Start by marking “Sour Puss (Mrs. Murphy, #14)” as Want to Read:
Sour Puss (Mrs. Murphy, #14)

Sour Puss

(Mrs. Murphy #14)

Rita Mae Brown and her feline partner-in-crime-detection, Sneaky Pie Brown, return to the scene of their bestselling crimes--picturesque Crozet, Virginia. Love is in the air as spring comes to the small town, but no sooner has Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen remarried than she is rudely interrupted--by murder. And no sooner does the trouble start than curious cats Mrs. Murphy ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sour Puss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sour Puss

Start your review of Sour Puss (Mrs. Murphy, #14)
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well..I started reading some of these Sneaky Pie Brown books again since they were so much fun when they first came out. But wow, this one was really bad. Most of the books are quick and easy murder mysteries with cute comments and quips thrown in from the animals..but not this one.

One of the previous reviewers commented on the fact that the author mentions how she spent a lot of time researching grapes and their diseases, and that's something that's painfully obvious when you read the book. It
Randee
Spoiler ahead....be forewarned.

I have been reading this series in chronological order. I read it because I am entertained by the interaction and conversations of the animals. I will continue to read this series but #14 here has really disappointed me. Big time. The human heroine of this series, Harry, is a very independent, late 30-ish woman who divorced her husband, Fair (that's his name, believe it or not) because he cheated on her. She is portrayed as an intelligent, no nonsense type of
Jan
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read one of these Mrs. Murphy books years ago and for some reason didn't read any more until now. I think I know why. A lot of talking, philosophizing, and politicizing. Not much murder mystery. I listened to the book on a 6 cd set and the first murder didn't take place until disc 4. I like a cozy mystery but there just wasn't enough mystery for me.
Anna
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"As with the previous books in the series, the authors take time to set the scene, refresh our memories of the old characters, and introduce us to the new characters. The action doesn't happen until the penultimate chapter, but Mrs. Murphy fans have come to expect that. We like spending time with our friends and family for a while before we have to get our paws...er...hands dirty with some icky murder. The back story deals with current events and concerns regarding bioterrorism. H5N1 makes a ...more
Lynn
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
After my disappointment with Cat's Eyewitness, I gave Mrs. Murphy another try. I am glad I did. This book was back to the standards I was used to in the series. It does bog down a bit with talk of grape infestations/diseases and theories on different biological weapons, but the narrative was back to the usual easy reading and there was plenty of action involving Harry's animal friends. The animals are the best parts of the book.

I do have wonder about one scene, just because I can't get the
Barbara
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kept waiting for something to happen. Nothing did. Cute concept with critters chatting away. Very likeable cats and dogs. Likeable human characters too but not very well defined. Lots of interesting factoids on wine making and chemical warfare but this does not make a mystery book. Actually all the info was distracting from the 'story' which I admit I gave up on because I simply couldn't find it. First and last Rita Mae Brown book I have attempted. Very disappointing.
Bobbrunn
Oct 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the worst in the series. When the pets sit around and discuss whether they'll be able to get on the bed, or not, because the humans are constantly having sex, it is time to move on to another writer. Like another reviewer, I have not been real happy with the direction the series has taken, because, quite frankly, I feel that the series has gotten lost.
Debbie
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but it did seem to start slower than the others in this series. As always the animals are just great.
Lindsey
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made some ridiculous faces while reading this book, because there are some super-cute moments interspersed with some incredibly sad moments. What a wonderful story! Rita Mae Brown and her co-author Sneaky Pie deliver another delightful title in the Mrs. Murphy series, this one focusing on vineyards, winemaking, and even bioterrorism.

The story begins with the wedding of Harry and her ex-husband Fair, who have reunited after nearly a decade apart. Of course, in typical Crozet fashion, the
Rebecca
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many things are afoot in Crozet, Virginia! Harry and Fair Haristeen have rekindled their romance, and remarried, becoming once again the team that they were, to the delight of everyone in town...or almost everyone! An old flame of Harry's, newly returned to Crozet, is less than happy about this development.

And just when it seems that all will live happily every after, someone murders Professor Vincent Forland, a grape expert. Yes, Virginia, in general, and the area around Crozet, in particular,
Sherry Sharpnack
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be a cute book w/ farm pets narrating The Who-dun-it. The pets were helpful, but the humans arent like able, unless you are into horse-country Virginia society). They are snobby and conservative, w/ way too much political discussion for me in a cozy mystery.

The unpardonable sin is that the first disappearance doesnt occur until 20-25% into the book; the protagonists newly-remarried husband isnt framed for a second murder until 56% into the book, and you have figured out the
Jane Owel
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and engaging

I have read several of Rita Mae Brown's mysteries - both the cat "co-authored" and the hunt themed. I always find them interesting, as her characters are both believable and larger than life. Living as I do in Virginia, I also enjoy the descriptions of nearby areas. Clearly, Ms. Brown is a huge fan of the Charlottesville area.

The talking animals are fun, and I enjoyed the range of animal characters in this book. It's fun to imagine them carrying on their conversations as the
Jeanne  Brewer
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another win for Sneaky Pie

As always, love the interactions among all the critters. The human players, while not nearly as intelligent, proved to be, well, human with all the strengths and weaknesses that implies. Instantly recognizable well-defined main characters dealing with changes brought about by growing grapes for wine-making and learning and growing while doing so make this tale hard to put down before its end. Don't miss this one!
Chris Wiseman
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interested in bugs

I so enjoy when an author gives the animals voices in the story. This book was no exception. I did really like the book, but I felt a little overwhelmed by all the talk of viruses, bacteria and bugs. Though those parts were necessary to the story, I felt they were just a little more detailed than needed. If you like mysteries that deal with murder and possible terror threats, as well as animals, this is a good read.
Jeannine
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Left me sour

Entertaining at times and stuffy at others. Too much time devoted to lectures on bio-chemical warfare, VA wine making and other grape growing hazards.....I assume to throw red herrings in to the plot? Did not work for me. I figured out the culprit early on and don't see how the main characters couldn't do the same. Even the animals didn't get it
M Harris
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this as much as the earlier Mrs. Murphy mysteries. It took too long for the murder to actually happen and I don't think the pool of potential suspects was big enough! The animals in action were, as always, the best part. There was too much introductory banter about wine and not enough action.
Melissa
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cats, dogs
Harry and Fair's wedding opens this next installment in the "Mrs. Murphy" mystery series. Harry and other Crozet residents become vintners but when three men die Harry helps the Sheriff and deputy tie up loose ends(with the help of Harry's pets and others.) As usual, the illustrations lend charm to the story. Recommended.
Diane Large
I enjoy this series. The interaction with the animals is great! I have dear friends that own a winery in Free Union, so it's always interesting to read about the area that I have visited many times.
Tara
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
I like learning about things I know nothing about. This book taught me a little about owning and developing vineyards and also all the pests and diseases that can destroy one. It was very interesting. I also still like the characters and the animals.
Anwar Figueroa
Y and i cant read it
Erica
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unless you really love wine, skip it!
Marie Hurt
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terralyn Brown Barfield
4 Stars. I love the human and animal characters in this series and Im very picky when they have speaking parts in particular. A fun read. ...more
Heather Ford
Not my favorite in the series. Seemed like a string of lectures and the murderer was too obvious.
Amy W.
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are very cute. Love the animals pov
Mary E. Zorn
Too much

While I enjoy Mrs. Murphy there was too much technical carp about grapes etc. I skimmed through it quickly. Ugh
Cathy
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
B; I love a good cozy mystery especially when cats are included. But, I have an issue when the cats actually 'speak' their viewpoint.
Donna Leigh
There was so much about the cultivation and growing of grapes that I almost didn't want to finish reading the book.
Fred Nachbrunn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A who done it mystery challenge

A true test and challenge for every arm chair detective.
So many suspected. So many red hearings. Can you solve it.
Amanda
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite in the series, but it was still fun to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Sour Puss 1 3 Apr 25, 2012 09:31PM

• The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (Cat Who..., #29)
  • The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17)
  • The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who... #25)
  • The Cat Who Wasn't There (Cat Who..., #14)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell (Cat Who... #28)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Pouncing on Murder (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat Who Saw Stars (Cat Who... #21)
  • The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
  • Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #7)
  • The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who... #12)
  • The Cat Who Smelled a Rat (Cat Who... #23)
  • Wrong Side of the Paw  (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who... #26)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)