Start by marking “The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name” as Want to Read:
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name

If you are a parent, grandparent, pastor, or teacher looking for a way to teach the children in your life about Gods Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love, look no further than The Jesus Storybook Bible.

What makes The Jesus Storybook Bible different from other kids bibles? While other kids bibles contain stories from the Old and New
Published February 20th 2007 by Zonderkidz

To ask other readers questions about The Jesus Storybook Bible, please sign up.
Debbie Although it is written for children, the way it is written will help teenagers and adults understand the unified message of the Bible. So many…moreAlthough it is written for children, the way it is written will help teenagers and adults understand the unified message of the Bible. So many Christians know isolated Bible stories, but have no idea how they fit together, or how they build on each other, or even that all the stories basically lead to the same point, that God had a plan way back in Genesis to redeem His chosen people for Himself through his son paying the penalty for our rebellion, and somehow every book of the Bible has to do with the beautiful wonder of His plan. This book clearly shows how God worked everything out for our benefit an His glory.(less)

Start your review of The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
April Gardner
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My friend, Julie's review:

As a teacher, I have seen dozens of children's Bibles. I have never been impressed, really, preferring the real thing to the cheesy, cartoony pages of children's Bibles. Until now. Through one of my favorite singer/songwriters, I have come across The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones. I teared up when I read the first pages. And now, I have purposed to buy it for every child's birthday or baby shower that comes across my calendar. (Sorry to spoil the surprise
Skylar Burris
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible, childrens
I am frequently dissatisfied with childrens Bibles, which may be why I acquire so many. I keep hoping the next one will compensate for the deficiencies of the last. I have one I chose because the vocabulary, for a change, wasnt too dumbed down; one I chose because the pictures, for a change, were actually Semitic in appearance (no blonde, Anglo-Saxon Jesus in that one); one I chose because the stories werent overly sanitized; one I chose because it included more stories than most. This one, ...more
Kristen
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love every aspect of this Bible. The illustrations by Jago are both charming and intriguing. There are about fifty stories, a good balance. The text itself is exactly what I want my children to hear, theologically. I love this line from the very first chapter. "The Bible isn't mainly about you and what you should be doing. It's about God and what he has done." AMEN.

The subtitle is "Every Story Whispers His Name" and indeed, every story does. "No, the Bible isn't a book of rules, or a book of
Bree
Jan 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Notes:
yes, every story does whisper His name, but not like this book
this is not a bible at all, just a poorly written storybook
embellished inaccurate stories are ridiculous
omits real truth for a watered down, feel-good gospel
implies that our hearts are full of question marks instead of sin
wrong in every possible way, will never read this to my children
Toni
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
The more I read this the more I don't like it. I think it would be better labeled the Jesus storybook, because this is not the bible. In fact it is so added too and taken from its far from the bible. Just to mention a few theological discrepancies in the very beginning God says " hello stars" it does not say he spoke them into existence. then you have Eve believing that God does not love her, that's not what the bible says at all. To go on the story of Rachel and Leah frustrates me to no end. ...more
Nick
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The more I read and understand the Bible, the more I find it difficult to teach certain stories to kids and feel that I'm being honest to the meaning. Think of the stories that we teach in Sunday School:

1. the garden of eden (nudity, disobedience, stealing)
2. Noah's ark (death and distruction on an epic scale with a smiling family sailing atop bloated corpses)
3. Joshua and the Battle of Jericho (prostitution, warfare)
4. David and Goliath ("its ok to hit bad people as long as God tells you
Jeremy
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sally Lloyd-Jones wrote another children's book that positively depicts a same-sex couple; see here and here. Her children's book How To Get Married is also a little fishy.

Part of the reason for the four-star rating is a section towards the end that sounds a little antinomian: No rules (or just a few)! Just grace! Which doesn't make sense, because grace includes law. I'm sure the author's intent was not to spread antinomian views, but that section could have been worded better.
Alice Gent
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this to out 6m-10m old, about one story a night before bed. Just a wonderful, faithful book with great colourful illustrations. It highlights so beautifully about how every part of the Bible is about Jesus. Highly recommended. We're about to start all over again! :)
April
This is a truly lovely children's Bible that does SO many things right.

The best thing it does is trace the story of Jesus through the whole Bible--it shows how every story points to the Ultimate Story in a way that is very graspable.

The illustrations are SO well done--it's so relieving to see diversity in color of skin and body type. It isn't a Bible full of Middle Eastern inexplicable white people like the children's Bible I grew up with.

I am not what you would call this Bible's typical
Danielle
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal. It's really astonishing how good this is. Recently, we started reading straight through it, one story a night, with our son who will be five at the end of November 2012. His questions and understanding of our covenant faith have matured a lot during this family time. He wants to start it over from the beginning. I can't recommend this highly enough for parents of small children, and even for new Christians. I've benefited greatly from it myself, and I've been a Christian my whole ...more
Samuel Bierig
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second Storybook Bible my wife and I have used with our daughter (2 1/2). It was a perfect graduation up from DeYoung's "The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings us back to he Garden" I will be starting it over with her tomorrow night!

She plays a little to fancy and free in a few places, but overall it is a helpful catechetical tool for youngsters.
Sara
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The Jesus Storybook Bible by author Sally Lloyd-Jones is a Bible book for children in which every story points to Christ. The Collectors Edition includes the book plus three audio CDs of narration and a DVD of animated stories. There is also an Italian Duo-Tone leather edition of The Jesus Storybook Bible that is beautiful and would be perfect for a gift.

My husband and I absolutely loved the first book that we read by Sally Lloyd-Jones, Song of the Stars, so we were excited to read this
Ebookwormy1
The strength of this book is two fold. One, every story ends with a reference to Jesus, showing how He illustrates a truth, fulfills a prophecy, exemplifies a character trait, etc. Secondly, the illustrations are truly unique and not "westernized." Jesus really has an olive complexion as his Jewish roots would indicate. People and angels come in various colors.

This book is part of our regular Bible rotation, and we have given it as gifts for Christmas, Birthday and baby showers. Advertisements
R.J. Rodda
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, childrens
This children's bible story is unique because it doesn't just retell the stories of the bible, but also links them to the greater gospel story. This helps primary school aged children understand how God's plan of redemption unfolds from the Old Testament stories to the New, putting it all into context. The bright quirky illustrations complement the text and the conversational story-telling style make this a fun and engaging read.
Amie Geyman
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Winston and I enjoyed reading this over the last year. I love how The Jesus Storybook Bible brings every chapter back to God's never stopping, never giving up, unbreakable, always and forever love. The book says ages 4 and up. Even though my 2 year old didn't understand every story, he did understand who Jesus was in each story and that Jesus loved him. We finished every chapter with singing Jesus Loves Me.
Blake Atwood
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asher
I'd give it ten stars if I could.
LeAnne
Delightful pictures invite young children to sit still and listen to these retellings of Bible stories. There are multiple pages (and therefore multiple full-bleed illustrations) for each story. Characters are shown as dusky-skinned Middle Easterners, not Northern Europeans. The tone of the telling, like the whimsical illustrations, is aimed at young children maybe ages four to seven, making it less suitable than Lions Day-by-Day Bible for older children or adults working on English reading ...more
Shaun
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ive been working my way through The Jesus Storybook Bible with my children for several months. It only took a few of the short stories to make it one of their all time favorite Bible story books. The intended age range for this book is four to seven years old, but my children as young as three and as old as ten have enjoyed it as well.

The Jesus Storybook Bible is comprised of 21 stories from the Old Testament and 23 stories from the New Testament. What makes this book unique is the way each
John Gardner
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A couple months ago, my wife and I bought the Jesus Storybook Bible to read to our son (18 months old). While its probably still a little beyond his current comprehension, it sure is a lot of fun! Ill really enjoy watching him and our future children grow into it.

What makes this particular childrens Bible so much better than any other Ive seen is the fact that it combines kid-friendly illustrations and language with faithfulness to the Biblical metanarrative. In other words, it avoids the
Douglas
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading the Jesus Storybook Bible to my newborn son. We took a chapter-a-day and it took right around 8 weeks to finish it. There are a few reasons I love this paraphrase of the Bible for kids and will revisit it with my own children over and over:
1. It is Christ-centered and points to him in every single chapter of the book. From Genesis to Revelation, he and God's plan of redemption for the lost are central to every story. This places the emphasis on God restoring right
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
In the overwhelming abundance of Children's Bibles, The Jesus Storybook Bible stands out in its Christ-centeredness and above-average writing. As Mark Tubbs says in his detailed review at Discerning Reader, "Every story does indeed whisper the person and work of Jesus Christ. The message of mans sinfulness, his inability to obey, and Gods enduring grace bleeds through every page."

In Lloyd-Jones' attempts to contextualize the stories for young children she does take some liberties, but these
Jason Custer
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book for one main reason: it shows how every story points to Jesus.

This storybook is desperately needed in a Christian culture that has watered down the Bible to a book of morality and life lessons for children. This book shows that the Bible is not about them (and that is good news!) - it is about Jesus and how he is rescuing the world and making everything "sad come untrue." That's really all you need to know in order to purchase and read this book to your children: it points to
David
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
For the last three years my wife and I have read this book with our daughter (and now son) during Advent. It works out quite well as the total Old Testament chapters plus the three about Jesus' birth total 24. So, and this should be obvious, you get one for each day of Advent! This is the first year that we are managing to keep it going and to read the second half of the book, the stories of Jesus. I give credit to my daughter, for she wants to keep reading!

Like any children's bible, there are
Katie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audrey's aunt gave her this Bible saying that it was the clearest, easiest telling of the gospel. And it totally is. The story of grace is woven through every biblical event and the pictures are beautiful as well. Finished for now but ready to read to my girl over and over again.
Margaret Bronson
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading through this again. Every single story leaves me thanking the Lord for his goodness. We've had the audiobook on repeat every day around the house and it's like the best sucker punch every ten minutes. I'm not even ashamed to say this has been my devotional lately.
Ana Avila
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this Bible to my 6 month old. He obviously doesn't understand anything yet, but we're starting over tomorrow!

Great resource, it moved me to tears a few times. I'm so happy to have this for my boy and for myself.
Karen
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this with my kids!
Abbie
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great childrens book telling the story of Christ, with beautiful illustrations. Im sure to read this again and again to my little one. ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Deluxe Edition is a wonderful resource to add to any child's bookshelf. It is like a Bible but with a twist. Instead of chapters and verses it holds a story book version of the Bible. The whole point of this Bible is slightly different than the traditional "Bible Story Book", instead it is to tell the story as a whole rather than short stories here and there.

I like this Bible storybook because it doesn't try condense the Bible into child-length stories, but
midnightfaerie
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The Jesus Storybook Bible was given to my 5 yr old as a gift when he won a contest at church. He loves it. He's 6 yrs old now, and his twin brothers are three, and I read a few of these stories each day until the whole book was done. I read to them everyday, but even the twins would say "I love the Jesus book!" when I asked them what they wanted me to read. It's a great beginner bible, with bright, colorful pictures that they all love. Some of the pictures also were depicted lengthwise on the ...more
Resources to teach our kids about the Bible (without sugarcoating it) 1 19 Jul 29, 2013 02:41PM

• The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • Jesus Calling Bible Storybook
  • The Biggest Story ABC
  • One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
  • The Power of a Praying Wife
Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads Page. You'll find more @ my SUPER blog, my blog, my public facebook page, and my website.

News & Interviews

“And one day, God would send another baby, a baby promised to a girl who didn't even have a husband. But this baby would bring laughter to the whole world. This baby would be everyone's dream come true.” 2 likes
“Even death is going to die!” 2 likes