Start by marking “The Scarecrow of Oz” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Scarecrow of Oz

L. Frank Baum

Read Book* *Different edition

The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz #9)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  4,547 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
pubOne.info thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. "The uplifters" of Los Angeles, California, in
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published July 16th 1915)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarecrow of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarecrow of Oz

Evgeny
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Cap'n Bill and Trot are the characters from the other author series. Their appearance here makes this installment a crossover. Crossover or not, the overall plot is very similar to that of the previous book. These two people were sucked in a giant whirlpool
Whirlpool
and ended up in an unknown place. They had a lot of adventures and met some exotic creatures trying to get to civilization - the Land of Oz in this case.
Land of Oz

If you think it sounds familiar - Dorothy was in this same situation at least 4 times be
Susan
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
I like to think of this as Baum's big crossover episode. Not having read a lot of Baum outside of the Oz books, I was a little thrown off by these two characters I was clearly supposed to know already (from Baum's Sea Fairies and Sky Island it turns out) but it's easy enough to recover. Both Trot and Cap'n Bill are hard not to like, and the change of pace is more than a little refreshing after all the sameness in the previous book. There is another shipwreck (of sorts) but it at least happens in ...more
Shoshana
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I'll start with the one flaw: Too much boring stuff at the end when the main plot thread is already resolved. Baum does this a lot. I forgive him in this book because it is just so good. It never used to be a favorite of mine, but now it might be my absolutely favorite of the 9 I've read in a row.

The opening chapters are among my favorite chapters Baum has ever written - when Trot and Cap'n Bill are hanging out waiting to sail. They are languid and warm and everything I want in a book sometimes.
Latasha
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lol I love these book because to the modern reader, they are so messed up. making fun of people with only 1 eye, turning people's heart to ice... I didn't love this story as much as ozma of oz but it wasn't awful.
Garrett Kilgore
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the back half of the book, once they got to Oz. The romantic subplot was delightful and I can always use more Orks
Grace
This book had a bit of a different feel to it, even though it followed the basic Oz book outline (person from earth gets lost in some mysterious/natural disaster-related way, then has sundry adventures as they road-trip their way to the Emerald City).

The two main characters - Trot and Cap'n Bill - appeared in a non-Oz book of Baum's, which I have not read. There are references to that story, but this story is stand-alone enough so that you're not lost if you haven't read the characters' other s
Tom Durham Jr.
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review 3

To begin this EXCITING review, I would like to just say that this is by far the weirdest book you will ever read. You have been warned. L. Frank Baum has a VERY unique imagination and way of writing. Although he may be… (let’s just leave it at that), he did write the legendary novel The Wizard of Oz. It is obvious because this book happens to be The Scarecrow of Oz. In fact all his books follow the same title formula “The *Blank* of Oz”. I have already marked that against this book’s sta
Melissa
One of the worse Oz books. The story was decent but it did not match up with other oz books. Ozma, Glinda, and the Wizard could not use their great powers to remove the bad king and evil witch so they send the Scarecrow. All the characters from the other books are here but they are shoved into chapters near the end of the book.
Rebecca McNutt
The last time I read any of the Oz books I was in middle school, but I decided to read this one again because I remember it the most out of all of them. The detailed fantasy world within the pages and the friendship of the characters makes it really a book worth reading.
Suzanne
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
L. Frank Baum has such a wonderful imagination! The scarecrow wasn't really the main character in this (despite the title), but Trot and her friends are a nice little group. My favorite parts of these books are the different lands/areas that get visited - so fun.
Nathansizemore
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
80/100

Supposedly this was Baum's favorite of his Oz books. I can understand why, particularly if you're a fan of the Scarecrow but it follows a similar pattern to the rest of the series. Some new character shows up, familiar characters meet them, they have adventures in a new place and finally get to the Emerald City.
Garrett Zecker
Doma Publishing's Wizard of Oz collection has taken me several years to read with my son at bedtime. It was interesting revisiting the texts that I read swiftly through my youth, as I was about his age when I read them and remembered little beyond some of the characters that don't appear in any of the books. I picked up a copy of this version since, for 99c, I could have the complete series along with "All the original artwork by the great illustrator W.W. Denslow (over 1,000 classic illustratio ...more
Annette
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Victoria
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book introduces two characters, Cap'n Bill and Trot, who first made an appearance in another of Baum's fantasy stories. Although their former adventures aren't really explained in this book, the implicit backstory added a bit of depth to the characters, something that was lacking in other characters introduced to the Oz series - Betsy Bobbin, for example. The dynamic between Trot and Cap'n Bill was quite sweet, and their adventures were fairly engaging. My main problem with this book was it ...more
Stephanie Ricker
This was supposedly Baum's favorite of the Oz books, and the beginning is surprisingly adult, with Trot and Cap'n Bill trapped underground. There are some genuinely scary moments, and I found myself really liking the main characters. The adventures in Jinxland later in the book were less enjoyable and less realistic, and it wasn't terribly clear why the Scarecrow got top billing in the title, given his limited involvement.
Patricia Vocat
This series is clearly written for children, but it's entertaining enough for adults to enjoy.
As in all Oz books I read so far the main characters end up in a fantastic land and are unable to do anything other than get into serious trouble with the locals.
This time the scarecrow makes his appearance towards the end to save the day.
There is too little Scarecrow for a book on the Scarecrow.
Mitchell
Another Oz book. Another set of new-ish characters (and just a few old ones) on a travelogue to Oz. Sure it's a formula but not done too badly here. The Ork's are a bit of a standout, basically a kind like a bird but with propellers. And there is an evil witch and berries that make you smaller and bigger. It actually read fairly pleasantly though clearly shows its age.
Holli
I'm sad to say none of these has re-captured the joy of the first one. They kind of all seem to be the same story over and over, in a sense. This one also contradicts the fact that there are no more wicked witches in Oz. Glinda was stated to be the only witch left in Oz, or did I miss something here?
Brandy
Good gravy, we were better than halfway through the book before the Scarecrow--the titular character, need I remind you--even showed up.

Now a bad installment--no weird racism or sexist overtones this time, at least--but kinda boring.

Off to the library tomorrow to get the next one. I get a one-night reprieve from reading Oz books!
Morgan
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-canon
I liked this one. It was better then the previous book because it wasn't as confusing. I liked Trot and Cap'n Bill. Didn't care much of the Ork. And there was a little slow part with Gloria and Pon. Other then that this was a good one.
Joanna Gold
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so far pretty good i like the ork but he's a little selfish and a little spoiled theres a part in the book when the girl asks what is an ork and he says "i am!" but it was funny.
Casey Anderson
Not my favorite but not terrible. Trot wasn't exceptionally likable. But I loved the Ork. I love learning about new lands and new parts of Oz, so that part was nice.
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally. This review covers all 14 of the Baum Oz books, which is why it's found on all 14 book pages here.)

I think it's fairly safe by now to assume that nearly everyone in Western society is familiar with The Wizard of Oz, most of us because of the classic 1939 movie adaptation; and many realize as well tha
Matthew Hunter
Baum appears to have reached the saturation point with Oz. 90% of The Scarecrow of Oz takes place in Jinxland, an isolated kingdom in Oz with a mean king named Krewl. (See what he did there?) So it's Oz, but not really Ozma's utopian Oz. Baum's annoyingly-repetitive formula of a motley crew journeying together and meeting random crazy characters (Bumpy Man, Blinkie, Googly-Goo, the Ork) holds sway again, but he limits the involvement of everyone's favorite Ozians (Dorothy, Toto, Tin Man, Ozma, G ...more
Lori Lyons
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about new characters who visit Oz by mistake and who end up in a part of OZ that is not easily accessible to the rest of the land of Oz.

This is a good read for a child to keep them mellowing entertained. The scenes are not described in detail, so the reader should be able to use their imagination to fill in the gaps and be ok with not knowing a lot of details.

At the beginning it was hard to be interested in the new characters, but as you read about their difficult adventure to f
J.J. Mainor
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An up and down story for me. Wasn't too caught up with the beginning - felt too much like a random series of unrelated adventures as you see in previous installments. Once they got to Jinxland, it turned around for me. The palace intrigue was simple, but it was different from what I've seen in the previous books, and it made this a 4 star book for me until it wrapped up and the book went on 3 chapters longer than it should have with the usual shtick of our characters going to the Emerald City an ...more
Denise Kruse
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revisited because the last book I read was set in Orkney and it made me remember the Ork from Orkland in this book. I loved the Oz books when I was young and still do. Silly, with many a gently wise message, Trot and Cap’n Bill encounter travails, odd characters and magical doodads. John R. Neill’s loose “Gibson Girl/Art Nouveau” style drawings impress me still.
Sharon
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining Oz book, although I was wondering if furious Scarecrow was ever going to join the party as he comes in kinda late. We get to meet new and interesting people both good and bad as well as some of our old favorites. The grandsons enjoyed it and now we are on book ten in the series. Recommend to all who love Oz and fantasy that is sometimes silly.
Cliff Jr.
Pretty standard Oz fare. Pleasant read, but I was kind of disappointed that this one wasn't really *about* the Scarecrow. He figured into the second half of the book, but I wanted something more like The Tin Woodman of Oz, which went into more depth on the title character.
  • Kabumpo in Oz (Oz, #16)
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • The Last Empire: Essays 1992-2000
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...

Oz (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • The Lost Princess of Oz (Oz, #11)
“No Queen with a frozen heart is fit to rule any country.” 13 likes
“...but those as knows the least have a habit of thinkin' they know all there is to know, while them as knows the most admits what a turr'ble big world this is. It's the knowing ones that realize one lifetime ain't long enough to git more'n a few dips o' the oars of knowledge.” 4 likes