Start by marking “Bec (The Demonata, #4)” as Want to Read:
Bec (The Demonata, #4)

Bec

(The Demonata #4)

The fourth novel in this bonechilling series by Darren Shan, author of the New York Times bestselling Cirque Du Freak series, will keep readers turning page after horrifying page.

As demonic Fomorii ravage their land, Bec and a band of warrior companions leave their devastated rath to answer a plea for help. An orphaned priestess-in-training, Bec hopes the journey will hel
Published May 31st 2007 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bec, please sign up.
Cyringe It depends on the chronological plot .
may be this link will help http://cirquedufreak.wikia.com/wiki/T...

WARNING : Some bit of spoilers …more
It depends on the chronological plot .
may be this link will help http://cirquedufreak.wikia.com/wiki/T...

WARNING : Some bit of spoilers (less)

Start your review of Bec (The Demonata, #4)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Bec (The Demonata #4), Darren Shan
Bec is a book by Darren Shan in The Demonata series. It is the fourth book of the series released but it is first chronologically. The protagonist of the book is the central character Bec. It is set in Ireland around 1600 years ago. The last line of the book, "Screams in the dark," is also the first line of the book, as well as the tagline for the novel. Bec is the end of the first part of the Demonata books, where the three protagonists are introduced.
تاریخ نخس
Sita
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People into the YA Horror genre
Recommended to Sita by: My Lovely American Friend Cam
description

Before I give the review let me just start by saying that Darren Shan is one of my all time favourite authors and I am not a huge fan of horror, his writing, characters and plot’s just captivate me and keep me reading. I recommend all of his books. But this has to be one of my favourites in the Demonata series.

Characters: 9/10
I loved all the characters. There were evil ones and good ones; you’d think it would be as simple as that, but no. In most books, it’s black and white. “That guys the evil
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

“To be a druid is to embrace death, dance with it a while, and finally fall prey to it. That is why we'll never rule this world. We have the power to bend all men to our whim, but are forever pushing ourselves further,trying to fly higher...and falling”

Bec is a good book, different from the others, a prequel of sorts, very high in fantasy level. While the others were in more modern times and touched by our world, this one is instead high fantasy, in a desolate world not our own, one which follo
Mike
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Come on man. Shan is amazing at what he does. Just the right blend of horror and over-the-top. This book brings in emotion in a way you can't ignore. Also, it's here that the books begin to really hold hands and tie-in.

What else? Bran. Is there another thing?

I dunno man. But this and book #2 are probably my favorites.
Rawan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 -ish
I expected more of this book to be honest. It wasn't bad, but the ending wasn't great, yet it was unexpected. It wasn't really exciting and I didn't feel enthusiasm in the language. I just felt it was so monotonic. I am not sure if it resembles the narrator or the author, but it wasn't likable. The plot was overall nice, and you could establish a character for every character in the story, if you get what I mean. That's basically all I have to this book.
Ninth
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Like gore? its yours.
Recommended to Ninth by: NUMEY!
5 Celtic stars

Someone pushed the REWIND button!

Its fuckin 5th Century AD or so! Old times rock!

So stuff begins with a neat biology related thingy. Then we find that we have ANOTHER major protagonist.

BEC. Meaning "The little one", Chic with awesome powers. Magic, healing and stuff. And oh! A BLOODY PERFECT MEMORY! i.e She could remember everything she heard, saw, felt or remember every guy she dated and so on...Hell! Chemistry reactions would have been helluva lot easier if she gave that lil
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Bec. The Little One. The one who Lord Loss has shared magic with... The book was so scary and had lots of gore! Bran was a good one :) Run Fast! :D What made me wonder was the theme of the book...Lord Loss didn't know chess then...the gods were Celtic and the year was 5th century AD....

Also, the most painful thing in the book...
(view spoiler)
Jason
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
5 Stars

Bec, book 4 in the Demonata series by Darren Shan is a prequel to the series as a whole. What a remarkable rewind. Shan has struck gold with this one again and he did it with both an amazing plot and with incredible characters.

I loved little Bec(her name means "little one"). She is truly a fabulous main protagonist. She is likable and easy to empathize with. Bec is grounded, caring, and loyal. All attributes that are needed to be a successful priestess. Bec is not naive and is worldly. H
Nicole
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-09-read
Bec
By Darren Shan
256 pages. United States.
Little Brown & Co. $16.99
ISBN: 0316013897
(12 & up)

Are you ready to get mentally challenged? Not really, but this book will totally give you the worst nightmare. From Demons, to Druids then to human. This book takes place between 400 A.D and 500 A.D. –which explains why Christian was so unfamiliar to the people in the story.

Bec, the protagonist of the story is about to take on an amazing journey, a journey she would have never expected, and through
Lilly
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anastasia
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5-stars
I liked Bec. I did. But I was reading it kind of like get back to the main story already... so 4/5 stars.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a great book!
Recommended to Liberty by: my son
I find reviewing the Shan books difficult because its hard to not talk spoilers. So please forgive the vagueness of my review...I don't want to spoil anything for you!

Another great book but more sadness in this one. More of a prequel it takes place around the time Christianity is developing and centers around a character named Bec, a young priestess in training that was found as an infant and raised by strangers.
The doorway to the demon world is being opened and a small group of warriors must f
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this book we’re once again back to finding out the story of Grubbs.

Again Grubbs is developing as a character, although for completely different reasons to those in prior books. Another well-paced book in the series, keeping you hooked from start to end. Moreover, this one ends on a cliff-hanger being part of two books which run one after another unlike the prior books in the series which seem to jump about in time a bit (unless you have read them in chronological order).
Kate
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacca
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember this one standing out to me when I was younger and I can see why. It's much more mature than the others with a great story and a fascinating setting.

It's set in, I think, roughly late Medieval Ireland and uses Middle Irish terms to complete the setting. There's a backdrop of Christian invasion which plays interestingly into the fantasy of the magical beings and demon world.

Whilst re-visiting the other books has been a bit of nostalgic fun, this book was a genuine pleasure to re-read
Jeff Ballarn0
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This fourth Demonata book blew my socks off because the first three books are all about modern day, while this one is a prequel that hugely impacts the modern world. Taking place centuries before the other books. A new character, Bec, is a great character and a breath of fresh air being that before this book you were angsty dudes. Really explores the magic aspect which isnt as present in the other books. Favorite in the series.
Tyler Grossman
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The theme is believe in your leader. One reason is Bec was asked by a druib to help him close the portal that let the demons come through. She did not what she had to do to help him but she wanted the demons gone so she came along.
Jessica Gleason
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of the series thus far. It can be severely brutal, but illustrates any interesting world.
Holly
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is maybe the most disturbing of all the Demonata books, and that's saying something. The ending of this book haunted me for weeks after I first read it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens this time around. It's terrifying and twisted, and yet it's right for these books, it's necessary. I'm not sure I would have the courage to write something that is so awful, yet brilliant, and depressing. It's one of my favourite books in the series, I think Bec is a great character because sh ...more
Abby
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've loved Darren Shan since I got hooked on his Cirque Du Freak series, and I didn't think he could top it. Guess what? I was wrong. BEC is the fourth book in the Demonata series, and it is probably the best series I have ever read. Ever. As far as BEC goes, I have to admit, it starts out pretty slow, with over half the book being Bec and her friends journeying to a new land. But after awhile it grabs you and doesn't let you go even after you've put it down - the ending will blow you away.
Bec i
Paranormal_Madness
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What I liked:
-Bec. I really love Bec. She’s a very intelligent girl, and she’s very resourceful. Not to mention she’s very selfless, especially in the end. I felt like she was very relatable, and it was surprising that Darren Shan could write such an authentic girl character as well as such authentic boy characters. I prefer Kernel, but Bec is probably my second favorite narrator.
-Setting. I felt like Darren Shan did quite a bit of research about the world he was creating. It felt like I was rig
Celine
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is often shelved as children's book, it comes with a warning: this series is Seriously Scary. And it definitely deserves this label. Darren Shan is a master in writing true horrifying stories.

Set in times where Christianity is rising and destroying the Old Fait, Bec doesn't know who her parents are. She is the sixteen-years-old priestess of a small town. When their town is being attacked by demons over and over again, she joins a small group of warriors sent off on a mission that
Ariya
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This book is so important for many reasons.

(view spoiler)
Fernando Ramirez
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In the novel "BEC", the main caracteres are Bec, lord loss(demon lord), Drust,and run fast(a littel boy with no name). They'er all in the past around when cristianity was growing. Bec and the rest of her tribe were getting attact by demons every night or so. Then a kid out of nowere came out and asked Bec and rest of here tribe to follow, but they only sent Bec and other 4 more. When they got there they met a druid named Drust how tells them that he might now were the demons are coming from, and ...more
Kieran
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Bec is about a girl who Is becoming a Priestess . She lives in a small village but was not originally from that village . She has a perfect memory of when when she was born . Her mother ran away from her village to give birth to Bec . A warrior named Goll found her and named her "Little One" . Now the village is under attack from the Demonata. Bec has to learn NEW Magic from a male Druid , and have to close the tunnel between the Human world , and the world of the Demonata .

I thought this boo
Chappy
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This instalment in the series felt completely different from he others, a new time setting, all new characters and just a different feel to what we are use to from the first three books. I should do a list of my fav demonata books cause this would defenitly be in the top five, it's rich in demonata history and important moments that tie in later with the rest of the series.
If your reading the demonata for the first time, feel free to read this book first as it makes an awesome prequel and can b
Apoorva
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think the book “BEC: screams in the dark” by Darren Shan was really enjoyable. It was horror, creepy and awesome. I liked it because I like horror, mysterious and full of adventures kind of book and this book was horror and it had all the elements, which a horror book should have. The way the devil and demons were described in the story was good you could imagine the horrifying demons they were different and dreadful. The language and words I think were chosen carefully so that it matches the ...more
Selina Ma
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 8th-grade
Sinai Bardales
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was not as good as the two previous books, but i still really liked it. The main character is called Bec. She was good at working with magic. She lived as one of the first people to live. She was one of the prettiest girls in her tribe. In her timei there was a tunnel open to the demon realm so demons would attach just about every night and they had a really hard time because of the demons. She met a little boy who didn't really talk because he didn't know how to and he ...more
-ˋˏc a i s e eˎˊ-
So Get This:
This book was my favourite one out of the series. I liked the story line and the way that it was written. I like Darren Shan as an author- i think that the way he thinks is pretty cool- he comes up with all these kinds of demons that are really cool. But what I remember about this book most is the ending. It wasn't something I'd expected from Darren Shan. But I really liked it even though it made me a little sad :P
What else can i say...? Well i can't tell you all to like this book,
Goodreads Librari...: add page numbers 7 23 Jun 25, 2018 12:06PM
Lord Loss 2 52 Jul 10, 2011 02:13PM

• Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)
  • Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)
  • Good Girls Die First
  • 食戟のソーマ 5 [Shokugeki no Souma 5] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #5)
  • The Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy, #1)
  • ペルソナ5 1 (Persona 5, #1)
  • Flight of the Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fire Thief Fights Back (Fire Thief Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Origins (Level 26, #1)
  • قصه‌های من و بابام / لبخند ماه
  • Shadow Castle
  • The Dark Flight Down (Book of Dead Days, #2)
  • Rose Red & Snow White: A Grimms Fairy Tale
  • Suffering Scientists
  • Shocking Electricity (Horrible Science)
  • Explosive Experiments (Horrible Science)
  • Het leven uit een dag
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak

The Demonata (10 books)
  • Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1)
  • Demon Thief (The Demonata, #2)
  • Slawter (The Demonata, #3)
  • Blood Beast (The Demonata, #5)
  • Demon Apocalypse (The Demonata, #6)
  • Death's Shadow (The Demonata, #7)
  • Wolf Island (The Demonata, #8)
  • Dark Calling (The Demonata, #9)
  • Hell's Heroes (The Demonata, #10)