Start by marking “Loose Lips (Runnymede, #3)” as Want to Read:
Loose Lips (Runnymede, #3)

Loose Lips

(Runnymede #3)

If you crossed Mitford, North Carolina, with Peyton Place, you might come up with Runnymede, Maryland, the most beguiling of Southern towns. In Loose Lips, Rita Mae Brown revisits Runnymede and the beloved characters introduced in Six of One and Bingo, serving up an exuberant portrayal of small-town sins and Southern mores, set against a backdrop of homefront life during W ...more
Published May 2nd 2000 by Bantam (first published 1999)

Deena
Jan 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: modern-lit, bleah
This is allegedly one of the Six of One books, being a more detailed account of Juts, Wheezie, Nickel, etc. during the 1940s & 1950s/ However, it has several weaknesses. The primary one is that the quality of writing has deteriorated markedly since Six of One. The narrative is full of cliches and descriptions of weather, cars, and fashions obviously gathered from old newspapers. The conversation is forced and not consistent with the natural style and humor in Six of One. The plot devices are ...more
Richard Derus
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it
The Book Report: Julia Ellen Hunsenmeir and her big sister Louise do WWII and motherhood and heading into middle age, with an excursion into grandmotherhood and infidelity. All of Runnymeade, Maryland-and-Pennsylvania, is agog, when they are not aghast, at the antics of the sisters. This book fills in some *huge* gaps in the storytelling of [Six of One], as I suspect Ms. Brown is out to tell the whole tale and not only the bits and patches from the first book. One side effect of this is that the ...more
Julie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: brown-rita-mae
When Rita Mae Brown wrote "Six of One" she created a masterpiece about the quirky town of Runnymede, 80 years in the lives of the battling Hunsemier sisters and the various strong women in their family and circle of friends. She also created a fun supporting cast of characters to surround them.

A decade later, she wrote a sequel which picked up the story of the daughter just a few years later. It was a moderately good romance but the main character who was so interesting in the first book has b
Histteach24
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A continuation of the sisters' story that brings you back to their young adult lives. This isn't over all a favorite series of mine, but it is readable because of the historical references. The other book had humor that kept you going. I'm not sure how many times they can bring you back to add more detail to the story without getting repetitive. I wish there had been more history in this version to make it more interesting.
Robin (ReadItRobi)
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Centered around the WWII years, this adorable historical novel explores the close bond of the Hunsenmeir sisters. It’s a heartwarming story by a writer best known for her mystery series. I’d encourage anyone with a love for historical fiction, small town fiction and stories that tug your heartstrings to pick up this 5-star read.
NK
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first book that I read in the series about a small town called Runnymeade and the how the characters living there interact. The time period is just before, during and after WWll. I might want to read the prior stories.
Candice Mathews
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series, the town, the characters, etc.
Jackie Snodgrass
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Satire Anomaly
Rita Mae Brown has a history of being an activist, a feminist, and a lesbian, attributes of which she inputs a lot into her writing. In Loose Lips, published by Random House Publishing, and written in 1999, Rita Mae Brown chronicles middle age life for two sisters, in small town Maryland. The novel is set in the early forties and continues on into the late fifties. Brown conveys, satirically, through Julia (Juts) and Louise (Wheezie), the evolution of women’s roles, as well as life
ReadsinBed
Mar 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed in this book, as Six of One and Bingo are both among my very favorite books. This felt like a half-hearted attempt at adding to a very successful duo of books with resoundingly terrible results. The writing style was not nearly up to par (sadly, I personally feel that Ms. Brown's writing has headed South of late), and there were glaring inconsistencies in the plot and simple details, such as Nickel's middle name(!?!). Why change such basic and mostly meaningless details ...more
Susan
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Loose Lips is billed as "A Novel of Love and Espionage". The main character is Selena Keller who on a whim submits her resume to the CIA.

From there Loose Lips details what a trainee goes through to become a part of the CIA, ultimately taking on a job that will require you to convince another human being to commit treason.

There are a lot of secondary in the book, other trainees. Some we get to know and some are little more than background just to let us know Selena isn't alone.

While in training s
Mascanlon
I usually love Rita Mae Brown's books. I plowed through this one as I am almost incapable of not finishing a book even if I am not enjoying it. Its set in small town America during the ten yrs or so from Pearl Harbor to early 50s. Its not really a homefront novel, or a war time novel. Its the story of a couple of sisters and their lives, loves and going on in the town. I think what really frustrated me was the number of discussions of being a mother and if you adopted where you a real Mother. Ov ...more
Dannielle
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone with a lot of patience.
I read this book for a book group and, having never read the other books in the trilogy, was unfamiliar with any of the backstories for the characters. Perhaps this explains why after the first 40 or 50 pages I was ready to put the book down and just skip the book group meeting. I was utterly bored by the antics of the sisters, the two main characters, in the beginning of the book.

Lucky for me, the story eventually expanded to include all of the goings-on and other people in the sisters' lives a
Patty
Sometimes revisiting a place is not a good idea. As they say, you can't go home again. When I was in high school, I thought that Rita Mae Brown was a wonderful author. Six of One was one of my favorites and I gave away copies to friends. I had also enjoyed Rubyfruit Jungle and more recently I have had fun reading the Sneaky Pie mysteries.

So I had high hopes for Loose Lips. I can't say I am totally disappointed with this book, but I felt like I was slogging through a one note book. The Hunsenmeir
Ann Aldrich
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rita Mae Brown attempts the Jan Karon/Fannie Flagg inspiration, but misses the mark by a long shot. This book, the third in the series, tells meandering incidents of two 40-year old sisters in the 40's and 50's who behave as if they are still 3 years old. They are shallow, bicker constantly, are mean to each other and to their children. There is nothing appealing or endearing about either one. Perhaps the intention is to show that Mitford is a pipe dream and this is how people really are -- pett ...more
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
If you loved Six of One, you might not want to read Loose Lips. There are lots of amusing shenanigans by Weezie and Juts as they explore parenthood, but it tarnished my memory of them. Juts burns her daughter with a cigarette and drives her husband into the arms of a woman who doesn't incessantly nag him. That isn't the life I'd imagined for her in Six of One! This attempt lacks heart or something. Pass.
Kali
Dec 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
A meandering story. For me, the main attraction of this story is the time period in which it is set. The main character is a contemporary of my paternal grandmother. She died when I was only 5, so I felt like the details of day to day life presented in this book gave me a glimpse of what her life may have been like (minus all the weird stuff about living in the south).
Pam
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
I still enjoyed the sisters going at each other, but it did get tiresome. I may revisit this book later. It was set in the 40's and 50's, which is always an interesting time frame. I really just wanted to visit all the Runnymede characters again. I liked the book, but it is not in the same league as Six of One. There is no substituting for the first time.
Sandy Pfefferkorn
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Runnymede series about the Hunsenmeir sisters, but chronologically, it should be number 2 because it deals with the sisters and the town during the World War II period. I liked the book, but I think it was the weakest of the trilogy.
Kate
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loose lips, as in "Loose lips sink ships," is set in Runnymede, Maryland, I think, during WWII. This and Six of One and Bingo are really fun to read. I have tried some of Brown's other books, but none of them were as enjoyable for me as these three were.
Kym
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I adore Rita Mae Brown's Runnymede stories. Juts and Wheezie are two of the funniest characters ever created. That said, this book isn't nearly as strong as Six of One or Bingo. This is still worth a read but definitely don't start here, go read Six of One instead.
Cyndee
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Rita Mae Brown is one of our very best writers. This book tells the story of 2 sisters and their family and friends before, during, and after WW11. Very funny antics, like Lucy and Ethel.
Gayle
Feb 26, 2010 added it
A great addition to "Six of One". Not exactly a sequel, but it fills in some years not talked about in "Six of One".
Kathryn
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved Six of One and Bingo, which feature the same characters. Sadly, Loose Lips marked the beginning of the end for me with the Runnymeade gang.
Heidi
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another of my favorite books. This one really made me a Rita Mae Brown fan. Great characters make you laugh out loud while you're reading. (date is way off)
Susan
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the small town gossip, southern manners, and the perspective of WWII. I thought the two sisters were just a bit too quirky and felt that RMB was trying too hard to make them quirky.
Elaine
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was much better than Bingo. Loose Lips was the third in the trilogy
Bonnie
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It was almost like reading family memoirs! My family, your family, almost anyone's family. We all have a few eccentrics in our families!
Amy
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I laughed so hard at one point that I fell off the couch...what a wonderful tale of elderly women with spunk!
Risa Singer
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so it goes....

Rita Mae Brown does it again !! Julia and Louise are hilarious and their antics classic. Looking forward to reading more....
Gina Barnett
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Funny turn of phrases...loved it thoroughly

• Warrior's Valor (Supreme Constellations, #3)
  • Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #6)
  • Royal Rebel (A Royal Romance Story, #2)
  • Adventure Time Vol. 7
  • Molly: House on Fire
  • The Devil Be Damned (Cain Casey, #4)
  • I Am a Woman
  • Martin Bauman: or, A Sure Thing
  • 18th & Castro
  • The Case of the Good-for-Nothing Girlfriend (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #2)
  • Coalescence (I Found My Heart in San Francisco, #3)
  • Honor Guards (Honor, #4)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • It's Our Prom (So Deal with It)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un

Runnymede (5 books)
  • Six of One (Runnymede, #1)
  • Bingo (Runnymede, #2)
  • The Sand Castle (Runnymede, #4)
  • Cakewalk (Runnymede #5)