Start by marking “Welcome to the Episcopal Church: An Introduction to Its History, Faith, and Worship” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The perfect book for inquirers and new members, as well as current Church members who may be unfamiliar with some of the Church's history, beliefs, and practices. This new introduction to the history, polity, spirituality, worship, and outreach of the Episcopal Church is written in an easy-to-read conversational tone, and includes study questions at the end of each chapter ...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Church Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to the Episcopal Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to the Episcopal Church

Jana
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality, history
The amount of historical content isn't significant, but enough for someone like me who knows so little about these things. I was especially intrigued by the Celtic influences on the church, how early they were and the fact that they had female priests as early as the 7th century.

I'm getting quite a lot of information from this slim little book. I'm also learning some things about myself:

1. that I have never really understood Christianity, but have only somewhat understood Protestantism... which
Beth
Mar 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The book's format indicated that it was aiming to simply the Episcopal Church's complex history, beliefs, and practice; however, having read the whole book, I find it very difficult to remember much of what I've read. I think that if I really want to learn the history of the church I need to not cheat and to read many books covering different periods in detail. If I had more details and stories to latch onto, I would perhaps remember more. I likely also don't remember as much as I would like bec ...more
Jen
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
One of the pastoral staff at the Episcopal church I'm attending gave me this book. Dry reading, but a good introduction to the history, theology, and current practices of the Episcopal Faith. For a Presbyterian like me considering changing denominations, it gives just the right amount of information. It would be nice if it were a little more engaging (as I mentioned, it's pretty dry) and included some organizational charts, but overall a good source of information.
Charity
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religioso
Good introduction. I read it because I have heard random good things about the Episcopal Church and wanted to find out a brief version of the whole story. This book was perfect. I think it would be good in a discussion group, but without it, I think its small size allowed me to skim parts without really learning much. I would have liked more on the history part, I guess.
Robert
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book really helped me reconnect with the church. I am one who needs to understand the prayers, the history, etc. of the service. This book helped explain the faith to me. A good and concise guide to the Episcopal church.
Brandon Stewart
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book provided an excellent introduction to the history, faith, and worship of the Episcopal Church. I realize that is what the title said it would do, and, yes, it really did deliver. A great book, and I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking to learn about the Episcopal Church.
Ian
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
An Episcopal priest gave me this years ago, just got around to reading it. An informative and well-written introduction to that church.
Merys Kelleher
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty much delivers on what it promises. I'm sure that there will be folks who think it doesn't go far enough, just as there are those who feel that there is more information here than they really need. While this book repeats some of the information found in other volumes of the "Welcome to..." series, I personally found it to be a balanced exploration of the qualities and challenges of the Episcopal church, historically as well as in modernity. I was very impressed that the author didn't flin ...more
Goatville9
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book delivers in providing an introduction to the Episcopal Church. While most who seek out this book will have some background in Christian faith I don't find the need comment on worship, the Bible, ministry, mission, or spirituality.

To me the most interesting element - to a any reader especially fans of history - is how the Anglican Church in America had to evolve after the Revolutionary War. As Americans shed the political ties that bound them to England, a church descended from the Chu
Gary
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Gary by: Pastor
The history of the Episcopal Church helps me because I am not of a Catholic or Anglican/Episcopal background.
I had assume with little knowledge or background of what the Anglican/Episcopal meant- either a Catholic or a Reformed (Protestant), when it was more of a "middle of the road".
I discovered through this book, there is more similarities then differences.

I was in search of a church denomination that accepts and encourages.
This book confirms my choice.
Mac McCormick III
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
As someone searching for a new church home, I found this book very informative. The Episcopal Church is one I've been curious about and in addition to a visit to a local church, it has helped steer me in that direction.
Kyle
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great, thorough read. Very informative, and something good to have on hand for reference or sharing with others. Not as exciting of a read as other things, but definitely worth having, reading and keeping around.
KATHLEEN MOORE
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the Episcopal Church

This is all new information to me. I found it enlightening and to the point. Unity, worship and reaching out to mankind were easily understood in drawing people to God.
Maya
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
It is nice to know what you are signing onto. The history, facts, and questions. Much like the rest of this series, it is not necessarily aimed at newcomers- it welcomes all no matter where they are on the journey. It is pretty easy to read and a good springboard for further inquiry.
Andrea
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid introduction to the Episcopal Church.
Lauren
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book made me want to learn more about my spirituality and really practice my religion in daily life.
Leigh Clemons
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Full of useful historical information, but very dry...sorta like the Episcopals themselves.....
Yuanjian
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never found Christianity resonating more than when I read this book. Great overview of history and basic tenets. Some great mystical /theological paragraphs - lots of highlights.
Theresa
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
very dry and boring. Hard to get through
Rob
  • The Episcopal Handbook
  • The Book of Common Prayer
  • Listening Hearts: Discerning Call in Community
  • The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why it Matters
  • The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church
  • The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition Reform
  • Secrets of the Code: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code
  • The Divine Hours
  • Can You Drink the Cup?
  • In the Eye of the Storm: Swept to the Center by God
  • Losing Our Virtue
  • Tokens of Trust
  • Guide to Prayer: For Ministers & Other Servants
  • Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy
  • What is the Relationship Between Church and State? (Crucial Questions #19)
  • The Unicorn
  • Praying with the Church: Following Jesus Daily, Hourly, Today
  • Evangelicals on the Canterbury Trail
"Priest, poet, and farmer" is the short summary. After many years of ministry in inner city, overseas (Tokyo), suburban, and rural locations I lived for twenty years in the northwest corner of Connecticut. Twenty acres of woods, garden, and orchard provided an excellent balance to writing. There's no better cure for writer's block than splitting some more firewood. Less than two years ago, however ...more
More about Christopher L. Webber...
“The Anglican position, stated clearly in the service of ordination and elsewhere, is that we should require no beliefs except what we are persuaded can be solidly based on the Scriptures, but we are free to adopt beliefs and customs that seem consistent with the scriptural witness even though they may not be directly stated.” 0 likes