Start by marking “Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)” as Want to Read:
Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)

Anybody Out There?

(Walsh Family #4)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  56,560 ratings  ·  1,605 reviews
Anna Walsh is officially a wreck. Physically broken and emotionally shattered, she lies on her parents' Dublin sofa with only one thing on her mind: getting back to New York. New York means her best friends, The Most Fabulous Job In The World™ and above all, it means her husband, Aidan.

But nothing in Anna's life is that simple anymore... Not only is her return to Manhattan
Published April 24th 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published May 9th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Anybody Out There?, please sign up.
Melody Laila Yeah! I actually read the last book (Mercy Close) in the "Series" first & fell in love with Marian Keyes' writing. It probably helps if you read it in…moreYeah! I actually read the last book (Mercy Close) in the "Series" first & fell in love with Marian Keyes' writing. It probably helps if you read it in order, you'll probably get a little more out of it - but honestly they're all so good even as stand-alones that it didn't matter to me(less)

·  56,560 ratings  ·  1,605 reviews

Start your review of Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
Jessica
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mostly females
Shelves: topshelf
After reading this book I decided that I will probably never loan it out because I will want to read it over and over again.

This is, by far, the most emotionally provocative book I've ever read. For about the first 25 chapters or so, I was convinced I knew what was going on, only to be hurled into an entire weekend of crying and page-turning. I couldn't stop crying, yet I couldn't put it down.

This book made me realize so many things about myself, life, death, and what it really and truly means
Corey
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mentally classify most novels into one of two broad categories: Literature or Crap. Within the Crap category there are several further levels. Books with negligible literary attributes (like no plot, no character development, poor writing, etc....ehh hmmm... Twilight) fall into the "Watching TV" category (because reading one of these books is the intellectual equivalent and takes the same amount of effort as sitting through a TV show). Marian Keyes' books definitely do not fall into the Litera ...more
LENA TRAK
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
My best friend recommended this and I have to thank her for it. A lovely book, I remember crying my eyes out so I often had to put it down, get a grip and then go on. Easily read even though I hadn't read the first 3 books of the Walsh Family series. If you enjoyed books by Ahern or Kinsella then you will love Keyes' style!
Bev
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'd have to put this book in my list of top-ten favorites of all time! I picked up the book-on-tape version at the library and immediately fell in love with Marian Keyes. I had to get the print version to enjoy the story again, and I am not usually one to re-read books (because there are so many others on my "to-read" list)!

After reading this most engaging novel, I felt compelled to read all of Keyes' other books, most of which were wonderful as well. This one remains my favorite of hers, howev
Becky
Jan 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one terrible mess, which is surprising because it's written by a "bestselling" author. I mean, the dialogue...does she really think people talk like that? And what was up with all those boring email sections, which did nothing to add to the story. Plus, all the main characters are super annoying, especially the parts concerning the main character's job.

The most obnoxious part of the story is the "plot twist" which happens about 200 pages into the book. I'm fairly certain that every
Danielle
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-ladies
This was my first Marian Keyes book, so I haven't read the others about the Walsh sisters. I think I have a hard time getting into a lot of books, it usually takes the first 100 pages before I care about the book. Once I hit the turning point in the novel (around chapter 25) it was un-put-down-able. Seriously, I read the majority of the book on Sunday afternoon (about 300 pages).

I enjoy Anna, there is a lot that I can relate to about her under the surface. She is a PR Account Executive, I've wor
Saadia B. || Hustle, Bustle and Hurdles
Powerful narrative.
Krystal
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm having a love affair with Keyes at the moment. Started with Lucy Sullivan gets married (loved it) hiccuped with Watermelon (not so much) then on to Rachel's holiday (rivaled Lucy's story) and now, this one. Anybody out there is Anna's story. Keyes was on point in this book, Anna was heartbreakingly familiar. When I realized where her story was heading I was a bit angry, as I was already in love with Anna and Andy as a couple...how could Keyes do this to me. It was the delicate way that Keyes ...more
Sep 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, british
I read the Marian Keyes novels completely out of order, having started with a copy of Watermelon my mum leant me when I was home on break. As a result, I perhaps saw the Sullivan girls mature in a slightly different order than other people who read the books in "order."

Nevertheless, I was confused by this book, and one other, Rachel's Holiday. From the initial character development I got on Anna and Rachel, I always felt that it would have made far more sense to send Anna to rehab.

This book w
notgettingenough
Mar 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Why I will never read this book. The verdict is in.

As I wandered down to my local coffee shop the other morning, I couldn’t help noticing a little pile of books somebody had put on the footpath, part of a clearing up. A motley collection, if ever I saw one, was my professional assessment.

Over the next couple of days the pile got smaller. Somebody took the book on ’Twenty-two ways to improve the feng shui of your lavatory.’ And ‘Things you can do with bonsai plants if you have a front loader.’ E
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Brittany Bennett
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Brittany by: Tia
Kind of a weepy girl book. I had a hard time being convinced that their relationship was so amazing and am pretty sure that had this been a real couple, it would have seemed so great simply because she'd only been with the guy for a year and half - fully still within the infatuation stage. But still - the feelings are there regardless of the reasons for them, and it didn't keep me from emphasizing with her entirely.

I also felt like Keyes tried a little too hard to be cutesy, especially in the f
Julie
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS AHEAD - do not read if you plan to read this book!!

I've had a sense of deja vu lately when I've been reading. One was with Remember Me? and the other one was with this great one by Marion Keyes. It's been ages since I read PS I Love You by Cecilia Ahern but I think the premise was similar - in this one, the main character has been seriously injured in a car crash that has killed her newlywed husband. She is in denial of this fact for the first third of the book but then comes to accept
Nina
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good holiday read, with more grit than I had expected.
Zen Cho
Jun 05, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but it was not the kind of book I would ever have picked up on my own. This is because it is pretty bad. It's not that I dislike chicklit as a genre so much as that it is not a genre I will forgive occasional badness in so long as it presses my buttons, and this was just all sloppy writing and uninteresting characters. Characters is kinda overstating it; they were more names plus associated collections of tics.

But as I said, it was not as bad as
Hildy
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
first read: February 2011
second read: December 2016

This is one of my favourite books. It is rare that I read about a couple that is so obviously perfect for each other and so intensely in love. I miss that. This book is quirky, laugh out loud funny, and so emotional. Keyes nailed every part of this. It was long but I still wish that there was more to read.
Alisha Marie
Anybody Out There was a book that started out really great. However, after a while, not only did it start to drag on, it also started to resemble a mess...a mildly intriguing mess, but a mess none the less. Now, I don't need much from a chick-lit to be happy, but in Anybody Out There, I just needed more.

The Good: Part 1. Part 1 of Anybody Out There was the best out of the three parts in this book. The family dynamics, which was my favorite part of Anybody Out There, were more prominent in the fi
Jen
Dec 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who aren't already sad enough
Recommended to Jen by: Gg
I love the various Marian Keyes books, especially the ones featuring the individual sisters from the Irish family, the Walshes. Her books are almost standard chick-lit fare, but Keyes's writing and her doses of Irish wickedness make them stand above the crowd.

This book features the fourth Walsh sister, Anna. We've met Anna in the other Walsh sister books, where she's something of a spacey, hippie-ish waif, but here she's been transformed into a savvy New York business woman--a bit of a stretch,
LindyLouMac
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update to post with My Review: March 19th, 2020

For the second time recently, I have chosen to read a novel, that is part of a series, without realising until after I had finished! The first one in the Walsh family series was 'Water Melon' which I read in 1996, cannot recall the content now, neither have I read any of the others. Honestly, I do not feel this matters as it stands alone perfectly. A sad read but Marian Keyes has lifted the story with a lot of humour, so expect tears and laughs. Do
Lyndall Rae
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This is literally the first book to ever make me cry. Another winner by Marian Keyes. 👏🏼
Julie
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about one of the Walsh sisters. There are five sisters in this Irish family that Marian Keyes has written several books about. This one is about Anna. It begins with her in in Ireland at her parents' home, although we find out early that she lives in New York and is here recovering. We also know that she misses Aidan very much and that she feels she must recover from her injuries quickly so that she can get back to New York to find him. What we do not know is what happened to her ...more
Amanda Patterson
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-remember
Anna Walsh sits and convalesces at her family home in Ireland, thinking obsessively of her husband, Aidan, and their life in New York. Why, you wonder, does she not just call him?
Anna is surrounded in true Keyes fashion by a nutty mother, and an assortment of eccentric sisters. Keyes is on top form in this novel and Anybody Out There? is up there with the best she’s ever written. Like her character, Anna Walsh, one has the sense that Marian Keyes also had to grow up eventually and deal with som
DebKiwi
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Marian Keyes just doesn't have the "cool" factor as an author.
This story would have been ok had it been condensed onto 1/3 of the pages and really what were those hideous emails from her ridiculous mother about.. they didn't add to the story at all.
A really dumb read.
Melinda Elizabeth
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
whoops I did it again, read a book half way through a series I didn't know existed... but the best part is that you definitely didn't need any prior knowledge of the Walsh family to enjoy this one!

Anna is in Dublin recuperating. We are given details sparingly about what is wrong with her and how it happened, and we aren't too sure what is going on with her husband Aidan. Is she stalking him? Are they talking? Why is he ignoring her when she gets back to New York?

Split into three parts, Anybody
Colleen
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
One of the reviewers of this book said she classifies books into either literature or crap. I would probably call the second category "fluff" instead. The reviewer also mentions there are levels within the categories. So true. This book is "fluff" but it has some good messages about the difficulty of the grieving process. For about a third of the book, we don't know why Anna Walsh has been injured or why her husband doesn't seem to be responding to her. We experience her crazy family and friends ...more
Jane Long
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book as I do with most of Marian Keyes' books. I agree though with my daughter Samantha, who read this book first and said she enjoyed it, but the story was a bit depressing. (Even Marian Keyes agreed!) I felt I knew the characters fairly well as they have been in a few of the books I have read by the same author. The family is quite big and lots of different things are going on all the time.
Victoria
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was poignant and bittersweet

The second to youngest Walsh girl Anna has always been a free spirit, going her own way. In this story we meet her in a very different way. Struggling to cope with the loss of her husband after a car accident. She is not coming to terms with her grief at first, and Keyes is masterful at allowing the story to unfold, allowing us to see Anna work through all the stages of her grief. very well written
Ilene Harris
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Anybody Out There?” Life is perfect for Anna Walsh. She has the perfect job in the Big Apple along with a great apartment and the best friends. What could go wrong? Everything! She wakes up one morning in her parent’s house in Dublin, Ireland with stitches on her face, a broken arm and a dislocated knee, and no memory of what happened to her. A great mystery along with the best family relationships book and excellent writing.
Oriyah Nitkin
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a fun book that read like a movie. Nice plot, though I felt that certain revelations would have been better later on in the book, and it left me hanging a little more than I would have liked. Fun, quick, good - (even.) And then it was done and mostly unremarkable. But good while it lasted.
Denise
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Marian Keyes is one of those authors who is so ridiculously popular that I suppose it was only a matter of time until I finally gave in and gave one of her books a try, never mind that I don't care for the genre much. This was... fine, I guess. I enjoyed the writing, but I'd have been fine with the book being half as long - after a while, I just got tired of all the silly obnoxious people being silly and obnoxious.

• The Other Woman
  • Can You Keep a Secret?
  • The Undomestic Goddess
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Babyville
  • Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Queen of Babble, #3)
  • Just Friends
  • Bookends
  • Remember Me?
  • The Devil Wears Prada (The Devil Wears Prada, #1)
  • Jemima J
  • Cocktails for Three
  • Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)
  • Mr. Maybe
  • Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)
  • The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more

Walsh Family (6 books)
  • Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
  • Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2)
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • The Mystery of Mercy Close (Walsh Family, #5)
  • Mammy Walsh's A-Z of the Walsh Family (Walsh Family, #5.1)