Start by marking “Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature” as Want to Read:
Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature

Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"Dissatisfaction with nature flows throughout Western civilization, as deep as its blood, as abiding as its bones. Convinced to the marrow that something is deeply wrong with nature, . . . the Western world tries to remake it into something better."
For Priscilla Stuckey, this is a fundamental and heartbreaking misconception: that nature can be fixed, exploited, or simply
Published September 1st 2012 by Counterpoint LLC (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kissed by a Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissed by a Fox

Jenny Checchia
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
This book has challenged the way I preceive my world. I live in New York City, a place I considered having no nature and no connection to the planet as it use to be. After reading Kissed by a Fox I see nature everywhere! And I say hello. In return I find myself less lonely and isolated. Bugs, plants, animals, the sky, all of it is beautiful and interesting and I am connected to it. This gentle writer taught me about how humans have evolved in their relationship to the earth and how illness and s ...more
Debbie "DJ"
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, animals
This book takes an in-depth look at our relationship with the earth. I loved reading about the emotions of animals, and all things living...including rocks. This is a powerful read that is part memoir, part philosophical / religious and thus historical account of why we hold the feelings we do. The author has spent a lot of time researching how our current attitudes have taken hold. How we see the world in a mechanical way and our need to dominate the earth instead of live in tune with it. The o ...more
Dnicebear
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms Stuckey helps me commune with the spirit of one of my favorite fairy tale in childhood, The White Snake, in which whisperings of the animal world become intelligible.

This is one of many important paragraphs: "More than a spiritual flaw within an individual person, greed is a failure of relationship. It is a symptom of forgetting--failing to remember that there are others, that one is not alone. It is a lack of reciprocity, an assumption that the benefits of the Earth can flow continuously in
Robert Hill
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that needs to be read reflectively. It is very spiritual reading. Their is more personal story than I thought there would be when I first began to read. There is much recounting of loss and of love. It is a story of healing. It could be presented as a course in philosophy, religion and certainly spirituality. I appreciated the depth of history of various economists and philosophers. I really enjoyed the recounting of alternative medical practices that the author discus ...more
Page Lambert
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I confess. I want this title. I want this cover. I covet the complexity of this accomplished work and the gracious wisdom of this accomplished author.

To read Priscilla Stuckey’s memoir KISSED BY A FOX requires patience – it is not for the reader seeking a “fast book” experience. But if you’re drawn to the slow food movement, which is all about savoring each bite and commitment to environment and community, then you’re the perfect reader for this Counterpoint Press release.

I just posted m
Marilyn
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

An important new writer named Priscilla Stuckey comes to us now with her first delicious nonfiction memoir Kissed By a Fox. I was drawn to it so intensely that I did something I have never done. I read the whole of it over one 24 hour period. You might say I steeped myself in it, and this steeping richly fed me.
It’s a personal story, and that story gains compelling depth because Stuckey offers not just her story of disaffection from nature and the long journey back into oneness with the earth.
Heather kranz
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a while to finish. I felt so melancholy after every reading. The writer was depressed a lot in her personal parts of the story, plus the topic itself was sad. The author has a masters and doctorate degree in religious studies and she applied it to help understand our disconnect to the natural world. I learned three things. 1) our human history of religion and philosophy brought us to nature and took us away again. The paradigms of the times influenced our thoughts and perceptio ...more
Leslee Breene
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature and animal lovers
An amazing nature-themed book combined with interwoven personal story of the author, Priscilla Stuckey. I savored this deeply felt novel which, at times, brought me to a sense of the author's early depression, as well as lifted me to enlightenment of her palpable reaching out to the natural world of animals, plant life, birds, etc. The natural world responds to Ms. Stuckey in a way that seems both fantasy and reality. Her meticulous literary journey is admirable. The kind of a book that one can ...more
Donna
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a beautifully written biography that also goes deep into our relations with nature, plants, animals and spirituality. You will also learn much about spiritual traditions, economics, history, western cultures, other cultures and much more. Priscilla is an acquaintance that I have known through environmental groups and now having bought this book from her as she was moving away from Boulder, I felt like this book has gotten me to know her on a much deeper level. Blessings, Priscilla, ...more
Kathy Kaiser
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. Stuckey has an amazing ability to "communicate" with nature, and her stories stretched my awareness of the animal and plant world. She combines these tales with the shameful history of how humans have treated nature, which is made worse by the realization of nature's "intelligence." This book made me,in turn, angry, sad and inspired. In the end it is hopeful, especially if we consider a change in our attitudes.
Sylvia Walker
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, nature
Beautifully written. Explains in detail how we've become alienated from and indifferent to nature. I would point out that it's not only native peoples who have special insights into nature; many Christians are drawn into Creation Care, too. No disagreements about where our greed and materialism are leading us, and the Planet, though!
David Holtzclaw
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kissed By A Fox, is an elegantly written book, that puts nature into a whole new perspective. From the poetry of Rumi, to the thorough historical narrative, it's enlightening,delightful,& completely entertaining! I won this book through the Goodreads-First Read giveaway,& would highly recommend it!
Caroline Cottom
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is much more than stories about the author's encounters with nature. Stuckey uses each personal encounter as a jumping off point to explore the meaning of life, death, love, commitment, and many other big issues. It is beautifully and thoughtfully written.
Anna Gabur
Apr 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To me this book was the love child of a hipster diary and a bad doctorate thesis which contains so many fallacies that I will not even bother enumerating them.
Verna
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written memoir that extends the genre with stories of animals--in their own right and in the ways they have affected the author's growth and understanding of the world.
Babs
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book seem to have elements I would really enjoy. However, it fell short for me.
LibraryLady
An interesting read with metaphysical and historical information in addition to the author's personal anecdotes.
Skye
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the direct interactions with animals and nature, the beautiful section on saving the creek in Berkeley. The rest rest got a bit heady for me.
Claire
Dec 27, 2014
Dana
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Old Souls Book Club: Could you imagine a flower growing as a duty? 3 8 Aug 11, 2016 09:06PM
Animals, Nature, Spirituality, Health, Grief 1 3 Dec 14, 2012 08:15AM
  • A Hummingbird in My House: The Story of Squeak
  • Corvus: A Life with Birds
  • Holdfast: At Home in the Natural World
  • Settled in the Wild: Notes from the Edge of Town
  • Zombie Tits, Astronaut Fish and Other Weird Animals
  • Providence of a Sparrow: Lessons from a Life Gone to the Birds
  • Wolves at Our Door: The Extraordinary Story of the Couple Who Lived with Wolves
  • The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • Adventures in Yarn Farming: Four Seasons on a New England Fiber Farm
  • Body Toxic: An Environmental Memoir
  • Walking My Dog Jane: From Valdez to Prudhoe Bay Along the Trans-Alaska Pipeline
  • Where's the Next Shelter?
  • Perfection of the Morning: A Woman's Awaking in Nature
  • Part Wild: One Woman's Journey with a Creature Caught Between the Worlds of Wolves and Dogs
  • About Birds: A Guide for Children
  • Vulture View
  • The Wolf Almanac, New and Revised: A Celebration of Wolves and Their World
  • My Green Manifesto: Down the Charles River in Pursuit of a New Environmentalism
Priscilla Stuckey is a writer and spiritual counselor with a passion for reconnecting people with nature. Her first book, Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature, won the 2013 WILLA Award for Creative Nonfiction. She received a PhD from the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley and has taught in the graduate programs of Prescott College (AZ) and Naropa University (CO). She has ...more
More about Priscilla Stuckey...
“If mind belongs to humans alone, then stones, trees, and streams become mere objects of human tinkering. We can plunder the earth's resources with impunity, treating creeks and mountaintops in Kentucky or rivers in India or forests in northwest America as if they existed only for economic development. Systems of land and river become inert chunks of lifeless mud or mechanical runs of H2O rather than the living, breathing bodies upon which we and all other creatures depend for our very lives.

Not to mention what 'nature as machine' has done to our emotional and spiritual well-being. When we regard nature as churning its way forward mindlessly through time, we turn our backs on mystery, shunning the complexity as well as the delights of relationship. We isolate ourselves from the rest of the creatures with whom we share this world. We imagine ourselves the apex of creation -- a lonely spot indeed. Human minds become the measure of creation and human thoughts become the only ones that count. The result is a concept of mind shorn of its wild connections, in which feelings become irrelevant, daydreams are mere distractions, and nighttime dreams -- if we attend to them at all -- are but the cast-offs of yesterday's overactive brain. Mind is cut off from matter, untouched by exingencies of mud or leaf, shaped by whispers or gales of wind, as if we were not, like rocks, made of soil.

And then we wonder at our sadness and depression, not realizing that our own view of reality has sunk us into an unbearable solipsism, an agony of separateness -- from loved ones, from other creatures, from rich but unruly emotions, in short, from our ability to connect, through senses and feeling and imagination, with the world that is our home.”
2 likes
“[But] just as unseen worlds unfold to those who read a book, so worlds hidden to hurried sight unfold to those who choose to spend more than a few moments cultivating their relationship with nature. Paying attention is the key: we interact with each other when we allow it to engage our attention, when we 'read' it with absorption, as we would read a book. [Even] the ficus tree in the office cubicle or the oak planted in the urban sidewalk offers undreamed-of wonders to those who pay attention. Just because to literate people reading a book is unremarkable, available to anyone who can learn the alphabet, it is no less magical. Among my people, children are taught to read books; among some other peoples, children are taught to read the trees.” 2 likes