Start by marking “Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal” as Want to Read:
Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal

Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices For Personal Renewal

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  79 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In a fast-paced world full of distractions, spiritual practice can help us become more centered-more in touch with ourselves and others, more in touch with the world around us, more in touch with God. Sacred Pauses is an introduction to this more centered way of life.

The author, a pastor in British Columbia, begins with her own longing for personal renewal. What would it t
Published February 1st 2013 by Herald Press

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Pauses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Pauses

Gloria
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-spirit
A female Canadian-of-Chinese-descent Mennonite pastor shares spiritual practices that are in many ways a Christian version of the subject of mindfulness. Each chapter is an essay and thus this should be read in small portions in order to absorb all its goodness. The tone is friendly and kind, and the messages should appeal to people of almost any belief system. It has a contemporary feel and the suggestions are all appealing. This isn't necessarily breaking new ground, but she has collected here ...more
Rosalie
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great book! It is sectioned off into such readable chapters, where you can easily skip some if desired (I didn't). April weaves her own experiences with suggestions, reflections and challenges. The entire book is easily digested and enjoyable to read, yet challenging if you so choose. Reading it feels like talking to April in person. I particularly enjoyed the last few chapters. I would probably give this book a 4.5
Leigh Kramer
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I appreciated Yamasaki's look at spiritual practices and her tips on how to incorporate them into our day to day. The first chapter was the most thought-provoking to me, as I don't recall seeing that practice mentioned in other resources.
Michelle
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Perhaps one of the most approachable books on spiritual disciples that I have read
J. Bill
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a superb survey of practices that we can use to help us in Sabbath-taking throughout our busy lives -- not just on Sundays!
Mattmarie Mast
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I used this book in a woman's formation group...I highly recommend it. It keeps giving even after one reads it.
Hannah Notess
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to find books about spiritual practice that seem even remotely relevant me at this busy stage of life. I just feel irritated when a writer's like "oh well, I went on a weeklong retreat in the woods, la di da." Thankfully, this book is different!

I love how the spiritual disciplines as Yamasaki describes them in this book are daily invitations into life with God ... and very accessible to me.
Danny
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
First of all I have to admit my bias. I know April personally. I also have to admit that this book exceeded my expectations. This is not because I know April, but because I have read many books on spiritual discipline and thought, foolishly, that my understanding of the topic was exhaustive. This book helped me to take the years of gathering information and add these practices to my life in a more natural way then any other attempt.

I have started using this book in my mentoring appointments an
Jeannette
Oct 28, 2014
Sharon
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • Eager to Love: The Alternative Way of Francis of Assisi
  • The Alphabet of Grace
  • Fifty Shades of Grace: Stories of Inspiration and Promise
  • Letters to Marc About Jesus: Living a Spiritual Life in a Material World
  • To Love as God Loves
April Yamasaki is the lead pastor of a mid-size, multi-staff church, and the author of Four Gifts: Seeking Self-Care for Heart, Soul, Mind, and Strength, Sharing Faith Stories, Christ is For Us: A Lenten Study based on the Revised Common Lectionary; Sacred Pauses: Spiritual Practices for Personal Renewal; and other books on Christian living.

Her main website is Writing and Other Acts of Faith, whic