Start by marking “Misi Khusus (Detektif Feng Shui, #3)” as Want to Read:
Misi Khusus (Detektif Feng Shui, #3)

Misi Khusus (Feng Shui Detective #4)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
When a group of vegan terrorists threaten to blow up the world's two most important leaders along with half of Shanghai, the job somehow falls to the curmudgeonly feng shui master C.F. Wong and his over-enthusiastic assistant, Joyce, to save Shanghai, the world, and one poor potentially explosive white elephant. Innovative, mystical, craftily plotted, and leavened with a g ...more
518 pages
Published 2005 by c|publishing

To ask other readers questions about Misi Khusus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misi Khusus

Natalia Pì
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia
In order to like this book, the first thing you should do is stop expecting anything realistic - it is absolutely not realistic. Just try to see it as the literary equivalent of going to a fun fair when you're, say, 7 years old. If you do that, you'll have fun reading this book.

I've read it fast and enjoyed it immensely - I found it hilarious! It's a good story that grips you, but what is even nicer is the author's eye for different people's language quirks, as well as for poking (rather good-na
Kkraemer
Like all mysteries, this one is full of information about the place and time in which it is set. In this case, it's modern-day Shanghai, and a series of odd but interrelated incidents occur: an office building is demolished without warning, a child is kidnapped, and a group of dinner guests are imprisoned and tortured. The fengshui master is befuddled for awhile, but by listening carefully and balancing the forces around him, he often provides helpful ideas about how to rescue the heads of state ...more
Janet
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, animals
What the hell? This was like a Monty Python skit crossed with the movie Sixteen Blocks and a generous dollop of insanity. I recommend you skip this book if you’re squeamish. Animal lovers may want to give it a pass as well. This book has a radically different style than Vittachi’s previous books. I was actually reading between my fingers at one point…trying to avoid what I knew was coming.
Tracy
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nury Vittachi’s adventurous romp of wild bizarreness could be the love child of Ben Elton and Robert Llewellyn but set in China. Readers will encounter vigilant vegans of villainy (and best of luck to anyone who chooses to eat meat after the description of animal torture to make a meal—shudder), a scheduled meeting of the President of the United States and the President of China, a time-bomb ticking pachyderm, and the Union of Industrial Mystics comprised of feng shui masters, as just a few of t ...more
Endah
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it
C.F. Wong kembali beraksi. Kali ini melaksanakan misi khusus dari The Big Boss, Mr. Pun, untuk memberikan layanan pembacaan feng shui kepada para anggota dewan direksi East Trade Industries yang tersebar di beberapa negara : Filipina, Thailand, India, Hongkong, dan Australia. Maka, dengan ditemani asisten bulenya, Joyce McQuinnie, ia mendatangi tempat tinggal mereka satu persatu.
Dan sekali lagi, kedua pasangan unik ini harus mengalami peristiwa-peristiwa tak terduga selama menjalankan tugas mere
Truly
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Feng Shui dan cerita detektif, dua hal yang menarik perhatianku. Makanya begitu mengetaui bahwa ini adalah buku ketiga dari cerita seorang Detektif Feng Shui, segera diboyong ke kasir, tentunya berikut jilid 1 dan 2-nya.

Buku ketiga ini menceritakan sepak terbang C.F Wong. Mr Wong mendapat tugas khusus dari Mr Pun, si boss besar. Tugas khususnya adalah memberikan pelayanan Feng Shui kepada para anggota dewan direksi East Trade Industries secara gratis!

Yang menarik adalah, para dewan direksi ters
Victoria Law
An entertaining read but probably pretty un-PC. A lot of the humor is based on characters' mistranslation or inability to translate English idioms. I found it entertaining, but I can see others wincing at many of the "lost-in-translation" jokes.

Along the lines of un-PC: Vegan terrorists who kidnap & torture people for eating meat? (There's another stereotype, but it contains a spoiler.) I have to admit though that this book originally caught my eye (and alerted me to the series) when I came
Chalky
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and vacillated, at least momentarily between giving it 3 or 4 stars.

In the end it got 3, not for anything lacking in the telling, but probably for three reasons ...

The pacing seemed rather irregular with a few gripping pages followed by being stuck in turgid torpor where 1-2 pages a day was enough.

As someone who fondly remembers the author being the only humorous contributor to the FEER ( Far Eastern Economic Review) 25-30 years ago, I was expecting something more witty.

And l
Philia
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I read by Nury Vittachi. Having read "Mr Wong Goes West", I have an idea of what C.F. Wong the Feng Shui Master/detective and Joyce, his assistant are like, and I understand how Mr. Wong goes off tracks from the stories into his thoughts.

I really enjoyed this book much more than my first reading.

I got to say, the vegan episode really stir me up about our cruelty. For a moment, I've reconsidered returning to a vegetarian, but at the very least, it reminds me to be more mi
an
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
bilah rumput, bagaimana jika semua hal di dunia ini saling berhubungan? akhir adalah perjalanan dan perjalanan adalah akhir. semua yang ada di dunia ini ada titik seimbang na karena semua na dicipta dengan keunikan na masing-masing.

wong si master feng sui bukan detektif akhir na terjebak untuk memecahkan kasus dari klien-klien yang sedang mendapatkan pembacaan feng sui oleh na. dibantu dengan tenaga magang joyce yang kedang menyebalkan tapi sebenar na banyak membantu pennyelesaian dan sekretaris
Rian Ramdani
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
sama halnya dengan seri detektif mama ramotswe yang menceritakan kasus dari pandangan yang berbeda,karena disini lebih ditonjolkan sisi komedinya. perbedaannya cuma detektife feng shui ini hadir seperti komik karena dalam satu buku menghadirkan beberapa chapter dengan kasus yang berbeda, sangat santai dan tidak terlalu berat untuk dibaca. namun sayangnya ada kasus yang tidak selesaikan dan memiliki cerita yang menggantung, dari cara penyelesaian pun mungkin tidak berdasarkan penyelidikannya tapi ...more
Izzy Holmes
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very strange book with very macarbe scens of meals that were eatan at a restaurant where live fod was served to a very sad ending. However, it was laso in places quite funny.
it is about a feng shui master in Shanghai who is caught up in a bomb plot and has to use his assistant and some of the people he has invited to the Shanghai Union of Industrial Mystics to help stop the bomb plot. I really liked the little Chinese quotes on how to tackle life when different situations arise. So a
Jane
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: criminal-acts
In general, I would suggest to publisher's marketing departments that describing a book as 'a feel good read' when it involves a scene depicting torture and murder may result in disgruntlement on the part of the reader.

I could've also done without the leaden political satire and over-the-top minor characters, which squeezed out the eccentric charm I enjoyed in other Feng Shui detective novels.

Luckily Vittachi's playful and astute way with the English language continues to delight, as does his
Ikarus
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi, einstellen
Ich habe noch nie einen so unrealistischen Roman gelesen, wobei nicht einzelne Handlungsstränge an sich unrealistisch sind (wie in einem Action-Film), sondern die Personen beständig unrealistisch agieren und unrealistische Fähigkeiten haben.
z.B. zieht jemand neu in eine Stadt und ist nach einer Woche bereits komplett integriert in einem neu aufgebautem Freundeskreis

Ich konnte dieses Buch nicht ertragen und habe das Lesen abgebrochen.
Sam Colloff
i have really enjoyed the rest of this series, but i found this book much less interesting. it was quite a bit longer than the others i have read, and the storyline just didn't seem strong enough to hold my attention. some scenes, including the torture descriptions and the elephant escape, simply didn't seem to belong in one of these books at all. lacking in all the witty, amusing charm that i have loved in the others of this series.
Monica
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great silly fun - Wong the Feng Shui master and his ditzy assistant Joyce are in Shanghai dealing with the demolition of their new offices, a horrendously decadent meat feast of endangered creatures, a summit between the presidents of the US and China, a terror plot by militant Vegans, and an exploding elephant. It's full of sly humor and wonderful snapshots of Shanghai, but definitely not for the squeamish.
Trish
May 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
It's pretty rare I come across a book it isn't possible to easily categorise. However, this has to be one. What it really isn't is a detective novel. With a central plot of trying to assassinate the Presidents of the US and China, you'd normally go with a thriller. However, an exploding elephant wouldn't usually be the weapon of choice... A weird and sometimes surreal/absurd black comedy, although buried underneath is some underlying commentary on modern China.
F.E. F.E.
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel-detektif
Misi Khusus adalah seri pertama yang saya baca secara acak karena buku inilah yang pertama kali direkomendasikan kakak sepupu saya.

Prolognya sangat bagus apalagi epilognya. Sekarang saya kasihan pada Mr.Wong yang terperangkap prasangkanya sendiri sehingga kurang hati-hati dan malah jadi sial. Well, disinilah saya mengenal Mr.Sinha dan juga judul-judul korang yang anehnya minta ampun!!! Dan itu sangat kocak!

5 stars? STILL!
Lizzy
One must suspend all reality before turning any pages in this new adventure. You might want to become a vegetarian. Or then again, not. We have elephants, kidnapping, bombs, wild chases down a river, with helicopters, and you name it. Just a lot of fun.
C
Oct 02, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
From Indie Book webinar
Johannes
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiksi
GOOD DETECTIVE BOOKS WITH UNPREDICTABLE ENDS.
Ludmilla Kostova
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading it. Would like to read more books by the same author
Anja
Jan 13, 2009
Len Gillett
Jun 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Child's Play (The Destroyer, #23)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • San Sombrèro: A Land of Carnivals, Cocktails and Coups (Jetlag Travel Guide)
  • Freakangels Complete Box Set
  • North 40
  • Poldark: Ross Poldark / Demelza (Poldark, #1-2)
  • Wild Jack
  • Harm's Way
  • Virtual Reality: The Revolutionary Technology of Computer-Generated Artificial Worlds-And How It Promises to Transform Society
  • Dragon Sleeping (The Dragon Circle #1)
  • Admiral Hornblower: Comprising Flying Colours, The Commodore, Lord Hornblower, Hornblower in the West Indies (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #8-11 omnibus)
  • The Return of the Emperor (Sten, #6)
  • The New Hacker's Dictionary
  • Essential System Administration
  • The Corn King and the Spring Queen (The Hera Series)
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest to Uncover the Books that Time Forgot
Nury Vittachi is a journalist and author based in Hong Kong. His columns are published daily, weekly in a variety of newspapers in Asia as well as on his website. He is best known for the comedy-crime novel series The Feng Shui Detective, published in many languages around the world, but he has also written non-fiction works and novels for children. He is also noted for his role in founding the As ...more
More about Nury Vittachi...

Feng Shui Detective (5 books)
  • The Feng Shui Detective