Start by marking “Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)

Hotspur

("Sister" Jane #2)

In her well-received novel Outfoxed, Rita Mae Brown vividly and deftly brought to life the genteel world of foxhunting, where hunters, horses, hounds, and foxes form a tightly knit community amidst old money and simmering conflicts. With Hotspur, we return to the Southern chase-and to a hunt on the trail of a murderer.

Jane "Sister" Arnold may be in her seventies, but she
Published November 4th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hotspur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotspur

Start your review of Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
Jim
A fun book in many ways, mostly because Brown captures horse & fox hunting people so well. It gets 5 stars for that. Sister reminds me a lot of my mother, who is also 71 (72 next week) and still charges about on horseback 4 or 5 times a week with her local hunt. Mom's not a Master, but was a Whip for a couple of decades & she carried a .38 pistol in that job. Some scenes were just perfect.

Brown really captures the thrill of the chase & the fact that's what it is. While it's called
Joseph
I'm really enjoying this series. The mysteries are okay, but the back stories and the social interactions of both the people and the animals are what make these books lots of fun to read. I love how well the author gives voices to the animals and has them talk with each other.
Heidi
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this.

It's not the first in this series, but I totally fell in love with the whole thing: the crazy-privileged fox-hunters, the certainty within the text that American fox-hunting is very different from English fox-hunting, getting all the thoughts of the animals... All of a sudden it's not so odd that Rita Mae Brown credits her cat with co-authoring her mysteries.

It harked back to one of the guilty pleasures of my late teens - Francine Pascal's "Caitlin" series. I don't think Francine
Phyllis Gauker
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Rita Mae Brown books where animals talk, but this is the only one where my heart beat faster at the description of the fox hunt! I grew up in Virginia so always enjoy these books set in Virginia because of the colloquial language etc. but I am from a part of Virginia where fox hunting was not well known, so it was all news to me. She certainly is able to catch (or remember?) the ways in which Virginians are able to say what they think without saying specifics. Living by ...more
Max
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The question above this dialogue box is "What did you think?" Well, only into the second book and I think that the Jefferson Hunt Club is going to be quite small at the end of the series. I like the human intrigues. For instance, Sister Jane wonders why she is attracted to the newcomer Walter Lungrun, he somehow reminds her of her deceased husband. Of course we all know this is because he is her husband's son from a dalliance long ago. Can it get better? Yes. Guess who is the murderer in this ...more
Lynn
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ebooks
Hotspur is the second mystery in the "Sister" Jane Arnold Foxhunting Mysteries. Before there are objections: yes it is foxhunting, but it's American foxhunting which chases the fox to ground, not to death. And, as with other Rita Mae Brown mysteries, the animals, including the foxes are characters in the mystery and have insight the Humans do not.

The mystery of Hotspur is an historical one, in that the initial murder(s) took place well before the action of the book. It was an interesting
Marcia Scott
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second Sister Janenovel, set in the world of humane fox hunting in Virginia, seeks to solve an old murder. One of their own disappeared years ago but her body has just been discovered. Then Sister Jane receives a phone call that leads to another body. Does the killer want to be found? Is he or she a member of the hunt? In this second installment it becomes clear that Sister will solve mysteries. Intelligent foxes, hounds and horses that communicate with each other, exciting descriptions of ...more
Sharon Samms
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Sister Jane Series!

This is the 2nd time I've read the Sister Jane series and each time, I find out something I missed the last time I read the book!
My favorite of Rita Mae Brown's books is Riding Shotgun ~ a fantastic time travel novel! Check it out!
Although I normally don't care for science fiction unless it's time travel, then I usually love it!🐱
Deborah Wysinger
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story.
Gail
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, like the characters including all the animals!
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
way too much detail about fox hunting, which is too pompous for me. But the plot was entertaining
Kristin Brown
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horse, fiction
Not quite the mystery of the first one, this was still an enjoyable and quick read.
Michele bookloverforever
Magnificent mystery
Marsha Valance
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series. One of my 17 best mysteries read in 2002.
Michelle
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

Love the story. It's captivating and exciting to see the harmony with nature and creatures while solving mysteries. Definitely reading more
Joyce
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
As usual I have enjoyed reading a sister Jane Book. I recommend them to animal lovers too.
Amber
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Very nice series progression. Miss Brown continues the reader's education on foxhunting while giving us THREE new murders to solve. And when the murderer was revealed I was surprised but my guess had been close. I have to complain about the author not paying close enough attention to her animal characters, in the previous book Aztec was a mare and in this one she is a gelding? Ugh! That and I think she forgot that Doug is supposed to be a part of Jefferson Hunt as described in Peter Wheeler's ...more
Kathy
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Probably 1 and a half stars for me, but I was able to skim through this book quickly on a noisy train ride so I'm glad it wasn't the kind of book I normally respond to. This one is for fans of foxhunting US style, but also fans of animals with great enough insight that they talk to each other philosophically. Argh! I had never heard of author until I visited library the other day and the author was speaking there that day. Thus...I did give her a try, but won't revisit this series. Perhaps the ...more
Jana
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this book which is the second in the series only because this was the book actually assigned by my bookclub. I would actually give this book between two-three stars but that is because I enjoyed it more than the first book. I think that is because I already had a basic knowledge of fox hunting from the first book, the book went faster, the murder happened early and had a much more interesting story, and much to my surprise I am actually invested in the characters now. Someday I might ...more
George
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
#2 in the Sister Jane, Virginia fox hunting mystery series. The title comes from the character in Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 1 play, so there are several references to the play that help Sister Jane unravel the mystery. In this novel, two deaths from 20 years previous influence the actions and events of the story along with a new murder. A very good story with a lot of fox hunting information thrown in and a supporting cast of good characters. A different aspect to these stories are the ...more
Brian
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at Half Priced Books on a lark. I knew very little about foxhunting but I enjoy books about horses and people who ride so I gave it a chance. It turned out to be a really nice decision.

After 20 years a body is discover buried on the hunting grounds of the Jefferson Hunt Club. The body belongs to Nola Bancroft who disappeared, along with boyfriend Guy Ramy. This discovery sets the who hunt club into a spin and secrets are revealed one after the other until the thrilling
Rose
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just discovered this author. I'm really enjoying it and am learning so muhch about American fox hunting as opposed to the sport in England. Ms. Brown is a good writer; each book develops the characters more, and "Sister" Jane Arnold becomes more interesting to me. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. I love the way we hear the animal's thoughts and conversations with each other.
Becky Galambos
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Original read March 2012 - Excellent series. Very glad that she has a glossary for those of us who are not familiar with foxhunting. Just wish it was in the front so we'd find it before we finished the book...

2014- still very good and easier to follow now that I am getting the hang of foxhunting speak.

2016 - Same as 2014, except now I know all the characters in the series very well and can pick up on things I didn't before.
Eyehavenofilter
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sister and her maddening group are at it again. Murder most foul, if you count the horse dung, or the behavior of the rich and obnoxious, at the Hunt club. But don't count Sister out yet. She 's a clever old broad, and sh knows her people.
From the top of the food chain to the bottom of the barrel. But just because some one is poor doesn't make them guilty of murder?
R.E. Conary
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
It was hard to decide if "I liked it" (3-stars) or if it was 'Just OK" (2-stars). I liked the major character, Sister (Jane Arnold). She's bright and sarcastic and puts up with a lot. But for the most part the story was pretty pedestrian and lacked the drive and passion of Brown's "Ruby Fruit Jungle."
Kristal
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I like the author's writing style. You see things from the people's perspective and also the animals. This book is quite similar to the first book. I am worried that the books will follow the same plot/story each time. I'm going to try the third book in the series and hope for something just a bit different to make me really glad that I kept reading this series.
Tomi
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I learned a lot about fox hunting...but there were many times when I felt like I needed to know more before I read...it would have been nice to have the glossary in the front of th book, where I would have noticed it before I finished the book. The neatest part was having the animals as characters - I enjoyed their conversations with each other!
zoomdoggies
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Horses, foxhounds, beautiful scenery, and people living a lifestyle I could never afford in a million years what's not to like? Sister Jane is the person I want to be when I grow up.

Although I found the climax pretty unlikely, it was still an engaging read. I know I'll come back and read more in this series.
Marion
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Joylynne
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Funny and witty mystery novel. Very light, but good read. As an animal lover, enjoyed how the animals interacted too.

Sometimes it was silly, but good to the last page. I plan on reading others by Brown.

• Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Hounds of the Basket Stitch
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • Lark! The Herald Angels Sing (Meg Langslow, #24)
  • A Very Mummy Holiday (Tourist Trap Mysteries #9.5)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • The Other's Gold
  • Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #18)
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow, #20)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #17)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold
  • Midnight in Austenland (Austenland, #2)
  • The Peppermint Tea Chronicles (44 Scotland Street, #13)
  • The Revisioners
  • Careless Whiskers (Cat in the Stacks #12)
  • Silent Night, Deadly Night (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #4)
  • Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane #8)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)
  • Homeward Hound ("Sister" Jane, #11)