Start by marking “Understanding and Using English Grammar” as Want to Read:
Understanding and Using English Grammar

Understanding and Using English Grammar

A classic developmental skills text for intermediate to advanced students of English, Understanding and Using English Grammar is a comprehensive reference grammar as well as a stimulating and teachable classroom text. While keeping the same basic approach and material as in earlier editions, the Third Edition more fully develops communicative and interactive ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 492 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Pearson PTR Interactive (first published December 1st 1988)

Start your review of Understanding and Using English Grammar
Nima
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok weather you are an English student or you want to gain grammatical points and notes during your English class this book has something unforgettable in a such way!I mean with lots of grammatical ideas,ways to remember most forgetting rules like articles and verb tenses,get the most out of this book keeps you safe in your way in english!
Kay
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: language, esl, nonfiction
The single most helpful book in my ESL training and grammar teaching repertoire. I first used this in a pedagogical grammar course in grad school and have used it (and several other books in the series) for something like twenty years. While Azar has her detractors, students love the easy-to-consult grammar tables and the plentiful exercises. A more recent edition contains the answer key in the back of the book, which is a particularly useful feature.
Hary Mulyadi
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bravo! This book is my milestone I confidence with my English, no matter anybody say. This book teach me when I'll enroll magisterial, I read repeatedly this book because I didn't pass the English exam. Until I can reach it and be a magisterial student in Favorite University in Indonesia.
Dina
May 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The easier book to understand English Grammar.
Abd Al-Rahman
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very useful book on grammar; it is essential reference for any learner of English language. The illustrations provided in the book further clarify the grammatical rules. I enjoyed reading it doing its exercises.
Evrodina
Oct 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any english students
good for your english reference.
Mochizuki
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I have been using this book with Upper Intermediate and Lower Advanced Students for the past 3 years and recommend it to other teachers.
Reem (computeryah!)
Excellent book for the English learner and for the native English speaker at the same time!
William Núñez
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read & owned. whether you have taken English in the past, this book can help you out to remember the structures of grammar from any level.
Charity
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My "ESL/EFL" bible. Azar's as sound as they come.
itsumoAoi
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
recommended for teacher, student and anyone who wants to study English structurally...beginners, intermediate and advanced...GRAMMAR ORIENTED...so...better be followed with others focusing on the conversation
Siva
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Grammar wise this book very helpful
Venny
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
Fareed Sepanta
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hi there!
Here's a great channel on Telegram to boost your English, for students and teachers alike:

@English_Hub_Channel

Please join us and invite your friends as well.
NikoF
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want to burn the English Language until nothing is left and throw its ashes off a cliff.
Widad
Sayed Wahab
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
rachid  idjiou
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book really helps to understand basic english and practice it.
Amir Afroushteh
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great grammar reference
Sharon Goyette
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the textbook we used for our TESL course. We went through it from cover to cover. For a native english speaker who acquired English without really learning the grammar rules, this book is a godsend. I have even used some of the activities in my advanced grammar classes - the students love the format (as do I). Everything is explained so well...it is the most useful (and used) book on my bookshelf. Love it!
Elizabeth
Not exactly a book to skim through and get an overall understanding of English grammar, but an excellent resource to resort to - or to refer others to - when unsure about a particular aspect of or rule regarding grammar. For students and teachers alike, it gives wonderfully succinct and easy-to-understand descriptions of various rules and elements of grammar - semicolons, verb tenses, everything - as well as an abundance of exercises and activities that would be great for individual students ...more
Beth
I'm just wrapping up my teaching practicum, and this is the textbook that both of practicum classes use. My classes are intermediate ESL students. I liked the textbook overall- it had some good activities and summaries, though it falls in the usual trap of using technical words and long descriptions to teach grammar (probably meant for native speakers, but not as approachable for ESL speakers). This is a good book to use as the bedrock of a course, but you will want to spice it up with other ...more
Mk
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sandeep Kumar
Jul 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
Efsdf
Mar 30, 2013 marked it as to-read
ESFSDDSFSDFDF
Toofan
although it covers a lot of subjects its not a very good reference. The writing is rather boring, that is for a grammar book, and many points are left unclear.
Fita Nofarya
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
the way to great to learn english grammar
Sajad
Jan 17, 2014 added it
The Best Grammarly Free Trial 2019 1 2 Oct 11, 2019 04:24AM
Current I reading this book 4 31 Aug 17, 2016 10:39AM

• English Grammar in Use with Answers: Reference and Practice for Intermediate Students
  • A Practical English Grammar
  • Grammar and Beyond Level 3 Student's Book
  • The Collected Stories
  • The Torah: The Five Books of Moses
  • The Sexy Part of the Bible
Betty Azar is a teacher and the author of several English grammar workbooks that are a staple in the ESL teaching industry.

News & Interviews