Start by marking “The Middle Ages” as Want to Read:
The Middle Ages

The Middle Ages

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When you least expect it, life can turn you around. Take forty-something Jane Larson. Although she views her situation with wry humor, her life feels frozen. An architect, she's had the same job for eighteen years, designing chain banks, grocery stores, and dry cleaners instead of the beautiful houses she craves to create. Living in Brooklyn with her difficult teenage daug ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Middle Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle Ages

Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
A delightful story. This book exceeded my expectations.
Trish
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice easy read for the summer with a character I could relate to. I enjoyed rooting for the main character throughout an easy paced story. But then I felt like the author suddenly decided to wrap it up quickly and I was left feeling like I was missing something in the end. Still enjoyed it.
Sandra
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm almost done with this book (have maybe 10 pages to go).

My only gripe with it is the situation with Jane's employment. She's living on her severance? What, they don't have unemployment compensation in New York State? Why do characters in books never collect UC?

And she has the luxury to consider not taking another job with another architectural firm? What about health insurance? Does her ex-husband's policy cover her and their twin daughters, too? Sounds like he is self-employed as much as s
Ellie Revert
Nov 05, 2009 rated it liked it
My way to judge a book? How much do I care about the characters--and in this case, I loved Jane and wanted things to go really well for her. There was a side story about Aunt Aggie and Uncle Barney------who had a wonderful marriage--one that makes me think of us. And "maybe it was because he had such a strong tie to her that he might be able to let go of her sooner than the rest of us"------Brent and I are considering this thought. And I hope that her future includes Jack, and the other precious ...more
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A story of rekindled love after a 30 year hiatus. An architect divorcee, Jane Larsen, mother of two teen girls is feeling under-appreciated and restless. Out of curiosity, she Googles an old college boyfriend and they begin a long-distance email relationship. Meanwhile, Jane is confronted with different career options after 18 years at the same job. With everything changing, Jane is weary yet eager to forge ahead and finally live again. A bit predictable and the male character is a little overly ...more
Lori
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I would've given this book five stars, because I truly enjoyed it, but it ended poorly. For the entire novel we have a slow progress, really getting to know Jane, but suddenly, at the end of the novel, we get a hurried wrap-up in a few pages. Supposedly it's to let us know that everything turns out ok, but all we have is the main character chatting about how it's tough work but everyone is doing great, and then the book is over. Not a great way to end what was a great story.
Mary
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Jane Larson's life is just going along as she works as an architect for eighteen years for the same company, and raises her twin teenage daughters in New York City. She if fired from her job at the same time she renews her friendship with her college love, Jack. She now must decide which way her life will go. Good book.
Jesse Blayne
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm there - middle age.

I could relate on so many levels - the insecurities that come with living in an older body; the unexpected intense joy at finding new love when I'd figured I was way beyond hope; and the doubts that come with wondering if a new relationship is even worth it.

Easy reading, pleasant telling, and likeable characters.

I'll definitely read more by her.

Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, gave-away
Passing this book on to my mom as I thought it was a nice way to escape for a time. A middle aged (when did 40 become middle aged?) is rethinking love, career, and what it means to move to another stage in life. Actually really liked this - a nice simple story but didn't treat me like I was an airhead. Interested in seeing what else I have missed from Ms. Fields.
Therese Gilardi
well, on the upside i skipped a whole bunch of pages in the middle, something i rarely do, and i don't think it made a difference. kudos to the author for a likable protagonist. although i'm not keen on all the cliches of middle age ....
Vikki
May 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This novel was very good. A divorced, middle-aged architect contacts her old college love via email. Their love grows.
Sally Brown
Jun 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this book was totally about me, but it wasn't.
Karisa
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful story. There was absolutely nothing I didn't like about it. I am 20 years younger than Jane but in some way, I can relate to her.
Jessica
Oct 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'm not quite in the middle years myself, but this book did speak to me. I loved her first book and was glad to run across this one. A nice Sunday read.
Stacey
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a fine story- I didn't relate to it much so it was slightly hard to get into. I liked the ending but overall the story dragged.
Holly Rousseau
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte Carver
Jan 16, 2017
Jennie Fields
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jennie Tighe
Jan 22, 2014
Patty
Mar 03, 2014
Melanie
rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2008
Mary Beth
Dec 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I love books and longed to start writing them when I was six years old. I wrote my first full- length novel in third grade. It was 365 pages! My teacher didn't have time to read it. As I am less wordy now, I hope you will find the time to read my books.

My new novel, The Age of Desire is based on the life and loves of my favorite novelist: Edith Wharton. Wharton's characters feel as real to me as t
More about Jennie Fields...

“Someone who would bear my shock, reflect back my outrage, so I could see it better, feel more than this electric numbness.” 0 likes