Start by marking “How Are You Peeling?: Foods With Moods” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
How Are You Peeling?: ...

Saxton Freymann

How Are You Peeling?: Foods With Moods

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,433 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
The popular picture book featuring food sculptures that embody emotions, with simple text to encourage conversation between parents and children about feelings, is now available in this Spanish language translation. Full-color photos.
Published (first published 1999)

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Oh my god I LOVED this book. I have such fond memories of it. Even after I'd read it a hundred times, I would thumb through it if I felt angry or sad and let the emotional fruits and veggies cheer me up. Lovely little book that I still remember all these years later.
April Thompson
I expected more from this. Damn expectations..
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
As the parent of an emotionally disturbed foster daughter, I know first hand how necessary it is for young children to understand their emotions, whether positive or negative, and find appropriate outlets to express those emotions.

This beautiful book is a wonderful way to expose young children to the concept of emotions, and to help a youngster know there is a difference between "sad" and "tired" and "lonely". While the book does not always explain what those emotions mean, it presents the emoti
Erin M.
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
Based on concept alone, I have to give this book 5 stars.

I ordered it for my oldest daughter a few years back from Scholastic, because, I had to admit, I wanted to read it. When her teachers saw it, they wanted to read it, too.

Now I am passing a torn, taped and battered copy down to my youngest, hoping she will enjoy it just as much.

There is something simply engaging about the bold, primary colours, the thick, glossy pages, and of course, the odd-shaped vegetables and fruits given more expressi
Heidi-Marie
I'm pretty sure I bought this for my cousins as a thank-you gift for letting me stay with them for a time. It was probably when the book was published. I love this book--anything silly like this makes me smile. (Think the cupcake book and the Star Wars cookbooks.) But I like to play with my food and I'm glad others out there do, too.

1/25/12 A great storytime suggestion from my co-worker that was a much better choice than my previous "Squish Rabbit." The text was way too small for me to be able
Dan
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most moving and inspirational books I have ever had the privilege to read. "How Are You Peeling" made me take an objective look at my emotional state and helped me to realize that having different feelings all the time is okay - that's what life is all about! This book quenched my thirst for literature while giving me an unusual craving for turnips.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, beloved
2001, January 1

These guys, they make vegetables into faces, or animals or whatever, and then they take pictures of them. It sounds stupid, but it's brilliant, really.

Library copy
babyhippoface
Amazingly expressive veggies! This is the cutest book, and darned if it doesn't make me want to take a knife and a bag of dried blackeyed peas and start building myself a little veggie village....
Sara Lemonade
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing but faces made out of fruits and vegetables, and it's soooo cool to look at!
Rachel Herrington
This book is very sentimental for me, because I've had this book since I was a child. This book is filled with rhyming fruits and vegetables, telling about different feelings you can have. The book is so creative and interesting to look at, and gives all kinds of feelings that people (or vegetables) can have. It helps young children interpret their own feelings and figure out their own emotions. I would use this book in a young elementary class to teach about different kinds of feelings.
Ellon
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
I thought this was such a cute way to talk about emotions. I used it with my older (4th/5th grade) CALS (Communication and Learning Support - mostly kids on the autism spectrum or other related disorders) kids and it seemed to be interesting enough to keep their attention while also being a good springboard for a discussion on emotions.
Ro Ja
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! The laughs and giggles this book caused made it worth the billion times my son read it in a matter of three weeks from its check out from our local library! It was on a list from my son’s kindergarten teacher for suggested readings. My little man has most definitely found a favorite! Thank you for the fun!
Mely
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
this is an interesting and unique approach to illustrating a book. My toddler was mesmerised by the different faces. we definitely had a lot of conversation after reading this book. Will read over and over.
Sara van meter
weird. made me uncomfortable, and probably would've freaked young me out.
Edwina Callan
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2017
This is such a cute little book, I can't wait to read it to my Granddaughter when she comes to visit for Thanksgiving.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Cute book with ingenious illustrations.
Valerie
“How Are You Peeling? Foods with Moods” is an informational picture book that has pictures of different types of fruits and vegetables. These aren’t just any old foods though, they have emotions too! The pictures of food in this book have been carved out with an exacto knife in order to make them look like animals or to have human-like expressions. The text of this book gives prompts to how the food is probably feeling and suggests what scene might be taking place to the reader.
Response:
When I
April Poulter
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
I read a book a few weeks ago by the same author entitled "Fast Food" and really enjoyed it. The pictures are so clever! It is so fun to see how they went about using fruits and vegetables to make faces that convey emotion. Children will love looking at and laughing at the pictures in this book!
Besides the pictures being amazing, this book provides a fun atmosphere in which to talk about feelings and emotions. Having studied child development throughout college, I recognize and am a strong advoc
Brooke Leone
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"How Are You Peeling?" is a great book for young readers specifically. Young readers such as preschoolers and children who are just learning how to read love this book because it is so creative and fun yet still very easy for them to read. The book basically uses friends and vegetables as the illustrations and goes through all the different emotions kids could have in different situations. This book is a great teaching point because if a child is feeling sad or mad, you could use this book to sh ...more
Ally Lybbert
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eled-340
Picture book
I am on the hunt for a book to help teach emotional intelligence.
This book uses fruits and vegetables to talk about different emotions.
I love the idea.
The illustrations are photographs which I think is very creative.
I would use this in my classroom to talk about emotions
Amber Bartram
This is a silly book that has fruits and vegetables talk about different emotions. This one "The New York Times Book Review-Illustrated Children's Book" award.
Luis Reynoso
How Are You Peeling? Is a children’s book with illustrations of fruits and vegetables showing with faces showing their emotions. Each page asks the reader if they are in a specific emotion with a fruit or vegetable personified into having that emotion on their face. Every couple pages the author asks the reading how we, the readers, are feeling.
The first thing that stood out to me was that the fruits and vegetables were not drawn. They were all real photographs of fruits and vegetables altered
Stephanie
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could be just silly -- fruits and vegetables with faces -- turns thought-provoking as readers must consider what exactly it is about an expression that evokes emotion. The rhyming text is secondary to the delightful photographs of carved produce, from a squash towering over tiny radishes to a strawberry kissing a puckered-up apple. An end note explains how the artists used an Exacto knife and natural materials such as black-eyed peas to create the grinning and scowling veggies. Unlike many ...more
Karen
My first thought, wow, this really does take informational books to a different level. Originally, I had thought that the genre would focus more on relaying factual information. It opened by eyes to the category of concept books, to look at elementary factual topics.

This would definitely be more of an elementary book. I think it would be an interesting book to use as a read aloud to a first or second grade room. It could provide good conversations about emotions and how we deal with them. Teach
Lisa Vegan
My library copy had a page torn out so either somebody really liked it or a young child got their hands on it. I didn’t like it enough to borrow another copy to see what I missed.

I was not wowed. The poem that made up the story was only so-so, and the photos of the fruits and vegetables made into faces with various expressions were not as inventive and attractive as others I’ve seen by this artist.

And as a vegan (especially when reading to vegan kids) it’s sufficiently laborious to describe the
Shelby Moser
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-261
How Are You Peeling? was an interesting way of teaching children about the emotions that they might have. The book uses various vegetables with facial expressions to teach the children about different emotions. The book touches on jealousy, anger, happiness, being shy, ect.
I think that this book is creative, it is not one of my favorite books to read, but I would assume many kids would find enjoyment in vegetables with faces on them. This book is obviously for children in the age range of 3-5.
Tiffany
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educ378
Text to Teach Connection

This is a good book for teaching children how to identify their emotions while learning about different kinds of fruits and vegetables at the same time. A response activity for this book would be a science experiment where children can taste test some of the fruit and vegetables shown in the book. The foods can be taste tested one day and children can write which foods they liked/didn't like and why. On another day, children can be blindfolded and encouraged to taste the
Shannon Brasher
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool, emotions
This is an excellent book to read with children to discuss emotions. For young children or children with special needs, they may have a hard time expressing and/or understanding various emotions or how they or others are feeling. This book does a fantastic job of putting a face to an emotion using whimsical artwork. Even though this book is recommended as ages 4-8, I believe children of all ages will enjoy this book. The photography in this book is beautiful and children will enjoy looking at th ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
This book would be a good choice for younger children who are learning ways to express their feelings as it has many pictures (of fruits and vegetables) with their varying shapes that have been transformed to look like they are forming human emotions. The author did a great job of prompting the listener so that they can come up with possible answers to the questions. Children will be able to hear varying ways to express similar feelings, plus the illustrations are very vivid and honestly, I am j ...more
Rebekah
This was such a cute and clever book!! I was amazed at the creativity the author had to make faces our of fruits and vegetables. The author was creative at using the different parts of the fruits and vegetables, to convey a feeling. I thought it especially creative at how the author carved out the inside of a fruit, or only half carved it to show a smile.
I thought it especially cute and clever how he author showed the shy face. a little fruit hiding inside a carved out cantalope.
I was smiling
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • One Tiny Turtle
  • Today I Feel Silly  Other Moods That Make My Day
  • Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Walter Was Worried
  • Charlie Needs a Cloak
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)