Start by marking “Six of One (Runnymede, #1)” as Want to Read:
Six of One (Runnymede, #1)

Six of One (Runnymede #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,927 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Perched right on the Mason-Dixon line, tiny Runnymede, Maryland, is ripe with a history almost as colorful as the women who live there—from Celeste Chalfonte, headstrong and aristocratic, who murders for principle and steals her brother’s wife, to Fannie Jump Creighton, who runs a speakeasy right in her own home when hard times come knocking. Then of course, there’re Louis ...more
Published July 6th 1999 by Bantam (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Six of One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six of One

Richard Derus
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book Report: The life and times of a matriarchal clan made up of a mixture of lesbians, hell-raisers, and goody-two-shoeses in the fictional town of Runnymede that sits smack on the Mason-Dixon line. From 1909 to 1980, Cora Hunsenmeir and her daughters Julia Ellen and Louise live, love, fight, make up, and generally enjoy themselves hugely, often to the detriment of though never at the expense of their fellow-travelers and employers Celeste Chalfonte, Ramelle Bowman, and Fannie Jump Creighto ...more
Georgene
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I wish that Rita Mae Brown would write more books like this one. I think this one is her best, although I am very fond of her early Sneaky Pie Brown books.

The narrative switches back and forth from the 1920's to the 1980. There is humor, sadness, but above all friendship. I really enjoyed this book, unlike the ones she's written the the last 3-4 years or so.
Kristen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Not good, not bad. I loved the character development, and the story itself was interesting enough. It just wasn't one of those books that I feel the need to get back to when I wasn't reading it.
Monica
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adore these Runnymede books and intend to read them all. As #1 in the series, this was a wonderfully enjoyable read.
Lexie
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
I'm a sucker for this book, which I reread after a decade and still loved. I picked it up because I wanted a book that would, cheesy as it sounds, fill my heart with inspiration and joy. And of course, lots of laughs as quirky women live life to the fullest in a small town.

"Everything is possible. Pass the word."
Mary
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great depiction of southern women. I know, I grew up with them.
Kym
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I've ever read. It's just so lovely.
Betsy Ashton
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
An early book by Brown. Great fun. Great unique voice. Not Appalachian to be classified as Appalachian fiction. Definitely Southern. Wonderful cast of off-beat characters worthy of a second look.
Nancy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fluff, fiction
I had high hopes for this book. A few years ago I read a sequel to this and really enjoyed it. This however was dull and unnecessarily crude.
Charity
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started this book at the end of last month, then took a break to read a few other things, and finally finished it today while taking a break from prepping lasagnas. The easy, often biting, always witty dialogue in this book reminds me of the back-and-forth (I think between Dorian and the Duchess of Monmouth, but I'm awful at remembering character names) in Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Brown has an impressive ability to show the deep love between Louise and Juts through their harsh
Lori Gronewold
Feb 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read "Cake Walk" first and I loved the characters. I couldn't wait to read more books about them. So I had my library find the book at another library and request it. I was excited to start the book but then I was soon disappointed.

First there were major difference between the characters in "Cake Walk" and "Six of One": When Pearlie came to town, Ramelle and Curtis being married, Louise and Julie's mortal enemies and the tone of the characters.

The jumping back and forth in time left out a lot
Chak
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like character-driven family-relationship fiction. Helps if you like southernisms.
I picked this book for our January 2009 book club meeting, and thankfully, I ended up loving the book. I hope everyone else in the club does, too. It's exactly what I needed in the midst of the non-fiction stuff I've been reading lately. Six of One was a quick read, had well-crafted characters and I got emotionally involved in the story (started crying on an elliptical machine - thank goodness it was a vacation workout!).

The following passages were notable to me:

p. 86 - "...you... imagine yours
V.T. Davy
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This novel made me both laugh out loud and cry. I think the emotional reaction that Brown elicits from the reader is due to her dialogue. She has a fine ear for the Southern (set in Maryland) dialect and turn of phrase. It runs like a seam of gold through the novel and never seems forced or clichéd. The characters are all charming, in their individual ways, with careful dark and light shades. Anyone who has a sister will immediately identify with the exasperation of the siblings Louise and Julia ...more
Tatra
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book covers a lifetime and is just amazing. My mom loves Rita Mae Brown and I do have to say that she is an awesome wordsmith.

Now, I chose this for the Wriyers Read Too genre reading challenge as my LGBT book because I wanted something that was light on all of the issues. I have to say that this matched perfectly for what I was looking for. It featured a lesbian couple, had a Bi character as the narrator, and had touches of gay characters. It also had awesome heterosexual characters. In sho
Sandy Pfefferkorn
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series about the Hunsenmeir sisters, who live in the town of Runnymede, Pennsylvania/Maryland, right on the Mason-Dixon line. Louise and Julia Ellen (Juts), both born in the early years of the 20th century, are feisty rivals from the day Juts (the younger sister) was born. This first book traces their rivalry from their early years and introduces the reader to the colorful members of their community.

Because I like Brown's Mrs. Murphy cat mysteries, I decided to try
Trish
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this for my book group, otherwise I wouldn't have selected it.
It's a series of scenes about a group of mostly female friends and relatives in an American town.
It spans from the second decade of the last century to the 1980's and includes a couple of scenes from both world wars.Interesting to read the American perspective.
The characters are lively and distinct. The scenes are memorable, touching, just hilarious and philosphical.
A feel good book that I can recommend.
Pam
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a delightful trip through the lives of two sisters who are constantly fighting, but love each other dearly. The novel is set in a fictional town of Runnymede that straddles the Mason-Dixon line. We get to follow the often hilarious escapades of some very memorable characters. I wanted to visit Runnymede and revisit the characters. The characters do return in two subsequent novels, but sadly, I could not find Runnymede on Google Maps.
Kelly
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredible. I cried for the last 3 hours I was reading it. The relationships and caliber of women in this book are to be aspired to. Somewhat in the line of Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant except way better. Can't wait to read more of this series.
Maureen
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think that this book was supposed to debunk the myth of intolerance of the small town. Thus this small town lovingly embraces sexual diversity, sibling rivalry that slips into violence, infidelity, murder, and more. The characters are all so endearing!! Or not.
Of course I did smile at some of the foolishness, but more often than not I was asking myself, "Really?"
Rosemarie
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
A novel of strong, colorful women in Runnymeade VA in the early 20th century. Though contrived at points, the novel is an authentic and touching portrait of human relationships. In many ways a typical Brown fiction, the people and their lives are worth knowing. This book has two sequels, and I will read them.
Judy
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read it years ago. Someone had given it to my mom to read. She was mid another book so I borrowed this. Loved it. Had me wondering what this other woman had in mind when she gave it to my mom;) She was a sophisticated New Yorker, likely trying to stimulate conversation with someone in her new more rural home. This book would surely accomplish that:)
elisabeth
this book is an adorable history of a town through the eyes of one specific family (a found family; it's actually two losely related households) that spans nearly 70 years.
Warning: the narrator is bi, and her 87 year old aunt sometimes says Rude Things about that. There is however some wonderful bi representation in the 1930s that is celebrated by the book.
Jeanette Cupcake
I really want to like Rita Mae Brown, but I just cant get into her. This wasnt a bad book, it just isnt one id read again. I like some of the characters, but at parts i was really really bored. Maybe the sequel is better?
Mlnpdx
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truly one of my favorite books! It was recommended to me 20 years ago. It was my introduction to Rita Mae Brown's great sense of humor. This book is a wonderful tribute to the strong women in her life. This book is one that I read every couple of years, when I need a quick laugh.
Karen
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to hear Rita read parts of this book before it was published. I fell in love with the story then and have read it again and again. A slice of the south of which you can NOT get enough.
Carla
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
couldn't get into this book. i don't prefer "light reads" and felt this reminded me too much of chick lit. maybe if i'd kept at it i'd get into it but i'm following Nancy Pearl's advice, if you're not grabbed by page 50 put it down, too many other books to read...
Deb Fialkow
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spanning from 1090 to 1980 (and pulling from the not so distant war between the states), Brown writes unforgettable characters in a small town straddling the Mason-Dixon line, in particular her two fierce, energetic, foul mouthed, clever protagonists, Juts and Wheezie. Delightful and touching.
Suzanne
Really wish I could give two ratings for this book, because there was some really good stuff, and then there were whole big areas where it almost seemed like placeholder text, for when she got to the real writing.
Freyja Vanadis
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is the kind of vintage Rita Mae Brown I love to read. Other than the fact that almost all of her characters across almost all of her books are exactly the same, her books are funny as hell while throwing in a few serious subjects at the same time. This one is no exception.
500 Great Books B...: Six of One - Rita Mae Brown 1 5 Jul 15, 2014 05:07PM
loose lips and bingo 1 11 Nov 22, 2008 05:26AM
  • Sleeping Bones (Kate Delafield, #7)
  • The Revolution of Little Girls
  • Punk Like Me
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Daughters of Darkness: Lesbian Vampire Stories
  • Choices
  • The Complete Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • Aquamarine
  • Desert of the Heart
  • Back to Barbary Lane: The Tales of the City Omnibus (Tales of the City, #4-6)
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • It's Not Mean If It's True: More Trials from My Queer Life
  • Dahlia Season: Stories and a Novella
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

Runnymede (5 books)
  • Bingo (Runnymede, #2)
  • Loose Lips (Runnymede, #3)
  • The Sand Castle (Runnymede, #4)
  • Cakewalk (Runnymede #5)

“High heels were invented by a woman who had once been kissed on the forehead.” 17 likes
“Put your money in your head, that way no one can take it from you.” 12 likes