Start by marking “Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)” as Want to Read:
Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)

Murder, She Meowed

(Mrs. Murphy #5)

an alternate cover edition can be found here

The annual steeplechase races at Montpelier, once the home of James and Dolley Madison, are the high point in the social calendar of the horse-mad Virginians of cozy Crozet. The race meet offers a cracking good time with old friends and a chance to get evenon the racecoursewith old enemies. Postmistress Mary Minor "Harry"
Published November 3rd 1997 by Bantam (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Murder, She Meowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder, She Meowed

Start your review of Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
Jo
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay; not really a favorite.
Tari
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-audio
I'm actually reviewing the audio version of this book which I listened to over the course of about a week (give or take) while sewing for craft shows. I had never read any of this series, but I really enjoyed hearing it narrated. The animals talking to each other about the murder was such a fun addition. I'm not sure if I would have appreciated it as much or been as entertained had I simply read it, but hearing the various cats, mice, horses and Tucker, the Corgi talk to one another was so much ...more
Christine (KizzieReads)
This was cute as always. The animals were a bit high handed in this one, but it was okay. Sometimes cozy mysteries are very easy to figure out who is the bad guy, and sometimes it comes out of left field. I had an inkling as to who it was, then I would change my mind, but yeah, it was who I thought. Still was interesting though, as I've never really read a book involving horse racing.
Randee
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is now five for five. Among my many reading goals, one is to read all the books in the 'Mrs. Murphy" series in chronological order. This story was especially good (although I've liked the previous four) or I am becoming more and more vested in Mrs. Murphy, Tucker, Pewter and their friends with each book. It would be hard not to be more entertained as I get to know them and their adventures better. What I truly enjoy about this series is the banter between the animals. They are quite the ...more
Lois Keller
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
You know how people are always looking for a light hearted read after a depressing and intellectually challenging book? This is the PERFECT (or should I say, PURRFECT) book for those situations.

There isn't a whole lot of depth to this book, and the logical train of the thought gets derailed in the first chapter. You'll often find yourself reading about random tidbits here and there that are completely irrelevant; i.e. certain characters cooking abilities, interjections by the animals, and many
Debra Scott
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent cozy mystery. Didnt figure it out. Love the voices of the animals. ...more
Oceana2602
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok, I'm going to do a standard review for the rest of the Mrs. Murphy books I read, because I really can't think of something smart to say about every single one of them. Actually, it's hard to come up with something smart to say about any one of them, because they are not really smart books.

Though, no, that's not true. They aren't trivial as such, they aren't too easy - or, in other words, they don't hurt my brain while I read them. But I think we can all agree that they are also not "great
Peggy
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delightful read. And Rita Mae Brown's characters come to life on the page. As usual it is up to the animals to steer the humans in the right direction to solve these murders. The backdrop is a a Steeples chase. Also, something was mysteriously buried in one of the horse stalls. When Ms Murphy and her owner Mary Harristien (Harry for short) get tangled up in the murders, well you know you are in for a ride. The writing is very colorful and the characters believable-but what makes ...more
James
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for the dead body books and this one was unique. You get to try and solve the mystery with the help of the assorted animals and it really works. My first but not my last.
Trish
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep forgetting how much fun this series is. And I'm sure the animals are getting sassier.
Skye
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great jumping back into the Mrs. Murphy series after about a year away.
I was a little turned off at first because of how in-depth the horse and steeplechase lingo and facts got, but as that was the entire setting, it quickly wore off as the excellent characters and mystery picked up speed. It took me a week to read this, usually during my lunch hour, but on this seventh day, I marathoned about half of it.

What I love about these books are how quick the pacing is and I'm glued to keep
Jenevieve
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Review first posted on My Blog.

It's the day of the annual steeplechase and Mary 'Harry' Haristeen is enjoying helping down at the track with her dog, Tucker. It's a day that the entire town looks forward to and the races this day are good, except for an altercation between two of the jockeys during one race where Linda whips at Nigel and he retaliates. Harry dutifully reports it but no one thinks anything further about it, until Nigel is found dead later that night, stabbed through the heart
Shelly
Lindsey
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another delightful title in the Mrs. Murphy series, and I enjoyed it as much as the first four. I especially liked the details of steeplechasing in this novel, of which I knew nothing before, and so it was neat to learn about the dramas and illegalities that can go along with the sport.

The characters continue to evolve and their relationships among one another are constantly changing and growing. In this title, the saucy Boom Boom Craycroft, a widow and once-lover of Harry's ex-husband
Lora Shouse
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a re-read for me. But reading about Harry Harristeen and her friends and pets is always interesting, even the second time around.

This time there has been a murder following the Montpelier Steeplechase event. One of the jockeys is found at the end of the day in one of the horse barns with a knife in his chest, plunged through a playing card.

There are a lot of possible connections. He owed money. He did drugs. There was his girlfriend, another jockey who was also an heiress about to
Rob Smith, Jr.
As I was heading to volunteer for three days of Kitty Con II in Tampa, Florida, i pushed myself to read one of this series. After reading a series of books I liked, the contrast i found with this one told me I really didn't care for this book.

The worse part of this book, and I don't know if this is true of the series, is that all of the chjaracters have multiple names. Unfortunately, author Brown interchanges the names throughout, making following the tale very difficult. Oddly, a cast of
Jae
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone in Crozet is excited about the upcoming steeplechase races. However, the murder of one of the jockeys puts a damper on things. As speculation runs wild, another jockey is murdered in a similar fashion. The police are at a loss as to who is committing murder in the sleepy little town of Crozet. However, Mrs Murphy is on the case. She enlists the aid of other animals in the area, including cats, horses, and even mice. Harry puts her own sleuthing skills to work, and she unearths a clue ...more
Lisa
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The beginning was a bit slow for me, as I'm not that interested in horse racing, but when the murders started and then the first clues - I was hooked! A very suspenseful book. I liked the chapters where the animals (primarily cats and dogs) do some digging (pun intended) on their own, but I would've liked if there was a bit more 'interaction' between the humans trying to solve the murders and the animals, instead of the animals trying to get the human's attention and getting ignored. There are ...more
Aprilleigh
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the last one, and this time, even though I had the murderer down to two possibilities pretty quickly (I suspect this was by design) I wasn't certain which one it was until just before the big reveal. I was disappointed in the ending because it seemed a little forced to me. It just doesn't seem likely that a person with his background and training would lose his cool over a confrontation with someone who had neither a badge nor, as far as he knew, proof. It was a little too pat, ...more
Nancy H
Another in the series featuring Mary "Harry" Haristeen, her cat Mrs. Murphy, and her dog Tucker, this story has them solving the murder of a jockey following a very important race held at the former home of James and Dolly Madison. There are lots of suspects and lots of clues, and in solving this mystery, the intrepid trio also solves an earlier murder that had remained unsolved for years. It is a very satisfying read that will resonate with animal lovers.
Jennifer Morefield
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I totally enjoyed listening to this quirky, little, light mystery. It was fun and different. I am a huge fan of animals and love the part both pets and wild animals played in the story. I love that the animals communicated w/each other. I enjoyed it all playing out among horse racing. It was just a delightful little mystery. Next time I find one of these Mrs. Murphy books on sale, I am definitely getting it and con't w/this series. I really liked it and am happy I gave this series a try!
Juliane
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The books get better and better. So far one of my favorites. Very compelling story, that made me finish the book super fast. I could not guess who it was up until the end. I caught myself more than once thinking about who might be the murder during the day. Maybe a little too many details about steeplechases, but nevertheless a great book!
Shannon
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
A little boring. None of the characters were very interesting. Addie and her problems were somewhat captivating, but I feel like the amount of attention she should have gotten was diminished and shifted over to the drug dealing. Nobody else had much character development. The most we got was BoomBoom trying to find herself and help Harry as well.
Lea
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a nice, cozy mystery. Theres a lot of fluffy extra that made the book drag a bit. The animals talking - but the people not understanding them - was a bit distracting but after I got use to it added to the charm. The mystery itself was good, I didnt figure it out until near the end which is always nice. I would read more in this series. ...more
Shelly
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a nice light read. Think will try to pick up the other books for this series. It's interesting to read the two different conversations, one by the humans and the other by the animals. I liked the little bio of the cast of characters at the beginning of the book also, it helped to be able to jump into the story knowing how everyone relates to the other.
Melissa
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cats, dogs
The usual cast of characters is back in this next book in the series. When a jockey is killed at the steeplechase race, Harry, Mrs. Murphy, and Tucker lend the sheriff a hand in solving the mystery...after a few more people die along the way. Recommended.
Beth
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am liking these more and more (I know, I know. VERY late to the party! But hey - there's so much fun to catch up on!).

I like her ruminations, digressions, and of course the POV from cats, dogs, and this time, horses, mice, and a heron! So fun, and yet, keeps me guessing.
karen wendt
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book by Rita Mae.
Ashley Barnes
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
My favorite so far. But being from Orange near Montpelier Im partial! Great story weaving. ...more
Terralyn Brown Barfield
4 Stars. I love the human and animal characters in this series and Im very picky when they have speaking parts in particular. A fun read. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Smelled a Rat (Cat Who... #23)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Straight
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • The Cat Who Saw Stars (Cat Who... #21)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
  • Merry, Merry Ghost (Bailey Ruth, #2)
  • The Cat Who Went Up the Creek (Cat Who... #24)
  • Christmas Sweets (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18.5)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Murder, Served Simply (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #3)
  • Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3)
  • Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Cat Who... #20)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)

News & Interviews