Start by marking “Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)

Murder on the Prowl

(Mrs. Murphy #6)

As the principal of St. Elizabeth's, an exclusive private school that caters to Crozet, Virginia's, best families, Roscoe Fletcher has proven himself to be a highly effective and vastly popular administrator. So when his obituary appears in the local paper, everyone in town is upset. Yet nothing compares to the shock they feel when they discover that Roscoe Fletcher isn't ...more
Published February 2nd 1999 by Bantam (first published April 1st 1998)

Saar The Book owl
It's a straight-forward story and not too complicated or boring. There is enough interaction of the characters and the settings. It's a light read with likable characters and creative storylines.
The author makes you fall in love with the characters, not only the familiar ones, but also the new ones.
It was a good story with a proper mystery, just the way I like it.
Lindsay Endell
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, keep, re-read
Once again, a good story with a proper mystery. Sadly, there few clues to what was actually going on: one v slim final chapter in which something never previously mentioned turned out to be the cause of the mystery. Shame, because these are usually well thought out, with just enough clues that help you figure things out if you're concentrating!
Oceana2602
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok, I'm going to do a standard review for the rest of the Mrs. Murphy books I read, because I really can't think of something smart to say about every single one of them. Actually, it's hard to come up with something smart to say about any one of them, because they are not really smart books.

Though, no, that's not true. They aren't trivial as such, they aren't too easy - or, in other words, they don't hurt my brain while I read them. But I think we can all agree that they are also not "great li
Catherine
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love Mrs Murphy. As a mystery, I found few clues that lead to the murder. The characters are becoming familiar. The sad part was involving school age kids. Just glad the animals are so smart.
Christyn
When I want a little mindless mystery filled with cozy characters and an intelligent mystery-solving animal (and human) cast I come to Mrs. Murphy series. There is no real thinking involved, I figured out the whodunit before they finished doing everything they did (and less than halfway through the book). So while not the most elaborate mystery it is still a fun read. I say this mostly because of Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter - the animal cast. Implausible though they are, I love 'em. Their int ...more
Laurel Bradshaw
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a review. These notes are for my own reference and may contain spoilers!

Reread on audio.

Opens in late September.
Centers around Susan Tucker's daughter, Brooks, and her classmates at St. Elizabeth private school. Brooks is 15.

Tee Tucker, Mrs. Murphy, and Pewter all have a significant role in this book. More interaction among the animals than in previous books.

Regulars:
Harry, Fair, Mrs. Hogendobber, Susan Tucker, Brooks, Big Mim, Little Marilyn, Boom Boom, Rev. Jones, Cynthia and Rick (police
George
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Another in the "Harry" Haristeen Crozet, Virginia mystery series. The background setting is a private school in the town with a number of related staff problems along with problems among the student in relationships. Harry, with her two cats and Welsh corgi are in the middle of an investigation regarding two murders as well as unraveling the various personal relationship problems affecting several characters.
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Someone is placing obituaries in the newspaper for proplr who are still living. Then they are murdered shortly afterwards. The story development is slow and the numerous conversations between animals is distracting and not related.
Lindsey
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in 2 days because I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to put it down. These cozy mysteries are fun, light reads with likable characters and creative storylines. This installment in the Mrs. Murphy series actually dabbled in some pretty sketchy topics not previously explored (no spoilers here), and the ending was a little bit dark. Granted, these books are about murders, but this one had some real-life, hard-hitting issues that came up in addition to the murders of St. Elizabeth's ...more
Jae
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the local paper prints the obit of a popular high school headmaster, the entire town of Crozet is shocked...including the headmaster himself. Was it a joke or a threat? A second phony obituary appears shortly thereafter, leaving the entire town buzzing. However, when the obits are followed by murder, no one is laughing anymore.

As postmistress, Harry is in a unique position to hear the latest scuttlebutt and gossip, and she can't help but think the deaths are related and that they have some
Morven
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first book of the series that I've read, so I don't have the backstory or really know "Harry," but it kept my interest and I wasn't totally lost, which is why I'm giving it four stars. I wish Audible had a 3.5 because that's what I'd probably give it because I wasn't quite satisfied with the way the mystery was wrapped up. Maybe I would have liked it better if I read the series starting with book #1, though, which is why I gave it a 4 and not a 3.

Another reason I bumped it up is beca
Grandma Mush
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy Rita Mae Brown. I am not as keen on all the animal stuff so I just skip a lot but when they are working at solving the murders I try to think of them as human characters . Kept me guessing at the murderer. Not sure I agree with the choice. Can't say more cause I wouldn't want to give it away.
Ewa
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will admit - I'm not a huge fan of talking animals and I had to convince myself to keep reading this book (when I bought it I wasn't aware I would follow talking pets). Fortunately once I accepted this narration - I enjoyed this book. Mystery was OK, I liked the main characters (including animals of course). I will give other books from the series a try in the future.
Joanne Murphy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the characters in this book, dogs and cats and mice and fox and horses..all chatting to each other. Humans not understanding any of it, except when the animals start putting action to their methods. Fun read.
Karen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A good twist on the murder this time. Kept me guessing. Murphy rocks.
Tara
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
This isn’t my favorite of these mysteries but it’s ok. I really like the continuing characters in this series though. I like how their characters are developing.
Karen Newby
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it!!
Amy Webster-Bo
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love her mysteries, she always keeps u guessing until the last min
Lugene Lancaster
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one leaves you hanging till the last few pages. A lot more investigating by the animals as they solve the crimes and try to lay hints for their humans.
Terralyn Brown Barfield
3 1/2-4 Stars. I really enjoy these characters, and I’m pretty picky. 😉
Randee
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working my way through this series chronologically and it's so much fun! Number 6 is another winner in both the mystery and the amusing antics/conversations between the animals. On to the 7th!
Fred Nachbrunn
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A challenging WHO done it mystery

If you like a great who done it mystery book this is you're goal found.
Try to solve the mystery.
Theresa Hall
Not as Good as Previous Books

The story is a slow read for almost over half the book. Only picks up towards the end. The killer is too easy to figure out.
Heather
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
pretty good. this one was kinda easy to figure out who did it. Mrs. Murphy seems to get smarter in this one.
Ashley
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
This is the first Mrs. Murphy mystery I have read and it was really fun! I think you can start at any book in the series as they seem mostly self contained and any items that carry over are introduced in the plot. But because of that you might get some spoilers for previous books.

The novel centers on a smallish town in Virginia with the main character being the postmistress Mary Minor Harristeen, called Harry. One day an obituary appears in the town paper for the headmaster of the prestigious St
KathleenB
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I was in a used bookstore and I randomly picked up Murder on the Prowl. I was expecting something like Lillian Jackson Braun’s The Cat Who series, which I loved. Boy was I wrong. The similarities are a rather cranky-snarky protagonist with a powerful independence streak who encounters a lot of murders and ends up solving them with some help from friends and pets. The differences are many, but this isn’t bad. First of all, the main character is the postmistress Harry Haristeen (female) and not a ...more
Rosa Cline
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
As all of the Mrs Murphy Mysteries I enjoyed this book. I actually listened to it on CD and the person that read it did a good job with changing her tone and voice for the characters and situations in the story. AND she is the same one for all (well all the ones I've listened to thus far) the books. So you can get used to a certain voice for a certain character.

These are mysteries about someone getting murdered and a 'in the wrong place at the wrong time' postmistress and her four legged family
Rosa Cline
4 star

Molly Cline
4 star

Chazzi
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When a phony obituary for the local headmaster of the elite St. Elizabeth private school is published in the local paper, people are shocked. When it is found to be a prank by one of the students things calm down a bit. When a second phony obituary for another citizen of Crozet is inserted in the paper people think it is another prank. The real scare starts when people start turning up murdered. Was it really a prank or was there some serious planning going on?

While Postmistress Harry Harristeen
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Cat Who... #20)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” 0 likes
“Humans are fundamentally irrational. They use what precious rationality they have justifying their irrational behavior. A” 0 likes