Start by marking “Software for Your Head: Core Protocols for Creating and Maintaining Shared Vision” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Most people have experienced--at least once in their lives--the incomparable thrill of being part of a great team effort. They can remember the unity of purpose they experienced, the powerful passion that inspired them, and the incredible results they achieved. People who have been on a great team can attest that the difference between being on a team with a shared vision ...more
Published January 6th 2002 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Software for Your Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Software for Your Head

Randy
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
Jim and Michelle have distilled years of experience running and being part of high performance teams into a single book build up from "protocols" which you can use no matter how different two people are in their communications styles.

The most important (corporate america take note) is the check-in/check-out protocols. If you go to a meeting, engage. If you find that there is something else you should be doing rather than just being physically present in a meeting, then you should go do it. Simpl
Karen
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
The authors created a Team Building business based on their real world experiences in the software industry. Although a little loosely written, there is good stuff in here, a lot of which has been reaffirmed by other team gurus and software methodologies.

Key takeaways:
1) "If you tolerate it, you insist on it" - in other words, don't put up with nonsense. Demand or dismiss behaviors that don't encourage participation.
2) Alignment, check ins, vision, etc. are all ways to improve communication -
Derek Neighbors
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is rare that a book changes your life. This book is one of those books. I learned about the Core Protocols at an Open Space Agile conference in Portland. I brought some of the ideas to the team I was working on at the time. They fell by the wayside and then a few years later I tried them with a new team. They quickly became a key set of guiding principles for communication in my work and in my life in general. This is a must read for anyone working on teams or in a marriage.
Michelle Middleton
Sep 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-owned
don't even remember buying, must have been gift
Joseph Carrabis
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of my studies in group psychology, group dynamics, interpersonal theory, relationship theory, et cetera. The McCarthys are experts in the field of software development and keen observers, able to recognize and capitalize on what works, and they are not rooted in psychodynamics and psychologic theory. However their lack of skill/knowledge in those disciplines didn't get in the way of an excellent read. One could argue that they wrote a better book because they didn't come from ...more
Mike Gunderloy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I remember enjoying this one when it first came out. It didn't hold up well to re-reading years later. This is a book for managing teams, provided you have teams of automata who will execute the "core protocols" exactly as written, and who don't have quirks, personalities, and lives of their own. On the whole, I think this is a managerial dead-end.
Janet
Feb 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jim McCarthy started a company to teach how to develop shared vision and how to team. The book describes the "protocols" to reprogram ourselves and "merge" ladders of inference to be in alignment. I haven't attended the course, but am sure it is phenomenal. We are all wired to let our beliefs from the past get in the way of the present and McCarthy has an effective shortcut for teams to learn to overcome our human wiring.
Keith Sader
Oct 02, 2012
Vladimir
Jan 15, 2015
Narti
rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2016