Start by marking “Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)

Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton #3)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  296 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
As a Visiting Nurse in New York City, Sue moves into a supposedly haunted house with Kit, meets "ghost" Marianna and a variety of needy patients, attends Connie's wedding, and breaks her engagement to Bill.
Published January 1st 1938

To ask other readers questions about Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse

Beth
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good piece of my enjoyment of this book is nostalgia, I know. (Along with a recognition of where I got writing habits, like the dash. All over early 1900s literature, British and American alike.) This is not a great work. But:
There were only general impressions at first: the black line of tenement roofs against the sky; the sharp cold of the February wind; the smell of sea and smoke; hallways with plaster peeling from the walls; dark flights of shaking stairs; grimy doors; a smell of cabbages
chucklesthescot
Sue and Kit are both excited to be accepted at the famous Henry Street Nursing Service in New York, where they will become Visiting nurses.. Their joy is tinged with sadness that Connie will not be with them, as she gives up nursing to prepare for her wedding to Phil. Add in that they are staying in a haunted house and things are not going to be dull.

This book was a complete departure from the other books in the series. The girls are working as visiting nurses, going out into New York to make ho
Annie
Oct 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nursing enthusiasts, those who enjoy books about professions
This book is really long on descriptions of the everyday lives of nurses in NYC in the 1940s. I mean, down to the brass tacks. The "action" (I use that word under advisement) is periodically sidelined when Nurse Barton and her colleagues provide exposition about nursing procedure. In this book, we learn that nurses carried their own bags with everything they need, but when they enter a home, they must ask for newspaper to provide a "sterile" surface for their instruments.

There are lots of descri
Dani
Oct 18, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who like vintage pulp and romances
Shelves: part-of-a-series
Blurb: In this installment of the series, Sue Barton has graduated from her nursing program and has been accepted as one of the famous Henry Street nurses in NYC. She loves her job, but will she choose it over marriage to Dr. Bill Barry?

I'm not sure what age group this book was intended for when it was published in 1938, but I imagine that it gave young girls a good idea of what public nursing was about. I know that it drove me to find out more about Lillian Wald and the real Henry Street progra
Vass
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, medical
I liked the Henry Street details. I was particularly interested in how Sue and Kit graciously favoured the inhabitants of Harlem with the benefits of their class and skin colour - and, OK, with Sue's dilemma of marriage versus work. (It makes me *furious* that Connie chose marriage right away versus her dream of being an anaesthesiologist. She would have loved that so much. What a waste.) I thought Sue and Bill's argument was a bit contrived, as if the author was theorising beyond her knowledge ...more
Cera
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grazed
I honestly can't remember if I finished this one -- I thought I hadn't read it at all, but the details in the reviews look familiar, so maybe I did?

Yes, yes, I did read this. And it was my favourite of the series; yes, the stereotypes of immigrants are cringe-inducing, but Boylston really is trying to portray them sympathetically, so I am a little forgiving.
Emily
I have long since finished my Sue Barton reading project, but for some reason, my review writing stalled on this one. Personal circumstances had something to do with it, but the main reason is that I had a variety of somewhat conflicting reactions to this one, so it was hard to organize my thoughts.

In this third installment of the series, Sue and her friend Kit, having graduated from nursing school, move to New York where they work as visiting nurses for the Henry Street Settlement, which was in
Rebecca
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of my favorite of the books. I read some of the comments that complain about the technical aspects of the book and the explanations of nursing procedure (as it was in the '30s, at least). But I found it fascinating, and I enjoyed reading about the difficulties of implementing techniques in places that weren't designed for them. Of course, again, lots of it is outdated (newspapers are sterile? Really? Because I've delivered papers and they are filthy), and some of the things ...more
Kristin
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
Thanks to Megan H for the recommendation. What an interesting snapshot in time...a visiting nurse in NYC in the 30s. We learn about nursing procedures, neighborhood conditions, cultures, and public health issues...all set against the backdrop of the career-marriage tension experienced by women of this day.

From teaching how to discipline children to facilitating an elderly lady's desire to travel before she dies, Sue Barton does it all. Part social worker, part nurse and part friend, each chapter
Maria Elmvang
This used to be my favourite of the series, but I've had to downgrade the rating somewhat. I still absolutely I love reading about Sue's work in the streets of New York and how she has to be imaginative and think up solutions to problems she'd never have met at the hospital, but the older I get, the more the disagreement between her and Bill annoys me. I am completely on Sue's side and found Bill totally unreasonable, which made the end somewhat less than satisfying... especially as it's rather ...more
Shannon
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes this book is old-fashioned but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be good!!! I loved this book. I liked all of the descriptions of the different charactors and I loved the little bit of excitement put into parts of the book. Some parts of the book were hilarious and some were sad but overall it was a fantastic book and I give it a 5+.
Trine
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, own, danish, 2010
As the other Sue Barton books this gives a delightful picture of life as a visiting nurse in New York in the time around WW2. And though a lot of it must be outdated it is still captivating and interesting.
Camilla
Enforced my young dream of becoming a nurse
Jeanne
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third in the series. Kit and Sue head to New York to become nurses for the Henry Street Nurses Association. They rent a "haunted" house and have many adventures, some of which are perilous and some of which are amusing. Towards the end, Sue and Bill have a big argument and break up. Will they get back together? Of course they will!
Shelley
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, historical, vintage, nyc
Sue and Kit have finished school and moved to New York to become Henry Street nurses, making the rounds of house visits to help people who can't afford hospitals and many other services/necessities/etc. It's so idealistic, I found myself wanting to become a Henry Street nurse, just to be able to do the good the girls did!!

I loved the glimpses of the neighborhoods and families, from the East Side to Harlem, and seeing what these services (finding friends for Mrs Crasniki, OMG) meant to these peop
Deborah
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover appears to show Sue working in 1970s Birmingham rather than 1930s New York but set that aside, this is a super story. It's not the same without Connie, of course, but Kit and Sue soon adopt Marianne, and there are plenty of entertaining tales of life nursing in the streets of the New York slums.

The book is casually racist, reflecting its era ('You'll just love working with coloured people, they're so willing to learn') so it's also worth reading just to see how we've all moved on since
Audrey
I think my favorite part of this book was the witty dialogue between Sue and Kit—it was like something out of a fast-talking '30s movie! The mystery angle was pretty fun, too, and I liked how Sue and Kit kept their cool and figured it out.

I loved learning a little more about the Henry Street nurses, and I enjoyed following Sue along to all her cases. There is some racial stereotyping, but the author seems like she is trying to write sympathetically and without prejudice. I think that some of the
Veronica
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The problem with this book is the dry-I'm-not-going-to-cry-but-it's-just-so-good feeling you get in the back of your throat - SEVERAL TIMES. I know that's a cheesy review but It's far from a serious read. Love this whole series but I cant give the other 6 books 5 stars like this one. I first read this book at about 13 and most recently received the series for my 27th birthday and still love it!
Deborah
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in high school I discovered the Sue Barton series. I read them all and loved them. Now, 40 years later I am thrilled to see they have been re-released. I have the set of seven and still love them. While Sue Barton made me want to be a nurse, I did not go into that field.
Betty Jane
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this series probably in 1962. I found it again and bought all 6 books in paper back. Reading this makes me want to go be a Visiting Nurse! It sure brought back memories of when I first read it and of Nursing School and my first job!
Virginia Messina
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The third in the series, this book finds Sue working for New York City’s Henry Street Settlement in the late 1920s or early ‘30s. Despite it’s appalling ending, I loved this book. It was an intriguing look at life and nursing in the neighborhoods of the Lower East Side and Harlem.
Anne Federwisch
Obviously a quick read, since I finished it in a day.

Not stellar in terms of writing, but an interesting read. It piqued my interest in the Henry Street nurses--more social workers than nurses, it seems, but I guess that's public health nursing. Onto book four!
Thomas Schubert
Ich habe ein Buch bei BookCrossing.com registriert!
Astrid Johanne
Piger i gråt er ligeså fantastisk som de to foregående bøger. Jeg bliver i godt humør af at læse piger i gråt, og kunne ikke ligge den fra mig, fordi jeg var så forsybet.
Anne B.
Apr 08, 2009
Heather
Jan 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cherry Ames, Flight Nurse (Cherry Ames, #5)
  • Meet the Malones
  • The Rosary
  • Glory in the Flower (Keeping Days, #2)
  • Min ven Thomas
  • Across the Miles: Tales of Correspondence
  • Dandelion Cottage (Dandelion Cottage, #1)
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • Amy Moves In
  • The Pink Motel
  • The Rilloby Fair Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #2)
  • Thereses tilstand (Therese, #1)
  • Light a Single Candle
An only child, Helen Dore Boylston attended Portsmouth public schools and trained as a nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. Two days after graduating, she joined the Harvard medical unit that had been formed to serve with the British Army. After the war, she missed the comradeship, intense effort, and mutual dependence of people upon one another when under pressure, and joined the Red Cross to ...more
More about Helen Dore Boylston...

Sue Barton (7 books)
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • Sue Barton, Senior Nurse (Sue Barton, #2)
  • Sue Barton, Rural Nurse (Sue Barton, #4)
  • Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton, #5)
  • Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)
  • Sue Barton, Staff Nurse (Sue Barton #7)