Start by marking “Chronicle of the Popes: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Papacy From St. Peter to the Present” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
For nearly two thousand years the popes have not only shaped the course of one of the world's great religions but have also played a part—sometimes a dominant part—in the history of Europe. Martyrs, monks, noblemen, Franciscans, Dominicans, hermits, and even unordained laymen have occupied the throne of St. Peter. This book recounts the lives and deeds of the popes from Pe ...more
Published November 17th 1997 by Thames Hudson (first published November 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chronicle of the Popes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chronicle of the Popes

GoldGato
When the rains start and the days darken, I love a good history volume, preferably one that doesn't require too much slogging (those are saved for laundry days). This book hit the spot...with a cup of hot chocolate to keep me company, the adventures and politics of centuries of Pontiffs kept me very enthralled indeed. Each biographical account brings the Papacy to life, with historical illustrations and maps included.

The Papacy is the last connection to the Roman Empire, breathing history, so I
Halool Angela
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very interesting chronicle of the Popes' reign but it lets you with more questions than answers regarding religion and faith. After reading it I feel I have to do further researches to get the answers I'm looking for.
Ryan Patrick
A useful survey of all the popes, although it is probably best to read it alongside a more in-depth treatment of the papacy as an institution (something like Eamon Duffy's Saints and Sinners: A History of the Popes). With its focus on chronicling each and every pope, even if the author must simply say 'this pope is rather obscure', it sometimes lacks a bit of narrative cohesion. But, it does what it says and has lots of nice pictures.
booklady
May 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this series. If I had the money and space I'd have all the books in it. As it is I only have the two I need and like the best--this one and the Chronicle of the Old Testament Kings. Colorful, very browse-able, full of fascinating facts. Not up to research standands but great if you want a quick synposis on one or two of the Popes, or just want to get a quick review of the papacy overall.
Sarah -
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-popes
Something about the papacy fascinates me, despite my being decidedly not catholic. Perhaps that is why, actually.

Anyway, interesting look at the history of the papacy, starting with St Peter. Drags along in some places, and who knew that so many popes died so quickly, natural causes or otherwise.
Amanda
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
It was good, but I don't think I'll read it again. I liked learning about the papacy and thought it was cool that there was a pope from Volterra, Italy! lol. Thier view of St. Peter was quite interesting as well.
Julia
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good reference book !!!
Jim
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Good stuff...details the known facts of the Holy Father or the not-so Holy Father including the False Popes and Anti-Popes....
George Rae
Phantom
Sep 27, 2013
Mauro Mello
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very useful reference book.
John P
Jan 23, 2011
H.M.
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Peter G. Maxwell-Stuart is a Research Fellow in the Department of History at the University of Aberdeen and an Honorary Lecturer in the Department of History in the University of St. Andrews.

Source: Macmillan
More about P.G. Maxwell-Stuart...