Start by marking “Standard of Honor (Templar Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Standard of Honor (Templar Trilogy, #2)

Standard of Honor (Templar Trilogy #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,482 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
The second novel in the thrilling historical trilogy about the rise and fall of the powerful and mysterious Templars, from the author of the immensely popular Camulod Chronicles.

In 1187 one of the few survivors of the Battle of Hattin, young Scots Templar Alexander Sinclair, escapes into the desert despite his wounds. Sinclair has learned about the execution of the survivi
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 540 pages
Published August 23rd 2007 by Viking Canada (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Standard of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standard of Honor

Art
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Craig Lubinski
What is honor? Can it be measured, and if so, can it be measured by anyone other than the individual to which it applies? This book will cause one to take a hard look at what honor is, how it is measured, and whether or not one has this thing called "honor."

I would be tempted to say that honor is confirmed when one can look at one's actions and his or her conscience says, "it is good." However, I know there are many in our society today that have no conscience, or if they do, they choose to com
Speesh
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange, slow, long, but still enjoyable. Though, I'm really not too sure why.On the face of it, not an awful lot happens. It feels like what it of course actually is; number two in a trilogy (I haven't read number three yet); a transition novel, between one and two.

My first problem was that it doesn't exactly follow on from the first in the series. In that one, the Templars are formed and find what they're looking for under the old Jewish Temple of the Mount. This one, takes place a number of y
Josh
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of the first book
I can't believe I have finally finished this book! It took me four months to read, probably the longest it has ever taken me to read a book. Some of it was due to the fact that I have been very busy these last couple of months, but some of it has to do with the fact that this book is very long and I often found it plodding and meandering all over the place. It certainly didn't move as fast as the first book in the series. I guess if I had really been into this book I would have finished it much ...more
ScottK
YAY !!! True to my own promise to me I finished this last night. Mr. Whyte must have researched this all for years before starting this project, well of course he did. As someone who never really was that big into "History" I learned a Bunch of stuff from this book and his first in the series The Knights of the Black and White. The sad part is having to wait another year for book 3 .
Stuart
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Templar genre readers
Spends a lot of time pondering RCs vs Orthodix, Sh'ia vs Sunni ... but adds sufficient action (Crusaders vs Saracens, Richard the Lionheart's sexual preferences, gay knights vs chaste/ celibate knights) to keep you going.
Simon
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good historical fiction.
Costea Constantin
2 volume

Papa Grigore cheama crestinatatea la cea de-a treia cruciada pentru a elibera Ierusalimul de sub stapanirea pagana.

Regii Europei sunt chemati din nou la lupta. Masacrul "cruciadei regilor" va scalda Tara Sfanta in sange.

ÎN 1187... unul dintre supravietuitorii Bataliei de la Hattin, tânarul templier scotian Alexander Sinclair, ranit, se refugiaza în desert. Aflând de executia celor cazuti prizonieri, nu pomeneste nimic despre statutul sau în cadrul Ordinului Templului. Scotianul face part
Alec
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a book given to me by a friend who said I'd enjoy it. I read the first book in this series nearly three years ago in preparation to read this book. Obviously, it took a while to get back to the series though I'm glad I did.

The main thing I was left with at the end of this book was the sensation that I don't know nearly enough about the history of the Middle East. It seems that the region has been involved in warfare for centuries all in the name of God and religion. The main players may
Becky Norman
I'm really starting to struggle with this series and I'm unhappy about that because I love Jack Whyte's writing. Even within Standard of Honor, there are brilliant passages and stories within the stories that engaged me fully and kept me reading.

But these books are long - the PB edition of Standard of Honor tops out at 857 pages - and with a novel of that size there has to be some considerations for your reader. Namely, I expect a well-plotted story, with one or two main characters that will tak
Barbara Martin
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Standard of Honor is the second book in a trilogy about the Templar Knights, following “Knights of the Black and White” which introduced the beginnings of their Order, the reasons behind the founding of them. This book deals with the inner workings of the organization and how man perceives the aspect of honor.

Jack Whyte has prepared this entertaining book with well researched detail on the Third Crusade and the Order of the Temple. I loved Mr. Whyte’s full descriptions of the political intri
Stephen
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, let's be clear, Knights of the Black and White and Standard of Honor are NOT rocking crusading war adventures. If you seek Dan Brown, seek elsewhere. Yes, there is a secret society behind the Templars in this series. Yes, they are fascinating. Yes, there is action, fights, and battles. But the focus of this book is within the philosophy and the subject of honor.

A major focus is Shi'ai versus Sunni, Christian versus Saracen, Roman Catholicism versus the Greek Orthodoxy, and finally honor. Hon
Elaine
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
For some reason, Whyte is regularly charged with doing too much research/going into too much detail concerning the historical background. Granted his pre-publication work is extensive-but surely he shouldn't be criticised for this? Given the vacuous nature of so much of today's output, I rather feel he should be praised.

Part 2 of the Templars trilogy brings us forward to the third crusade, lead by Richard the Lionheart. In the process of this we see many deaths of central characters, so clearly
Joe
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The end of the 12th century and the start of the Third Crusade are the backdrop of this well-written middle entry to the author's Templar Trilogy. Richard is not yet the Lionheart and Saladin is pushing the Christians out of the Holy Land. Political intrigue between kings and popes abounds. Young knight Andre St. Clair is swept into the surge of events that eventually leads him and his close family members into battles both military and personal.

No matter what the historical time or place, war i
September
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5*

Hmm. This book, while having likeable enough characters in Alec Sinclair and André St. Clair, seemed to be a bit of a chore to read. Even intriguing characters like the two queens were few and far between in their appearances. The book couldn't be over fast enough.

Speaking of being over, I found the ending to be rather disappointing, somehow. It just kind of fizzled for me.

Since finding both books kind of ho hum, I don't intend on picking up the third and final instalment. Especially knowi
Tiffany
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Dream of Eagles series, I was very eager to try another of Whyte's historical epic series. I haven't been as keen about this one as I was the other, but since I LOVED the other set, I had no-where to really go from there. I do like Whyte's manner of storytelling, I find I sail on through his chapters, swept up in the language and the tale he weaves. I didn't get so attached to the characters in this set, as they change more often than in the other. But, as a fan of Whyte, I can ...more
Heather
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing follow up to the first book in the trilogy, "The Knights of Black and White". Set 90 years after the events of the first book, there is no connection, no follow up, no thread of continuity; so, much so I wonder why he considers this a series. Considering what Whyte had the Templars discover in their diggings in the first book, I found it disappointing that no mention whatsoever was made of that. I just didn't care for any of the characters and I found the whole thing rather pointle ...more
Bill
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, adventure, canlit
This is the second book in the Templar trilogy and I enjoyed it very much. It's a funny sort of book; lots of travelling, from France to the Holy Land and things that happen throughout the journey, but most of the action is talked about after the fact, at least so it seems to me. No romance or sex; this story is about honour. It flowed nicely for all its length, an easy pace. The history is very interesting, that of the 2nd Crusade. Much politics, and plotting. I wasn't sure I wanted to get the ...more
Sandy
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

A good read and alot of details about the prepara
Carol
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book from Jack Whyte. He is a supurb writer who uses a challenging level of vocabulary. The book is the second in a series about The Knight Templars and includes warfare between the Saracen's and the combine forces of Phillip of France and Richard The Lion Heart of England. It includes the religious background of the Knights and the underlying society of the Jews that determine the future paths of these forces.
David Fisher
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
After a promising start to the series I found this the second of the trilogy hugely disappointing. The plot just fails to move convincingly the characters don't develop and the storyline just loses its way. I disliked this so much I haven't bothered to read the final book in the trilogy. Can anyone also explain why a Canadian author who grew up in Scotland chose to spell in "Honour" in the American "Honor'? I know it's being picky but every time I see the title it really bugs me.
Penny
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-version
I really enjoy anything that Jack Whyte writes, maybe a little biased here!
This is about the Knights of the Temple, fighting in Jeruselem in the time of Richard the Lionheart.
Some very good characters that are easy to identify with and just enough adventure to keep the action moving along.
Maybe not be quite as good as The Camulod series by the same author, but just as well researched and written.
I really enjoyed it and look forward to the 3rd and final book in the trilogy.
Zaid Salman
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knights, kings and crusades, seems like a typical medieval novel. It isn,t. This novel transports you into the mind of two christian knights and the complexity of their position. One of a few books in my opinion that actually describe the crusades as acurately as this. They dont leave out the historical facts left out in most books and it gives you a new perspective on the Priory Of Sion. It is a wonderful book and deserves 5/5.
Mary
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. If you're into history, Templar Knights, and the 3rd Crusade, this is an excellent historical novel to read. The characters are interesting and well developed set against the background of the 3rd Crusade which was headed by King Richard the Lionheart. Also some excellent history on the schism between the Sunni and Shi'a Muslims and why they are still enemies to this day.
Bob
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with an interest in the Crusades/Chivalric period
Entertaining sequel to Knights of the Black and White... Whyte doesn't maul the history of the Crusades tooooooo badly and shows proper respect for Saladin and middle Islamic culture. Nicely written "epic" battle scene of the Horns of Hattin, to boot. Better than the first book in the trilogy, and will certainly have me reading the concluding book.
Ernest
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Accessible method to learn about the Battle of Hattin and the Third Crusades. Quite a lot of the book goes into creating the history so there's a lot of talking and explaining of the context of the world at that time. Plot wise, it is less compelling but it attempts to explore the theme of 'What is honor'.
Brian
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little disappointed with this book. It was a continuation of the First book, but lacked any major events that would make you want to finish. It seemed to me that this book was just an interlude until the third and final on was published. I enjoy Jack Whyte as an author and will read the third book, I just wish this one had more meat to it.
Becca
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I forgot I had read this one...

I definitely enjoyed the early Camulod books better than this series, but I don't dislike this set. I love that he doesn't try to "update" the time period by making them too current-sounding or putting too many women in places they wouldn't have been in.

A bit of a spoiler: I want to know more about what happened to Andre! Where'd he go?!
Tiphanie Stocks
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am even more disappointed in this series after reading this book. The characters of Andre St. Clair and Alec Sinclair are very strong, but the story line is very weak. Jack Whyte is a superb author and it is my opinion that a lot more could have been achieved with this story that actually was. I was left not really knowing what the point of the story was.
Jane Walker
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is twice as long as it needs to be. Of course Whyte has to fill in the historical background, but he does so in tedious detail. Conversations go on and on - and on. I hadn't read the first in this trilogy and won't be reading the third. Perhaps if he'd combined them into a single volume?
Amanda Penton
Nov 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book quick enough. Sooooooooo boring. It was very masculine, with a lot of war and battle strategy jargon. But the research is so good, I learn a lot from these books, I want to read them, but it's not enjoyable enough.
  • Requiem: The Fall of the Templars (Brethren Trilogy #3)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • Company of adventurers
  • Whiter Than the Lily (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #7)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery #4)
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • Lion of the Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Sword and Scimitar
  • Crusade (Making of England, #2)
  • The Fall of Rome: A Novel of a World Lost
  • King's Man (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
Jack Whyte is an author and writer born and raised in Scotland, but has been living in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada since 1967.

Whyte's major work to date is the A Dream of Eagles series (as it is titled in Canada, but known as The Camulod Chronicles in the United States and elsewhere). This series of historical novels presents the tale of King Arthur set against the backdrop of Roman Britain.
More about Jack Whyte...

Templar Trilogy (3 books)
  • Knights of the Black and White (Templar Trilogy, #1)
  • Order in Chaos (Templar Trilogy, #3)
“[What is honor]—I suspect that if, after reading this book, you were to go and ask the question of your friends and acquaintances, you might experience some difficultly finding someone who could give you, off the cuff, an accurate and adequate definition of honor. Those who do respond will probably offer synonyms, digging into their memories for other words that are seldom used in today's world, like integrity, probity, morality, and self-sufficiency based upon an ethical and moral code. Some might even refine that further to include a conscience, but no one has ever really succeeded in defining honor absolutely, because it is a very personal phenomenon, resonating differently in everyone who is aware of it. We seldom speak of it today, in our post-modern, post-everything society. It is an anachronism, a quaint, mildly amusing concept from a bygone time, and those of us who do speak of it and think of it are regarded benevolently, and condescendingly, as eccentrics. But honor, in every age except, perhaps, our own, has been highly regarded and greatly respected, and it has always been one of those intangible attributes that everyone assumes they possess naturally and in abundance. The standards established for it have always been high, and often artificially so, and throughout history battle standards have been waved as symbols of the honor and prowess of their owners. But for men and women of goodwill, the standard of honor has always been individual, jealously guarded, intensely personal, and uncaring of what others may think, say, or do.” 5 likes