• that nuclear weapons necessarily shock and awe opponents, including Japan at the end of World War II
• that nuclear deterrence is reliable in a crisis
• that destruction wins wars
• that the bomb has kept the peace for sixty-five years
• and that we can’t put the nuclear genie back in the bottle

While I don't necessarly agree with all the points he makes I will say that he has given you reason to thi
Amber the Human
Mar 19, 2013 Amber the Human rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Short and to the point - doesn't get bogged down with what we should be doing, or technical whatnot, or confusing war tactics. He makes points that make sense and are both disturbing and inspiring. This book reminded me of a Malcolm Gladwell book, in the sense that you read it and you're like 'OMG - everyone needs to read this and the world will change for the better!' but you can't make everyone read it. Sigh. But I wish they would!
Matthew
Jun 03, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read, and thought-provoking from beginning to end. Not exhaustively argued, but with enough nuance to at least make one consider the questions at hand: did the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki really end the Second World War (and does strategic bombing really work?)? Who was really the aggressor nation, pushing the world to the brink in the Cuban missile crisis (and what does that say about the wisdom of relying on "deterrence"?)? And more...
Matt Heavner
Jan 13, 2013 Matt Heavner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a thought provoking read which brings up the cultural traditions and mythologies concerning the role of and investment in nuclear weapons. This is an important revisit and part of a needed discussion. A straight on look at nukes in the context of their use, their politics, their assumptions, etc. Sometimes depressing but the book ended on a nice note of hope for a new dialogue and better future.
Sam
May 06, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book raises serious questions about the viability of nuclear deterrence and the usefulness of nuclear weapons. Many preconceived notions you have about nuclear weapons will have to be reexamined after reading this book.
Nathan Nipp
Nov 13, 2014 Nathan Nipp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought-provoking book about the history of nuclear weapons. Actually more of a counter-history to the understood narrative, starting with an alternate theory about the reason Japan surrendered and how this shaped the way we viewed nuclear weapons.
Douglas
Jan 15, 2013 Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very insightful
Tom
This 187 page work has 59 of those as footnotes. As they said on "Dragnet", "...Facts, just the facts...".
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2017
William Langdon-banks
William Langdon-banks rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Timothy Jorgensen
Timothy Jorgensen rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Thuy Pham
Thuy Pham rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2017
Ronald J Bauer
Ronald J Bauer rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2017
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Andrew Simmons
Andrew Simmons rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
KnutN
KnutN rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Shi Gu
Shi Gu rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2013
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2015
Frank Hintz
Frank Hintz rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
David Hickey
David Hickey rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
WARD WILSON is a senior fellow at the Center for Nonproliferation Studies of the Monterey Institute of International Studies. He has spoken before governments and at think tanks and universities, including Stanford, Princeton, Georgetown, the Naval War College, and the United Nations.
More about Ward Wilson...