Start by marking “Legwork” as Want to Read:
Legwork

Legwork

(Casey Jones Mysteries #1)

She's smart, talented and durable, but Casey Jones has had more than her share of bad luck in her life -- including a short stretch in a Florida pen that haunts her still. In Raleigh, N.C., where Casey now lives, a prison record means no private investigator's license. So she's doing legwork for legit p.i. Bobby D -- a blimp-sized eating machine with a bad toupee, who exer ...more
Published 1997 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Legwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legwork

Start your review of Legwork
Alex ♈
Such a promising beginning of a suspense series!

First of all, we should cut it some slack, the book was written in 1997 and may be slightly politically incorrect. Nothing really bothered me, but maybe younger readers would find the humour too harsh.

Amazing heroine.
Cool, blatant honest, unapologetically bold woman with zero filter and I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude.

Not a standard beauty...

"I grew to like the feeling of being able to take care of myself. Today, I look chubby at first glance and
Laurie Hanan
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first I was put off by the swearing, promiscuous, over-sexed protagonist who constantly fantasizes about the men she sees. But the humor grabbed me at a time when I was down and needed a good chuckle. I decided to continue reading, and I’m glad I did. This is a fun story filled with unique and endearing characters. The mystery is intriguing, the plot tightly woven and complex – and it ends with the rescue of a good dog. Well worth the read!
Tony Hisgett
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, review
This was a decent mystery where the perpetrator was fairly easy to spot, but at least the plot was fairly logical. What makes the book interesting was the main character ‘Casey’, who is not your typical depressive ‘down at heal’ PI.
She is irreverent and ‘snarky’, but in many ways is quite optimistic, even though because of a criminal record, is unlicensed and has to work for somebody else.

I quite liked Casey, although I found her constantly lusting after good-looking men became a bit tedious.
An Imaginary Cat
Not bad! 👍

I went in with no pretensions, it turned out to be what it promised to be: a thriller, and a rather fun one. The main character is a woman (yay, kudos!). She's brave, she's powerful, and her thoughts are often hilarious.

I was surprised by the ending (in a good way). I didn't see it coming, but when it did it made total sense, considering. All in all, the only thing I skept over were her descriptions of men because yeah whatevs not interesting, but even that is personal, so...
Hope
Feb 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I really wanted to like this book. I like reading local authors, I like mystery stories, I like stories about strong women, and I like stories with a strong sense of place, especially when it's a place I know.

Legwork is all of those things; I still didn't like it. I read to page 52, read the last chapter, and gave up. The writing is good enough. Unfortunately, there aren't any people, just caricatures. Everyone is larger than life and twice as ridiculous. It felt like a long info-dump intersper
Heather
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
It seems that most mystery series I read these days with a female lead resemble the Stephanie Plum series. This one was yet another, except taking place in North Carolina, and the lead not originally being from there. There were some differences though, such as our lead, Casey Jones, has a criminal past which is why she is a transplant to NC. She is now, fourteen years later, working for a PI and currently acting as a bodyguard for a woman running for Senate. Said woman is arrested for the murde ...more
Jenn
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Eh. I started out not liking this one at all, but it did get better. I didn't care for any of the characters here. No one was likable. The main character was weirdly masculine, yet felt like she wasn't meant to be so much so. And we get it. Her boss eats a lot. Can we move on? Oh, and (I'll be vague so there's no spoilers), but who DIDN'T know exactly who the culprit was after the convo at the river? I mean, it was frustrating reading the main character try to puzzle it out when it was so obviou ...more
James
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not another run of the mill politico novels.

If you enjoy reading a story about belittling southern people than this one is for you. But not only us local yahoo's but just about conservative people in general. It was obvious who the killer was when introduced about half way through. I have my permit to carry but Casey doesn,the and she thinks that is OK.
This could have been a good read if the author's bias wasn't so obvious. I doubt if I will read another one of her novels. There are plenty of g
Dava Stewart
Not a bad book, but not my cup of tea. It felt like the writer wanted to make the main character excessively masculine. It felt like she was a stereotypical undercover detective: grungy, rough, just barely staying within the bounds of the law - usually - except she is a she.
Kevin
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Legwork (a Casey Jones mystery),” by Katy Munger, is in some ways a traditional private investigator murder mystery, and in some ways a quasi-romance novel written from the point of view of the highly horny and always on the make P.I. wannabe, Casey Jones. Casey does not actually have a P.I. license, due to a long-ago felony conviction, but she works for a guy who has a license and so she pretends to be an actual P.I. so for all relevant purposes, she is one. Her slovenly and gluttonous boss is ...more
Quillracer
Apr 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
Let’s cut to the chase right off the bat: Not one single thing about Casey Jones in Amazon’s description of Legwork is accurate.

The description calls her ‘wisecracking’ and ‘downright hilarious.’ Whoever wrote this must have read a different version of the book than I did because I didn’t come across one wisecrack and Casey was not even faintly hilarious. It says her ‘riotous narration makes the whole series a laugh-a-minute to read,’ and ‘when it comes to lust she’s in a class by herself.’ I di
Megan
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a decent book for the most part, a quick read and a pretty translucent storyline. The typos annoyed me, like the letter E being 6 or other symbols. Or when she abbreviated “who are” with who’re. My other major annoyance is that she keeps talking about how fat she (Casey) is, describing herself as cased sausage and refrigerator butt. Then later you find out that she is really tall and only 160 pounds. Girl that is not fat! I’d hate to think what Katy thinks about the majority of women sh ...more
Mary Rowe
Interesting Take on Southern Politics and Life

First off the text had weird typos. “Bade” appeared randomly and inappropriately. Some of the technology seemed dated until I saw the copyright - 1997! In which case the book actually held up well. I thought Casey’s attitude towards men was a bit over-emphasized (Randy Wayne White’s Hannah Smith - all of them - are written as I wish Casey was). Once the focus of the book shifted to the actual investigation, I enjoyed it. Three and one-half stars.
Denise
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Legwork' was an interesting start to what might be a good series, based on the humor ,the characters and the author's writing style. Overall I liked the story line and how it played out. Casey was a great lead, to me. I loved her humor and her inner dialog. She has a unique way of tackling cases and people in general. I look forward to reading more. The only bad thing is that this book needs editing.
Steph Mayor
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick and full of laughs

Casey is one of the snarkiest characters I've encountered. I enjoyed her narration and the story itself was interesting too. I will say that there's quite a bit that seemed to be a stretch, but then that's kind of the point of books like this, the exaggeration, etc. All in all, a great read. I loved the "southern charm."
Betty Godsey-Brown
Grows on you

I had a little trouble getting started with this book. I wasn't sure if it was going to follow through with this story line with a funny and witty female investigator. I'm glad I stuck it out. Casey is very good and very entertaining! Getting ready for the second book in the series!
caribbeanbookworm
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read

I love Casey Jones, she's such a down to earth,fun character. The story is well written with well developed individuals. Casey Jones is a strong no nonsense woman and you're gonna love her.
Jana Gundy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good PI book

I really enjoyed this book that starts the series about a woman who has seen bad times but is now working as a pseudo P.I. It was fun, kept me interested and I loved the mystery of who the murderer was.
Tom Fowler
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Casey Jones is an interesting, refreshing addition to the PI landscape. This book has memorable characters and a lot of southern atmosphere. The pacing was good, allowing for a quick, entertaining read.
Elizabeth Rebecca Shaw
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book about the investigation of a murder. Some interesting characters and situations. I liked the lead character but felt the ending was a bit weak for her. Settling for a man so soon when she was so interested in another. Overall quite good.
Kathy Donoff
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book, but the easy way the story was rolled out made it lots of fun to meander through. It often put a smile on my face; definitely a fun read!
Mona
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wisecracking

Really enjoyed the wisecracking heroine and her bold straightforward view of life. The mystery was well plotted and the writing excellent. I've just started the next book in the series and look forward to another enjoyable read.
Ruth Caves
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Country

When your life is a mess I guess it makes sense that you would want to straighten out the lives of others. Interesting cast of characters with a slew of southern mystique stirred in. And everyone knows that it really the southern women that rule the roost.
Cassandra
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short.and sweet

The story line is simple with twists and turns. Basically I like the book and at first I didn't care for all of the cliches but midway through the characters use of them made me smile.
Loretta Gabriel
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and entertaining story

The author has written a very interesting story of what some people will do to insure they achieve their goals and remain in control. A great and suspenseful story that is sure to keep you entertained.
C.A. Knutsen
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Casey Jones is an outstanding PI character. She is who she is and is very up front about it. There were a number of helpful supporting characters which were also well developed. The mystery was interesting. The descriptions were well done. One got a good feeling for the lay of the land.
Virginia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A laugh a minute

A l cute thriller about a would-be detective who manages to solve a murder before the police do. She comes up with the funniest comments that kept me giggling through the book
Verity W
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. I hadn't come across the series or the author before, but this helped scatch my Steph-Plum-esque mystery novel itch. I'd happily read more (and will be going back to the second hand store where I picked it up to see if they have more!).
Felicia Brown-Williams
Super dated, predictable but not awful

Super dated, as in mentions of car phones
Predictable
Not great, could have been worse
Some typos that could have been caught by a simple spell check
Kathleen Roe
Jun 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good

Used the comedy way too much. Could not even finish the book. Every sentence was trying to be comedy central. Could have been a good story line. Comedy is good , just not so much.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• In Dog We Trust (Golden Retriever Mystery #1)
  • Witch Unleashed (A Hex Sister Cozy Mystery Book 1)
  • One Dark and Stormy Knight: A Cozy Witch Mystery (The Avalon Café, #1)
  • Steeped in Suspicion (A Pebble Cove Teahouse Mystery #1)
  • The Trouble with San Francisco (Suite and Slain #1)
  • Dead at Third (Henry Walsh Private Investigator Series Book 1)
  • The Reluctant Coroner (Fenway Stevenson Mysteries Book 1)
  • A Smidgeon of Ghosts (Madeline Donovan #6)
  • The Freeman Files Series: Books 1-3 (The Freeman Files Box Set)
  • News and Nectarines: A small town cozy mystery (Tri-Town Murders Book 1)
  • Death Trap (A Paradox Murder Mystery # 1)
  • Follow You: A Gripping Psychological Thriller That Will Have You At The Edge Of Your Seat (Cole Baxter Author Bundle Book 2)
  • New Orleans Mourning (Skip Langdon, Mystery #1)
  • Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1)
  • Ouna Bay Cozy Mystery (Ouna Bay #1-4)
  • 12
  • Behind The Pretty Pink Door
  • Purrfect Alibi (The Mysteries of Max #9)
Wrote two of the Dead Detective series under the pseudonym Chaz McGee and the rest under her own name.

Casey Jones Mysteries (7 books)
  • Out of Time (Casey Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
  • Bad To The Bone (Casey Jones Mysteries #4)
  • Better Off Dead (Casey Jones Mysteries #5)
  • Bad Moon On The Rise (Casey Jones Mysteries #6)
  • Fire and Rain (Casey Jones #7)