Start by marking “An Army of Davids: How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Goliaths” as Want to Read:

Book by Reynolds, Glenn
Published March 5th 2006 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about An Army of Davids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Army of Davids

Start your review of An Army of Davids: How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Goliaths
Philski
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book but if you read Glenn Reynolds' blog (instapundit.com) you already know most of what he's going to be saying about the little guy vs. the big guy and the areas of his interests, primarily bloggers, space and the singularity... I highly recommend following his and his wifes' (Helen Smith) blogs.
Ezzy
Dec 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
There are probably interesting things to say about how technology is empowering people to do things only previously available to the rich and mega-corporations. Unfortunately, this book is not really about those things. Reynolds takes what he sees day-to-day, which is the upper-middle class bloggers and other similar groups, and combines that with what he apparently really wants to be true, and extrapolates from there. Years after this book was written, and we've seen corporations co-opt this te ...more
M. J.
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
David
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Tal recommended this book to me a few months ago, and it was pretty good. Reynolds makes a reasonably convincing case that the phenomenon of wide-scale distribution rather than centralized control is having a radical effect on subjects as diverse as law enforcement, the collection and dissemination of news, education, and space exploration.

Reynolds makes his strongest points first - his speculative futurism is not as strong as his analysis of trends which are already in progress. In
Ezra
On page 36 there is a quote about Athens, GA where I live about a wireless network downtown anyone can use. When I first moved here, there was something like this, but I had to have a university account to make use of it. Also, I did not recognize Blue Sky Coffee, the coffee shop mentioned. So I looked up the article quoted, "Urban Renewal: The Wireless Way" and the coffee shop. Blue Sky Coffee closed less than a month afte ...more
Calvin
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of people who've written on the effects of technology in terms of empowering the individual or small groups or marginalized groups/dispersed groups. But there are a couple of things that set Army Of Davids apart from the others.

First, Reynolds doesn't take an us vs them approach. He doesn't suggest (for example) that small time citizen journalists are going to replace Big Media. Instead, he talks about what each is good at and how citizen journalism complements Big Me
McGrouchpants, Ltd.
Good, sound reasoning; clear, wide-ranging reporting; non-ostentatious, pie-in-the-sky claims made or conclusions drawn ... why isn't this book reaching a broader audience? I suppose it's the inevitable "heard above the din" problem, accessible media or not; maybe it came out with no small amount of attention at the time, and it just got lost in the shuffle since. Maybe I'm just a dumbass on some days (never impossible!). I don't want to summarize this book, or get into too much analysis; it rea ...more
Kelly
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting look at the use of ever-less-costly technology to empower individuals, small business, and other less dominant groups to compete with larger, wealthier, and better organized entities that previously had a lock on media and industry. Anyone who is familiar with Prof. Reynolds' online blogging persona, Instapundit, knows of the professor's libertarian leanings, with which the subject matter here dovetails nicely.

The strength of An Army of Davids lies more with its ideas than with
Anna
Jun 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-300
This book was okay. It's about the way information is changing the world and allowing individuals to have more control over larger industries.

I didn't finish the book because it went off in places that I didn't interests me for example he talks about journalism and how war vets are blogging and calling the big news companies on their lies etc...actually this did interest but he went on for chapters when his point was already made. Stuff like that made the book a little less enjoyable for me but
Nicholas
Dale
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I got a pre-release copy. Good book.

For those who don't know, Glenn Reynolds is a law professor at the University of Tennessee and is a blogger extraordinaire. He created Instapundit.com

Reynolds is always an enjoyable read online.

He rightly argues that freedom and liberty allow ordinary men to overcome the tyranny of government, the mainstream media, etc.
Pmaccabe
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If there is one book about our culture you haven't ever heard of that I'd recommend you read this would probably be it. Professor Reynold's talks about how technology is already and will likely to continue to transform our culture. An awesome book.
Adam
Jun 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, students, professionals, parents, everyone
This is a must read. Not fiction or a novel. A great and thoughtful analysis on where technology and the internet will bring us in 20 years. How society is evolving, the impact globalization is having.

JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The was interesting reading with lots of anecdotes, but the subtitle really summarizes the point. I especially appreciated the description about how blogging is affecting mass media. I also gathered quite a few additions to my reading list from this book.
Gregory
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
I would have rated this three stars had I read it when it first came out, but the information is just not new to me anymore.
Joe Martin
"An Army of Davids: How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Golia by Glenn Reynolds (2006)"
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A should-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and social trends.
Wanda Shapiro
I loved this book and found interest beyond expectation. I was as inspired as I hope to be by the title and I found lots more very thought provoking material on topics I didn't expect.
Nura Yusof
Interesting treatise on a growing social and economical trend. An empowering read for those who could not voice out their discontent before. Technology has now given them a loudspeaker.
Douglas Wilson
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: culture-studies
Decent.
Amy Young
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting take on the power/role/effectiveness of smaller groups being able to respond to things (i.e. bloggers/big media).
Eric
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great analysis of how individuals and small groups can more effectively tackle things in ways large governments and corporations cannot.
Joe Miller
Anne
Jul 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Bridge Betrayed: Religion and Genocide in Bosnia
  • The Global Class War: How America's Bipartisan Elite Lost Our Future - and What It Will Take to Win It Back
  • The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity
  • Blood and Politics: The History of the White Nationalist Movement from the Margins to the Mainstream
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • Critical: What We Can Do About the Health-Care Crisis
  • Military Inc.: Inside Pakistan's Military Economy
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • Plenty Enough Suck to Go Around
  • The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban
  • Deception: Pakistan, the United States, and the Secret Trade in Nuclear Weapons
  • Stripping Bare the Body: Politics, Violence, War