Start by marking “With Head and Heart: The Autobiography of Howard Thurman” as Want to Read:
With Head and Heart: The Autobiography of Howard Thurman

With Head and Heart: The Autobiography of Howard Thurman

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Howard Thurman was a unique man-a black minister, philosopher, and educator whose vitality and vision touched the lives of countless people of all races, faiths, and cultures. Index; photographs.
Published October 14th 1981 by Mariner Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about With Head and Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Head and Heart

WT Sharpe
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most remarkable and honest human being presents his life warts and all. His discovery of his own racial prejudice while roomed with a white man in his college days is one of the book's highlights. A book that doesn't ignore the past but still offers hope for the future.
Steve Lee Sr
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I wish I had known him...

This book was hard to put down and thoroughly enjoyable. Howard Thurman was a remarkable man. I am surprised that I just recently learned of him. His, is a life worth examining and his example is worthy of following. The minute I finished this book, I got back on Amazon and ordered two of his other books.

His vision and work should be continued.
Michael Dunn
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"On one of our visits to Daytona Beach I was eager to show my daughters some of my early haunts. We sauntered down the long street from the church to the riverfront. This had been the path of the procession to the baptismal ceremony in the Halifax River, which I had often described to them. We stopped here and there as I noted the changes that had taken place since that far-off time. At length we passed the playground of one of the white public schools. As soon as Olive and Anne saw the swings, ...more
Drick
This autobiography by Howard Thurman is not so much an orderly account of his life (although one does get a sense of the significant landmarks in his journey) as it is a series of reflections on significant events in that journey. Born and raised in the segregated South (Daytona, Florida) Thurman went on to be the Dean of the chapel at both Howard University and Boston University. In between he was one of the founding pastor of Fellowship Church in San Francisco, one of the first intentionally m ...more
Roger Wood
An influential American author, philosopher, theologian, educator and civil rights leader. He was Dean of Theology at Boston University for more than two decades, wrote 20 books, and in 1944 helped found the first racially integrated, multicultural church in the United States in San Francisco, California.

Widely considered to be one the most important philosophers and theologians in the history of America, Howard Thurman is essential figure in post Word War II in the United States.

Autobiographies
Jannie Collier
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book and it reveals the American culture as it was. Also it is a book about change and what it takes for society to change- it starts with one person at a time. The stories are great, the pictures are historical, and the importance of community. It is a must read for any clergy person regardless of denomination. He not only told his story, once again, he told America story.
Kristal Owens
This is an excellent book on a mystic and scholar in the 20th Century. Dr. Thurman balanced intellect and spirituality through dialogue with the likes of Gandhi and others. He influenced Martin Luther King, Jr.'s approach to non-violent confrontation. Along with a white Presbyterian minister, Dr. Thurman co-founded a multi-racial, inter-faith and inclusive organization, Church for the Fellowship of All Peoples, in San Francisco, CA.
Betty
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thurman was born in the early 1900s to a poor black family. He became a highly educated and influential minister and professor. I very much enjoyed reading about his life. Interesting perspectives on race, Christianity, and making the church accepting of all people. The last few chapters were less personal and more lists of accomplishments. I never heard of him until a favorite meditation in one of my books listed him as the author.
Naomi
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, biography
Many times in my life I have turned to Thurman's spiritual writing for understanding and courage and comfort. Reading his autobiography brings greater depth to that reading, revealing Thurman's struggles and his life's work more fully. Recommended, especially for students of spiritual autobiography.
Heidi
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I am loving this book so far! And as far as I can tell if you are interested in Black History it is a MUST READ!!! I am reading it from my biography for my Black History class and am so happy that I picked Howard Thurman, I am loving everything I am reading about him and his life is interesting and a good insight into a life of a black man during the early to mid 1900s.
Ross West
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I was fortunate to hear Dr. Thurman preach many years ago. Even though it was so long ago, he and his sermon were so impressive that I still remember much of it.
Sarah Boyette
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful prose, beautiful writing. I loved hearing his life story and how he gave true accounting of many struggles without bitterness.
Donna
Jessica
Jul 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mirror to America
  • Righteous Discontent: The Women's Movement in the Black Baptist Church, 1880-1920
  • A Black Theology of Liberation
  • Prophesy Deliverance!
  • Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church
  • The Christian Imagination: Theology and the Origins of Race
  • Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander
  • In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins
  • A Knock at Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Stokely: A Life
  • Jesus before Christianity
  • The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study
  • Snake Oil: The Art of Healing and Truth-Telling
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume II: From Augustine to the Eve of the Reformation
  • Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology
  • Philosophy & the Christian Faith
  • Eye on the Struggle: Ethel Payne, the First Lady of the Black Press
  • Anarchy and Christianity
Howard Thurman (born 1899 in Daytona Beach, Florida - April 10, 1981 in Daytona Beach, Florida) was an author, philosopher, theologian, educator and civil rights leader.
More about Howard Thurman...