Start by marking “Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)

Murder on the Prowl

(Mrs. Murphy #6)

an alternate cover edition can be found here

As the principal of St. Elizabeth's, an exclusive private school that caters to Crozet, Virginia's, best families, Roscoe Fletcher has proven himself to be a highly effective and vastly popular administrator. So when his obituary appears in the local paper, everyone in town is upset. Yet nothing compares to the shock they feel
Published February 2nd 1999 by Bantam (first published April 1st 1998)

Start your review of Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
Saar The Book owl
It's a straight-forward story and not too complicated or boring. There is enough interaction of the characters and the settings. It's a light read with likable characters and creative storylines.
The author makes you fall in love with the characters, not only the familiar ones, but also the new ones.
It was a good story with a proper mystery, just the way I like it.
Lindsay Endell
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, keep, re-read
Once again, a good story with a proper mystery. Sadly, there few clues to what was actually going on: one v slim final chapter in which something never previously mentioned turned out to be the cause of the mystery. Shame, because these are usually well thought out, with just enough clues that help you figure things out if you're concentrating!
Oceana2602
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok, I'm going to do a standard review for the rest of the Mrs. Murphy books I read, because I really can't think of something smart to say about every single one of them. Actually, it's hard to come up with something smart to say about any one of them, because they are not really smart books.

Though, no, that's not true. They aren't trivial as such, they aren't too easy - or, in other words, they don't hurt my brain while I read them. But I think we can all agree that they are also not "great
Catherine
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love Mrs Murphy. As a mystery, I found few clues that lead to the murder. The characters are becoming familiar. The sad part was involving school age kids. Just glad the animals are so smart.
Christyn
When I want a little mindless mystery filled with cozy characters and an intelligent mystery-solving animal (and human) cast I come to Mrs. Murphy series. There is no real thinking involved, I figured out the whodunit before they finished doing everything they did (and less than halfway through the book). So while not the most elaborate mystery it is still a fun read. I say this mostly because of Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter - the animal cast. Implausible though they are, I love 'em. Their ...more
Laurel Bradshaw
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a review. These notes are for my own reference and may contain spoilers!

Reread on audio.

Opens in late September.
Centers around Susan Tucker's daughter, Brooks, and her classmates at St. Elizabeth private school. Brooks is 15.

Tee Tucker, Mrs. Murphy, and Pewter all have a significant role in this book. More interaction among the animals than in previous books.

Regulars:
Harry, Fair, Mrs. Hogendobber, Susan Tucker, Brooks, Big Mim, Little Marilyn, Boom Boom, Rev. Jones, Cynthia and Rick
George
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Another in the "Harry" Haristeen Crozet, Virginia mystery series. The background setting is a private school in the town with a number of related staff problems along with problems among the student in relationships. Harry, with her two cats and Welsh corgi are in the middle of an investigation regarding two murders as well as unraveling the various personal relationship problems affecting several characters.
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Someone is placing obituaries in the newspaper for proplr who are still living. Then they are murdered shortly afterwards. The story development is slow and the numerous conversations between animals is distracting and not related.
Lindsey
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in 2 days because I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to put it down. These cozy mysteries are fun, light reads with likable characters and creative storylines. This installment in the Mrs. Murphy series actually dabbled in some pretty sketchy topics not previously explored (no spoilers here), and the ending was a little bit dark. Granted, these books are about murders, but this one had some real-life, hard-hitting issues that came up in addition to the murders of St. Elizabeth's ...more
Skye
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, this time around, I don't have much time to write a proper review as I have in the past but there are some points I want to touch on for why I enjoyed this book so much.
There is not a whole lot in the way of action in this book. There are lacrosse games and drama of obituaries and two murders, but they are so quick and the real action in this book is the cat and mouse process of elimination.

The best part about this book is the character development. I loved the dialogue and find
Jae
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the local paper prints the obit of a popular high school headmaster, the entire town of Crozet is shocked...including the headmaster himself. Was it a joke or a threat? A second phony obituary appears shortly thereafter, leaving the entire town buzzing. However, when the obits are followed by murder, no one is laughing anymore.

As postmistress, Harry is in a unique position to hear the latest scuttlebutt and gossip, and she can't help but think the deaths are related and that they have
Shannon
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the plot. The teens at St. Elizabeth's were interesting and fun. It was also a compelling mystery. (view spoiler) The only thing keeping this from a four-star rating from me was the parts with Fair. Again, I don't think Harry necessarily belongs with anyone else, but Fair has no character besides his regret about cheating on Harry. As an reader, I don't know ...more
Grandma Mush
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy Rita Mae Brown. I am not as keen on all the animal stuff so I just skip a lot but when they are working at solving the murders I try to think of them as human characters . Kept me guessing at the murderer. Not sure I agree with the choice. Can't say more cause I wouldn't want to give it away.
Ewa
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will admit - I'm not a huge fan of talking animals and I had to convince myself to keep reading this book (when I bought it I wasn't aware I would follow talking pets). Fortunately once I accepted this narration - I enjoyed this book. Mystery was OK, I liked the main characters (including animals of course). I will give other books from the series a try in the future.
Joanne Murphy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the characters in this book, dogs and cats and mice and fox and horses..all chatting to each other. Humans not understanding any of it, except when the animals start putting action to their methods. Fun read.
Bookwormie
Predictable. I knew who the murderer was fairly early on, which is always disappointing in a mystery novel. I also am not sure about the animals playing a part. It was odd and sometimes a little disjointed. I don't think I will be reading anymore of this series.
Juliane
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not like this book as much as the last two. It took me more than half of the book to really get into it, identify with the characters and get drawn into the story. The book made up for it with an exciting finish. I had no idea, who the killer was!
Theresa Hall
Not as Good as Previous Books

The story is a slow read for almost over half the book. Only picks up towards the end. The killer is too easy to figure out.
Karen Newby
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it!!
Terralyn Brown Barfield
3 1/2-4 Stars. I really enjoy these characters, and Im pretty picky. 😉 ...more
Kacey
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its safe to say that I absolutely adore this series (hence the recent binge read on the series) on to book 7!! ...more
Ashley Barnes
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well that was a shocking and somewhat disturbing end. But hey, keeps it fresh.
Christine (KizzieReads)
I absolutely love this series! The animals are wonderful and the humans are as well!
Karen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A good twist on the murder this time. Kept me guessing. Murphy rocks.
Hayley Williamson
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, library, cozies
The mystery itself was good, but it switched POVs so much that it got kind of confusing/annoying.
Fred Nachbrunn
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A challenging WHO done it mystery

If you like a great who done it mystery book this is you're goal found.
Try to solve the mystery.
Amy Webster-Bo
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love her mysteries, she always keeps u guessing until the last min
Randee
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working my way through this series chronologically and it's so much fun! Number 6 is another winner in both the mystery and the amusing antics/conversations between the animals. On to the 7th!
Rose
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Plug n play - yawn
Lugene Lancaster
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one leaves you hanging till the last few pages. A lot more investigating by the animals as they solve the crimes and try to lay hints for their humans.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Cat Who Saw Stars (Cat Who... #21)
  • The King's Justice (Maggie Hope Mystery #9)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Wasn't There (Cat Who..., #14)
  • The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
  • The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who... #12)
  • The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17)
  • The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who... #25)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (Cat Who..., #29)
  • Careless Whiskers (Cat in the Stacks #12)
  • A Gift of Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #19)
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Cat Who... #20)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)